GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a slight noise coming from their main sunroof while driving, kinda like it is moving. Mine is making this slight noise, it is kind of annoying...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my 08' SLT. Some of my observations. I only noticed this since the weather started getting cooler in the fall. I did not hear this noise in the summer. Doesn't happen all the time when it's cool, but when it does happen, I can make it happen more by turning the wheel side to side quickly while in motion (at lowspeed) or by placing my palm on the glass from inside, and applying slight pressure. My thought is the roof is flexing, and causing the sunroof seal to squeak against it. I had the dealership take a look at it, and they torqued all the sunroof bolts to spec, but it's still happening ... sometimes. I dropped it off at the dealership today to get the front license bracket removed, and the holes filled, and mentioned that the sunroof problem is still there. Not sure what they'll find. This is the front sunroof that makes the noise, and I find if very annoying also. Makes me wonder if there isn't something that be applied to the seal to make it not squeak, like silicone spray, or other. Hard to describe, combination leaf flap, and squeak/rattle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our '08 is going in for servicing next week to get the seals checked on the sun roofs. Never had a problem until this winter when there was a lot of snow and ice. Suddenly we have water leaking into the cab in 2 places.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
lornix said:
Our '08 is going in for servicing next week to get the seals checked on the sun roofs. Never had a problem until this winter when there was a lot of snow and ice. Suddenly we have water leaking into the cab in 2 places.
Welcome to the forum. Have you had the sunroof drain hose recall done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

No not yet, but it goes in for service right away and the leaks are on the block to be repaired.

·
Registered
635 Posts
k2 said:
I noticed the same thing on my 08' SLT. Some of my observations. I only noticed this since the weather started getting cooler in the fall. I did not hear this noise in the summer. Doesn't happen all the time when it's cool, but when it does happen, I can make it happen more by turning the wheel side to side quickly while in motion (at lowspeed) or by placing my palm on the glass from inside, and applying slight pressure. My thought is the roof is flexing, and causing the sunroof seal to squeak against it. I had the dealership take a look at it, and they torqued all the sunroof bolts to spec, but it's still happening ... sometimes. I dropped it off at the dealership today to get the front license bracket removed, and the holes filled, and mentioned that the sunroof problem is still there. Not sure what they'll find. This is the front sunroof that makes the noise, and I find if very annoying also. Makes me wonder if there isn't something that be applied to the seal to make it not squeak, like silicone spray, or other. Hard to describe, combination leaf flap, and squeak/rattle.
It could also be air pressure forcing the sunroof up a little, I have noticed this once, but not to the extent you guys are talking about. I have the wind/sun shield on mine and that may be what is keeping it from being noisey.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed an occasional noise of unknown origin coming from the interior rear for the first 4 months of ownership, but more like a quiet tapping. I thought it may have been the sliding screen for the main sunroof, but was never able to isolate that, and it seems to have gone away now. It came and went w/out any specific conditions noticed as a cause. I tried looking over my shoulder while driving, and I also checked the usual suspects (hanging seat belt, loose seat lock, etc.), but the noise has lessened to the point of rarely-ever now. My car was on the lot for 6 months before my purchase, so it's now been a year since its manufacture. Hopefully whatever it was has 'settled in' now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't heard the sunroof noise since the dealership service on Friday. If it comes back I will try the following advise from the owners manual:
Weatherstrips
Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them
last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak.
Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth. During
very cold, damp weather frequent application may
be required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some follow up information. I found that GM issued Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) "99-08-64-016A Use of Silicone for Weatherstrip maintenance" that lists U.S. part numbers 12345579 (Goodwrench Dielectric Silicone Grease), and 3634770 (Goodwrench Weatherstrip Lubricant (Krytox*)). I ordered the weatherstrip lubricant from gmpartsdirect.com as it was much cheaper then the local dealerships parts department who wanted $80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a vibration noise coming from my sunroof at 65MPH when fully opened. It was the wind deflector. GM repalced it and the noise is gone. I had to fight them for it, but a couple rivets is all it takes to replace it. No sound other than wind now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ktchristie - I am experiencing the same vibration noise when my sunroof is open and I'm moving at 65 -70 mph. It sounds like a helicopter is inside my car. I reached up and touched the pop-up wind deflector and it was vibrating like crazy. When I applied a little pressure to keep it from vibrating the helicopter noise went away. Can you tell me what your GM dealer replaced your deflector with? Was a GM part and if so might you have the part number. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem on their '09 Acadia?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts