GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else here think their Acadia has unusually loud exhaust for a new vehicle?

I've only just noticed it over the past couple months. I can't pinpoint exactly when it came to my attention. It's loudest when I accelerate. Like louder than I think a new vehicle should be. Mostly that sounds like it's coming from within the engine compartment though.

And then yesterday driving home, I swear I heard some exhaust noise coming from underneath the rear of the vehicle. Maybe my imagination is playing tricks on me. Or maybe my Acadia's 46,000 miles is finally catching up with the exhaust. :-\

I guess it's not that bothersome. If I turn my radio on and at a normal listening level, I hardly notice the exhaust noise. This isn't covered by warranty anymore, so I'm not all that anxious to drag it back into the dealership for a looksee. *sigh*

·
Registered
428 Posts
If it sounds louder than it used to you need to get under the vehicle or have someone do it for you and look for holes in the exhaust pipes or the mufflers themselves. You might have some rust holes starting to open up in the exhaust causing it to be louder than before. That or the mufflers are starting to break down on the inside.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
If the leak is at the catalytic converter, that is covered by the smog warranty- it is longer than basic, I think like 80K miles & 5 years? Wouldn't hurt to ask your favorite service rep.

:poke:
Or you could get some flame decals and large chrome wheels. Your call.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
If the leak is at the catalytic converter, that is covered by the smog warranty- it is longer than basic, I think like 80K miles & 5 years? Wouldn't hurt to ask your favorite service rep.

:poke:
Or you could get some flame decals and large chrome wheels. Your call.
Just think how unique your Acadia would be with flames ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
No, but I have noticed that at idle the Acadia has a deeper "rumble/burble" from the exhaust pipes when standing at the rear of the vehicle than the Enclave does. Strange that it is more pronounced on the Acadia, but I like it.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Web Raven said:
Does anyone else here think their Acadia has unusually loud exhaust for a new vehicle?

I've only just noticed it over the past couple months. I can't pinpoint exactly when it came to my attention. It's loudest when I accelerate. Like louder than I think a new vehicle should be. Mostly that sounds like it's coming from within the engine compartment though.

And then yesterday driving home, I swear I heard some exhaust noise coming from underneath the rear of the vehicle. Maybe my imagination is playing tricks on me. Or maybe my Acadia's 46,000 miles is finally catching up with the exhaust. :-\

I guess it's not that bothersome. If I turn my radio on and at a normal listening level, I hardly notice the exhaust noise. This isn't covered by warranty anymore, so I'm not all that anxious to drag it back into the dealership for a looksee. *sigh*
Web, that's what all the kids are doing these days, I'll bet your son thinks it sounds cool and does not want you to change a thing ;D :rock: :bootyshake:

·
Registered
79 Posts
6Sixathome said:
Web Raven said:

Web, that's what all the kids are doing these days, I'll bet your son thinks it sounds cool and does not want you to change a thing ;D :rock: :bootyshake:
Maybe he has been crawling around drilling holes in the exhaust sytem to give it that muscle car sound! :angel: I haven't noticed tha acadia being very loud at all, but... I am used to my V8 with duel exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to give you guys the wrong impression. It's not like it's rumbling down the road disturbing the peace. It just seems like for a new(er) vehicle, it should be so quiet I don't even have to think that it's running. LOL The engine seems a little whiney to me again too. It just seems like something is not quite right. Maybe I'm too in tune with my vehicle.

As soon as we have a little dry weather, I'll get under there and see if there's anything visibly wrong. If I can't find anything, then I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the dealer take a look at it next time I have it in for an oil change or something.

I was just curious to see if anyone else here thought their Acadia was louder than usual. Seems like I must be the only crackpot who thinks that. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
I don't want to give you guys the wrong impression. It's not like it's rumbling down the road disturbing the peace. It just seems like for a new(er) vehicle, it should be so quiet I don't even have to think that it's running. LOL The engine seems a little whiney to me again too. It just seems like something is not quite right. Maybe I'm too in tune with my vehicle.

As soon as we have a little dry weather, I'll get under there and see if there's anything visibly wrong. If I can't find anything, then I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the dealer take a look at it next time I have it in for an oil change or something.

I was just curious to see if anyone else here thought their Acadia was louder than usual. Seems like I must be the only crackpot who thinks that. ;)
Are your roads salted in the winter and when you purchase a vehicle does the dealership offer any kind of under carriage sealant?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jsimms said:
Web Raven said:

Are your roads salted in the winter and when you purchase a vehicle does the dealership offer any kind of under carriage sealant?
The answers are yes and yes. And yes I had that done when I purchased the vehicle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ohh i love the subtle throaty sound of the acadia. Kinda wished it was slightly louder! ;D
Another 10-20% louder would be great! Like how the sound of the Infiniti FX! But i'm not going to touch the muffler. I'll leave it stock!
I also love the QUAD Muffler tips! They're available on ebay. I'm thinking of doing a custom quad exhaust on my C-class using those same exact tips.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I wonder is someone would throw on some glass packs and let's see how loud that is :pickme:

·
Registered
428 Posts
jsimms said:
I wonder is someone would throw on some glass packs and let's see how loud that is :pickme:
Since you suggested it why dont you do it??????

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Not something I want to do;I thought maybe someone else would take on that adventure :)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Didn't sandman put Magnaflows or Flowmasters or something (no offense if I didn't get it right ;) ) on his Acadia?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yep, put both on. ;D
Long story elsewhere (do a search for either one and it should show up).
I really like magnaflows because they are stainless steel duals (pics should show up when you do a search).

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Does anybody have a sound clip of what one of the Lambdas would sound like with flowmasters, or any other aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
752 Posts
09Enclave said:
Does anybody have a sound clip of what one of the Lambdas would sound like with flowmasters, or any other aftermarket exhaust?
I finally found my posts with pics and sound. By the way the search engine really sucks (nothing personal guys). I had to look through a ton of my stuff to find this. Anyway pics and sound and why I did what I did. Sound was done with a mp3 player so not really great.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1054.0

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thanks, I wasn't on this forum back when you posted that. I enjoyed listening to it, and seeing some of the comments. For the Acadia, I would think this is the best you can get it to sound, being a V6. Also, the tips look great, because they are almost identical to what the stock ones look like. However, I don't think they would look good on my Enclave, because I like the tips I have, and don't want to get away from that....perhaps they may have mufflers without the tips? But, that's not really what the Enclave is about....it's about quiet. Eventhough I like performance sounding exhaust...I have flowmasters on my 72 GTO....I don't think they would be right on an Enclave. The Acadia is more sporty, and more rugged SUV'ish, eventhough it's similar to the Enclave, the exhausts you have suit it better then the Enclave.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You could just replace the main stock muffler, with a flowmaster and keep your back mufflers. I initially had just the flowmaster and it was still too quite for me. Also the flowmaster has several different varieties (and thus sounds).
You could also check out the magnaflow site. If I remember correctly they had many kinds of tips available. I really do like the stainless steel look (plus NO RUST).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts