GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will start a family in the next year or so, and we have 2 sports cars so 1 will be replaced with an SUV. I've been researching the VW Touareg and really like how solid it is and its safety. I saw the Torrent/Equinox but am not impressed w/the Chinese 3.4 old-tech v6. The sheetmetal seemed thin as well. Which brings me to the Acadia/Saturn Outlook. I saw the Acadia at the car show and liked it, although the materials inside aren't as luxurious as the Touareg. I even like the Acura MDX, but think it's overpriced. I'd like to give GM a second look. If I get 17 mpg for excellent safety then that's fine with me. I keep my cars at least 10 years/140,000+ miles, so am concerned with long-term reliability. Do you think the Acadia is built to last that long? Are your SUVs rattling? Is the sheetmetal rigid or thin like the Toyotas/Hondas?

·
Registered
542 Posts
You might want to look hard at that Touareg. Before purchasing the Acadia I sized it up. I ran across many really bad reviews by owners. Seemed like switches, dials and knobs were a problem. I think MPG was lower than expected too. I have also noticed MANY VWs with electrical problems. Amazing how many cars I pass with one headlight not working are newer veedubs. Just last night saw one with front lights working but completely dark from behind. No lights at all. I liked the look of it but if they cannot even get lighting to work I worry about the entire electrical system. I too felt the Acura was too expensive. I am having a hard time warming up to the look of it too. I have found that most Japanese cars have thin metal. Guess that helps with the MPG but they ding so easily. While I do not have my Acadia yet, I chose it for price, appearance, highest MPG rating, apparent quality of materials and it best fit our needs. Having had GM cars for the past 17 years (375,000+miles) I am not worried about quality at all. My previous Pontiacs were very dependable, few if any recalls and ran as strong when I traded them as when I bought them. Good luck with the hunt!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was on the VW web site last night looking at the Touareg and an equally equipt one was $51,000. Granted that was loaded but it didn't even offer a rear entertainment system. I have had my Acadia 4 months and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Get the Acadia. If you do and don't love it. I'll shave my head and eat my hair. Nuff said? 8)

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Toureg isnt even in the same price range as the Acadia. That thing is a mega rip, its smaller, more expensive and gets worse MPG. What is there to like?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
tymj...mega rip i guess means its a rip off

I have a VW Passat with the 3.6l V6 that is in the Toureg.

1 - It does nto get good gas mileage in my 4 MOTION I can't imagine what it would do in the SUV.
2 - I had more problems with the VW in the first 6 months that I am going to finish my lease and never go back to the brand.
3 - The Reg is tiny. NO room behind the 2nd row.

The 2 really aren;t a direct comparison size was. Price was the Reg is overpriced and well above a fully load SLT2. The Reg may look nicer with its nicer plastics and finish, but you will regret the purchase when you get to know your service advisor on a first name basis 1 month into ownership.

Visit www.vwvortex.com and go to the Toureg boards and check out the issues and praise.

Joe

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I think that if you do some more comparison shopping that you'll find that you get more in the Acadia for the money than the foreign makers give. I also believe that if you do go with the Acadia that you'll be very pleased!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
TMMAR said:
I think that if you do some more comparison shopping that you'll find that you get more in the Acadia for the money than the foreign makers give. I also believe that if you do go with the Acadia that you'll be very pleased!!
I fully agree. Before we purchased the Acadia I test drove and checked out alot of vehicles. From the 25k range to the 45k range. I drove the Ford Edge, Chevy Equinox, Chevy Tahoe, Honda Pilot, Subaru Tribeca, Mazda CX-9(or whatever its called), Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa fe, Hyundai Veracruz, VW Toureg, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Ford Escape Hybrid and theres a few more but I forget. Anyways, the Acadia with the 2nd row captains chairs was so much nicer than all the rest. It had so many more features than the foreign cars. I used to be a Nissan/Honda guy but there really isn't a Japanese car that catches my eye anymore, they all seem like old styling and old technology. There was a time they were new and fresh but I really think the pendelum has swung to the otherside. The Pilot is plain boring, it doesnt drive nice, its not comfortable, and it's ugly. Pretty much my favorites were the Ford Edge, Subaru, and the Acadia. The thing is the Acadia came with more than the other 2, it's bigger on the inside so for a family to grow into it's perfect, and it gets better gas mileage! That really was the kicker, it's bigger and gets better gas mileage than all the others?!? Plus I reallly love the 2nd row captains chairs. We drove it with 7 full grown adults and everybody was extremely comfortable, that cant be said about any of the rest. I have ridden in a Pilot with 3rd row, it's awful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless you get a fantastic deal on a Touareg, I'd say skip it. I know several people that had many problems with theirs, granted these were early models. They are nice cars, they have a very nice interior, but they are expensive for all the problems you might have with them.

The Acadia definitely leans toward the "UV" in CUV, although I thought the ride wasn't bad at all, it's just not as tight as the VW. The interior isn't as nice as the VW, but then again Audi/VW have always had top notch interior, so that's not bashing the Acadia. What's nice in the Acadia are the captain's chairs--you don't feel as confined.

If you're expecting a peppy, responsive engine, well you might be somewhat disappointed with the engine in the Acadia: it could use a little more power. I personally prefer responsive engines, but of course that might hurt mpg. I'm also worried about packing in the wife and 2 kids, with all the baby gear, luggage, etc, and having the transmission constantly hunting for the right gear. But even with all that, I'd probably stick with the Acadia. Of course, since your timeframe is 18 months away, you might get to testdrive the redesigned Pilot and Highlander...I can't wait that long and have to make my decision in a month or so!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone...looks like I have to really check out the Acadia from what everyone is saying. I have to admit, I really like the styling. I like the Saturn Outlook too but when I chatted with their rep online they said I couldn't use my GM card points. Not good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts