GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all... This is my very first post. I just picked up a 2021 Acadia SLT V6 yesterday and to my disbelief, I noticed there was no undercarriage engine protection cover. Is this a mistake or is this how the new Arcadia comes from the factory? I see the notches on the sub frame for the plastic anchors for a cover. Did it ever have the cover on previous model years, and is this a new cost savings delete from GMC? Thanks all. PS. If this is the intention of GMC, is there an aftermarket cover to fit? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2013 Acadia SLT1 "Andy"
56 Posts
My 2009 traverse didn't have one and neither does our 13 acadia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? wow! Thanks, but totally hard to believe. Why wouldn't they have the undercarriage protected from the elements including rain and snow? Would you know if there might be a kit to install one? I see places to have the cover secured to the underbody. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I never thought to look. Don't think I've ever had a vehicle that had one, and honestly unsure why it would be helpful on an Acadia...

Reactions: Gmcde3 and GEORGEC

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Neither my '11 or my '18 had one. The undercarriage of most vehicles don't need protection from the elements.

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
... I see the notches on the sub frame for the plastic anchors for a cover. ...
Those 'notches' you see are likely the attachment points for a wrecker operator's tow hooks.

·
Registered
2013 Acadia SLT1 "Andy"
56 Posts
Ive never checked to see if one could be installed. I agree with the folks, there isn't a need for one. I've seen them on Hondas and kias.

Besides, I wouldn't plan on off roading in the Acadia anyways..lol

Good luck if you can find one.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I never thought to look. Don't think I've ever had a vehicle that had one, and honestly unsure why it would be helpful on an Acadia...
I am with the never had a vehicle with cover and do not know why it would be needed group.

George

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
What's an "Arcadia" anyway?? 🤣 :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
Besides, I wouldn't plan on off roading in the Acadia anyways..lol
I would hope an Acadia designed for off-road use would have heavy gauge METAL skid plates and not some flimsy plastic crap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is my first new domestic vehicle. Every import I've owned had an undercarriage cover including my present cars. It really helps in keeping the engine compartment cleaner and any electrical components protected from excess moisture and water. If I were able to get an aftermarket cover, I'd definitely consider it. Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
This is my first new domestic vehicle. Every import I've owned had an undercarriage cover including my present cars. It really helps in keeping the engine compartment cleaner and any electrical components protected from excess moisture and water. If I were able to get an aftermarket cover, I'd definitely consider it. Thanks everyone for all the feedback.
I've owned multiple foreign vehicles. Subaru Outback is the only one that had an undercarriage cover.

I would only expect it on off road vehicles.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think some people may see a skid plate and confuse it with an undercarriage protector.

George

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve owned many GMs to higher mileages, one even lasted to 350,000 miles, and except for the Pontiac GTOs I owned (which were Holdens made in Australia) none had undercarriage protection and never needed it. My BIL Escape has one and it’s a pain to remove for maintenance needs.

Reactions: Bocatrip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve owned many GMs to higher mileages, one even lasted to 350,000 miles, and except for the Pontiac GTOs I owned (which were Holdens made in Australia) none had undercarriage protection and never needed it. My BIL Escape has one and it’s a pain to remove for maintenance needs.
Yes, I am now aware that many domestic cars don't have the cover. I have owned only imported cars, most of which had the undercarriage cover. My main concern initially, was that with all the electronics and modules on the Acadia, it would have been nice to get the extra protection from the heavy rains that I experience where I live. I'm sure it will be fine, as I do not even drive 5,000 miles a year. Thanks everyone for all the imput.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I am still not quite understanding what @Bocatrip means by under carriage cover?
Unless it is something like the picture below of the one that the Chevy Sonic was originally equipped with in 2012 and then a year later GM deleted it.

I managed to get one from a GM dealer online and installed it on wife's 2017 Sonic LT, but alas, it got damaged and had to be removed.

On the Sonic it was often referred to as an under cover, "belly pan" or another non descriptive term in the parts list.

Buick Encore has a similar undercarriage cover but covers much less.

The first picture is with it attached with the fastener locations indicated. The second is the cover itself.
2012 Sonic Under Body Fasteners Lrg Edit.jpg Sonic Underbody Cover  Part No 95016301 Fastener Locations.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
It really serves no constructive purpose unless you're constantly traveling at speeds >80 mph.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Many owners of the Sonic indicated is also works well on that small car it improved travel at interstate speeds and reduced buffeting. Also, some indicated a +1 to +2 MPG improvement.
I can say on wife's Sonic that it did seem to improve and reduce buffeting and stability at even 65 to 70 MPH. It also seemed like less wind noise at highway speeds.

Reactions: Bocatrip

·
Super Moderator
21,753 Posts
A splitter will do the same thing - and not piss off the techs who have to fix the car.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Actually, the lower front of the 2017-20 Sonic is a moderate splitter type design. Perhaps why they designed it that way once the under pan was deleted.

Sonic Tint Lighter Edit A (2).jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts