GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have the GMX-320 with an extra video input I was thinking about a low-light front camera for those really dark or foggy nights. I've found a couple of cameras that specifically say they can be installed in front. Anyone else thinking of this? Especially someone with the necessary skills to design a clean (looks nice or not noticeable) and safe (no arcs and sparks or battery drain). Being a DOBM (Dumb Old Business Major) and an analog guy in a digital world I really need help with the electronics.
???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bump!

I'm going to bump this because I'm trying to do the same thing. Got the Coastal Tech GMX320 and it has options for Front and side camera's. But the problem I'm having is finding the regular camera. Most I'm finding are for REAR VIEW - that is, they REVERSE the picture like you were looking thru a mirror. I want a front camera (and maybe even side camera!) to check spacing, garage, etc.

Anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
chavey said:
Bump!

I'm going to bump this because I'm trying to do the same thing. Got the Coastal Tech GMX320 and it has options for Front and side camera's. But the problem I'm having is finding the regular camera. Most I'm finding are for REAR VIEW - that is, they REVERSE the picture like you were looking thru a mirror. I want a front camera (and maybe even side camera!) to check spacing, garage, etc.

Anyone done this?
Why don't you just put bubble wrap around the darn vehicle, or park it and not drive it. :thumb: :eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
GMX does offer the owner the video options to play with one's ride. Utility is subjective.

I haven't come to grips as to how a front camera helps. In addition, it would seem to always get dirty with no body protecting the lens. Same would go with side carmeras. It would take me just as long to turn my head as it would be to get the cameras on. And with no "front assist", visual detection of foreign bodies at anything above 10mpg is mute.

The rear camera originally was a benny for me (08 Nav) but it has provided me value with parking and the blind area from behind. I'm not seeing the parking utility with the other options - tight home garage maybe? Front could help with lower visibility...but, I haven't found a scenario where I could use it - even on rare ocassions - not to say some wouldn't.

But, if you want to max out GMX utility...and not want extra internal video options...go for it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually, front camera is to help with parking in the garage. Very tight with 2 cars, motorcycle, tool cabinets, refridgerator, etc. The camera on the front bumper would allow me to see how close to the wall I am. Also useful in parking lots for same thing with other car opposite me.

So now that everyone's mocked me, anyone know where I can get the camera.

(BTW, talked to a friend who uses it on a big off road truck to watch his suspension. So where's the pffft!! smilie?)

Reactions: Motor702

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can find plenty of back up cameras - but they all reverse the image (I think) to make it look like your checking your mirror. I want to find a regular camera that doesn't reverse the image. I figured I just wanted to get one to mount to the top of the license plate to save drilling a hole in the bumper, but all I can find is the reverse cameras for that. I can't confirm if they have a setting to not reverse the image.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone ever find one?

What about the one that coastaletech offers with the 320 system? Anyone know if that one is able to "not" reverse the image?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Coastal ETech website states their cameras can be configured for standard or mirror image. Not sure how that's accomplished, but dat's wat day say...

·
Registered
9 Posts
All of my cameras have 2 wires that are connected to reverse the image. The instructions say to disconnect them for regular image. I am thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
robjae said:
All of my cameras have 2 wires that are connected to reverse the image. The instructions say to disconnect them for regular image. I am thinking of doing the same thing.
If I remember correctly when I called them they say just disconnect the "green" wire (could be wrong) that reverses the image.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have a couple of exterior security cameras on my home that run on 12V DC. They are a lot larger than the rear cameras used on the Acadia, but I'd think you could mount them somewhere up front. They have IR emitters so the night vision is good out to about 30 feet or so.

I got them at a place called Security Cameras Direct. They may sell something similar and smaller for vehicular use.

·
Registered
533 Posts
What is the source of your 12 pwr for those cams? How many "tv lines" of resolution are the?

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Smooth said:
What is the source of your 12 power for those cams? How many "tv lines" of resolution are they?

Smooth <><[/color]
They have 110VAC to 12VDC converters with them. They use a barrel type of connector, so an after market voltage adapter cord could be used, or you could just cut off the AC adapter cord and use an inline fuse to power it. The last one I bought was a better (much) model, it is rated at 550 lines and was $250 earlier this year. The item # was CFC6052VF. I see it is $260 now.

Their website is different than the usual their name.com:
http://www.scdlink.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts