GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Quick reference, have a 08 Acadia SLE, FWD with almost 200k. Trans, or what I thought was tran began giving me trouble around 120k but don't have 5k to replace it nor the equipment to pull it. I keep the fluid changed and checked plus knowing how it reacts, can get by, actual have for 75k. A person I know who owns a shop told me years ago that yes it was the trans but it needed motor/trans mounts replaced. I had him change the mounts but again, waited on the trans. I do most of the work on the Acadia myself unless I need a lift or specialized tools.

Now here's what I found yesterday and need you guys help with. Left headlight went out so I was changing it which I can do fairly quick now. Had wheel turned so I could get to the light, all front inner wheel well shrouding removed. After changing, I was inspecting the struts when I noticed the lower engine motor mount or what I thought was the trans mount near the bottom of the A frame. The upper stud instead of being screwed down had the bolt only a couple of turns onto the threads. Had a washer on it which was also next to the bolt. Screw probably has a good 1.5" of thread before the mounting plate. I couldn't hand turn the bolt nor make the washer drop.

So after the long winded thread, my question is, should this be bolted all the way down or is it suppose to have this much play in it? Doesn't appear to be moving or the threads would be damaged but it also could cause excessive rocking if it should be bolted tight.

Hopefully you guys understand me, I'm not a pro mechanic, only shade tree, so my descriptions or terminology could be wrong. Thanks, Dave

·
Super Moderator
18,794 Posts
This video should answer the question for you. Look at views of both removal and final installation. The Enclave mount is a little different, but the principles of removal and installation will be the same for Acadia.

·
Super Moderator
18,794 Posts
Does the person who changed the mount guarantee their workmanship for any period of time? If so and time/mileage hasn't expired, it could be worthwhile to talk with them about the mount installation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Speleos, I saw the video but needed a second opinion, pretty much knew y'all would know. Haven't posted much here but you guys have sure helped me in the past.
As far as the Acadia, like any vehicle you buy from 2000 on, they're a monster to work on. Still, I'm retired, have always liked working on my own cars, and over the years have gotten better with taking my time, leaving it when frustrated.
This was only a stroke of luck in finding, I'll tighten it down and with any luck the vibration we can feel will stop.
As far as the shop, the guys a friend and he pretty much guarantees workmanship for life. I'll talk to him, make sure he knows, even 4-5 years ago he has records, shows what mechanic did it.
Main thing now is could this shoddy workmanship cause other problems, prematurely wear out other parts? That would be hard to prove I know but it helps my own knowledge.
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
18,794 Posts
Main thing now is could this shoddy workmanship cause other problems, prematurely wear out other parts? That would be hard to prove I know but it helps my own knowledge.
I wouldn't want to speculate about that. A lot of it would depend on your driving style. Any wear might be minimal if you drove the vehicle gently most of the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of follow ups. I tightened the nut down myself, you could not turn it by hand until the nut was half way down the stud. Used blue LockTite just to make sure it stayed but once tightened, it ain't going any where.
Haven't talked to the shop yet but next time I'm close to them, I will. Owner needs to know an I want to verify it was this mount they replaced.
The other thing is, the Acadia drives better, had a shake in it when you backed up then took off, I figured trans. Wife says it doesn't do it now. She also said the trans didn't buck like it was doing or not as bad.
If just tightening that nut did this, it's weird but I've seen strange things with cars in the past, this is in the top five!

·
Super Moderator
18,794 Posts
Good to know. Thanks for the follow-up. (y) I know of people who experienced similar bucking/shaking issues when the trans mount failed on a longitudinally-mounted drive train. Stuff happens!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts