GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey:

I am new to this forum and have some questions regarding the Acadia. I currently have a 15 month old with twins on the way in December. We are being forced to sell our Honda CRV since the need for three car seats as well as strollers and bags exceeds the interior capacity of the Honda.

My main concern is reliability. I have been driving Japanese and European cars for sometime and have had relatively few to no problems or hassles whatsoever. Looking at the sub-forum for "Recalls, TSB's and Problems", I was shocked to see so many issues with the particular vehicle. Especially Acadia’s that have less then 5000 miles on the O/D. Are these issues a real problem or just magnified on this forum?

Another question I have is regarding the primary changes the '09 has over the '08. The discussions that I have read thus far seem to only mention the new DI engine and some small bells and whistles such as Bluetooth. Is it worth waiting for the 09 and paying the extra $$$$?

Last but not least is the Acadia's Winter Driving capabilities. I live in NY and need a car that can handle snow and ice. Anyone have good/bad experiences?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Twinsontheway..
First and foremost Congratulations on the up coming twin babies.. I'm also new to this forum and it sounds like you and I are in the same situation. I have a 11 yr old step daughter and just had twin girls this past July. I also have been driving Japanese and Euro cars ever since I started driving. I'm at the point where I need to get rid of my Titan, although its roomy enough to fit everyone, my wife just does not approve of the stroller sitting on they truck bed. The other car is a C class which will also not accommodate a party of 5 with 2 carriers.

It looks like I may have to piggy back on this posting and may add additional questions as this thread moves along.

:cheers:
Drew

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a 2007 and have had a couple of issues that were corrected. If you are a member of the True Delta (I think you can go to the welcome page and get the link) it showed that each year reliability has gotten better. I had a Volvo before this and have had waaaay less problems with the Acadia. I am also very happy with the tires. I have 30,000 miles on the Acadia and have not had to change them. My husband's G and the Volvo both had them changed out about every 24,000 miles or so and were ALOT more expensive.

We have taken a trip from Houston to Williamsburg, VA this summer and actually loved it. I would have never driven this far in any other car we have owned. The kids had a blast and it was comfortable and quiet.

Sorry I am going on... I just love this car!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have had our 08 for about 8 months, and have put about 15000 miles on it, including a just finished 3500+ mile trip. We have had zero problems with ours. The only problem I have noted (not reliability) is I think it could use more power, which I hear is going to be corrected in 09. There is plenty of room, I have achieved GREAT mpg with ours (averaged 25+ mpg on our trip), and as my wife tells me 4 tethers for car seats. There is plenty of room in the second and third rows. Overall i would say that its a very viable option when you are looking for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Twinsontheway said:
Hey:

I am new to this forum and have some questions regarding the Acadia. I currently have a 15 month old with twins on the way in December. We are being forced to sell our Honda CRV since the need for three car seats as well as strollers and bags exceeds the interior capacity of the Honda.

My main concern is reliability. I have been driving Japanese and European cars for sometime and have had relatively few to no problems or hassles whatsoever. Looking at the sub-forum for "Recalls, TSB's and Problems", I was shocked to see so many issues with the particular vehicle. Especially Acadia’s that have less then 5000 miles on the O/D. Are these issues a real problem or just magnified on this forum?

Another question I have is regarding the primary changes the '09 has over the '08. The discussions that I have read thus far seem to only mention the new DI engine and some small bells and whistles such as Bluetooth. Is it worth waiting for the 09 and paying the extra $$$$?

Last but not least is the Acadia's Winter Driving capabilities. I live in NY and need a car that can handle snow and ice. Anyone have good/bad experiences?

Although a lot of problems get discussed here, I personally have had no problems or real complaints about my Acadia. Great vehicle and I highly recommend.

In my experience, AWD is fine in ice and snow even without winter tires. Many posts here confirm that opinion. From postings here FWD is also good in winter conditions, although I would recommend AWD.

With employee pricing in affect until Sept. 2 on 08's, you could save $$ with an 08 over an 09. However, I do very much like the aspects of the the DI engine, but I think it's a personal choice whether to save money or get an 09.

Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
[/quote]
With employee pricing in affect until Sept. 2 on 08's, you could save $$ with an 08 over an 09. However, I do very much like the aspects of the the DI engine, but I think it's a personal choice whether to save money or get an 09.

Dave
[/quote]

uhhh?? DI engine?? What is it?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Twinsontheway said:
Hey:

I personally would not want to have an Acadia with 3 carseats.
I LOVE MY ACADIA, but I don't know that it would work with that many carseats and materials to be toted. You might be able to make it work, but I just think that it may be a little small when loaded up with all of your precious cargo. If you are really interested in the ACADIA, when you goto the dealership take 3 carseats and a bunch of STUFF (strollers, duffle bag, diaper bags) just a bunch of things you would use for a day out and about or a small roadtrip. Shove it all in the Acadia and see what you think. I would hate to see you buy something, and not like it shortly afterwards and take a hit on the trade-in.
Best of luck on your vehicle search, and congrats on your new twins!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
ttwins1107 said:
uhhh?? DI engine?? What is it?
DI = Direct Injection. Simply put a different fuel injection method that increases the efficiency of the combustion process. More power with better fuel mileage.

Horsepower in the Acadia goes from 275 to 288 with torque increasing as well from 251 lb-ft. to 270 lb-ft. all the while increasing fuel mileage by about 1 mpg.

Also, we love our Acadia and haven't had a single problem with it. Despite some of the problems discussed here I would not hesitate to buy one again if I had to replace ours for some reason.

·
Registered
195 Posts
TOTW - I too have driven nothing but foreign cars (Hondas) since my horrible experience with my F.O.R.D. in '87. If you knew me, you would be absolutely shocked that I ditched the new 2009 Pilot for a new Acadia.

I chose the 2009 for the new and bigger engine, cooled seats and blue tooth. I know I paid a premium over the 2008, but hey, it's only money, right? Plus we lucked out with the new Silver Green color, which we love.

My family and friends figure that if the GMC Acadia is good enough for "Joe Consumer Reports" it must be a great vehicle, so much so that a girl that works with my wife arranged for a dealer trade without even driving one (if that means anything)!!!!

Anyway, suffice it to say that we have only had our '09 since 8/2/08, but my wife and I just love the look and the feel of the vehicle. Unfortunately, I obviously can't comment on long term quality but initial quality is very good. I will say that GM has come a long way in my book.

I hope this helps.

P.S. - Cheesy I know, but I actually feel a lot of pride these days driving an American built vehicle. Gotta love that GMC[/color] logo on the front end. :thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Twinsontheway said:
Hey:

just curious, are you looking at teh 8 passenger or the 7 passenger option? personally I think the 7 passenger would work best since it allows us to move between 2nd & 3rd row to be able to tend to the twins more easily. Just want to know your views on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think 3 car seats would be fine in an Acadia. I would recommend the 7 seat arrangement though, so that you can get one of the kids in the far back seat easier. I test drove it for 24 hours with 2 kids in booster seats and it was very comfortable and I could have easily put another seat in. My kids are 4 and 6 and one went in the back seat and one went in the middle and they traded off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We have 3 kids in car seats in our 7-passenger Acadia. We love it and would buy it again tomorrow. We have not had any problems in 10,500 miles (knock on wood).

The kids were ages 2, 2 and 4 when we bought it last November (now 2, 3, 5). We tested the 8-passenger version, but determined the pass-through in the second row was critical. 3 kids in the middle row was a pinching, poking, hitting, kicking, hair-pulling, eye-gouging war zone :uzi:. The bench seat was too high for our oldest to climb over (she could get back to the 3rd row, but couldn't get out). The two youngest ones need help getting the seats buckled/unbuckled and we didn't want to climb into the back every time we got in/out of the car.

2008 vs. 2009 is personal choice. IMO, a 2008 with my option choices + employee pricing + rebate beats negotiating a decent price on a 2009. But then cooled seats, Bluetoothe, and an extra MPG from the DI engine are not on my "must have" list.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My 09 is on order and I can't wait to get it. My friend has an 08 SLT2 loaded and has had exactly 0 problems in 1 year miles. I wouldn't be scared off by threads on the forum, you have to realize that people use forums for diagnosing and discussing problems and the number of problems on here doesn't necessarily show that the vehicle has a problem. I have owned nothing but GM vehicles since I had a 72 Ford Courier and none of my vehicles have had problems, I'm not saying I would buy those vehicles again(i.e. 2003 Grand Am, no problems but cheap) but I have never put more than oil and wear items into my cars. BTW IMHO the Acadia is built just as well and actually quieter than my brothers MB M350 although his bluetooth is way better than GM's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off I have to say "WOW" to all the responses. It is great to know that we can communicate via such forums to help others out. Thanks for all the advice. I also want to thank you for the "Congrats" on my soon to be twins.

Now down to business:

We were originally thinking of getting the 8 the passenger assuming this translated into more room, but to "ttwins1107's" point, my assumptions might be wrong.

Our assumptions were that by purchasing the 8 seater we could seat the oldest child in the third row, while leaving the "40" split in the down/open position (making for an easier ingress/egress) with the twins seated on the "60" portion of the split. But I am not sure if this can be done due to the fact that I am unsure of the seatbelt configurations and limitations of the 2nd row (esp the 60 split). If anyone can clarify on this, that would be great!
I am going to test drive one as some-point this week and will surely be bringing a plethora of car-seats and strollers (as well as baby bags and the like) as to ensure that the size is adequate.

I am totally on the fence with the 08 versus 09 decision. On the one hand I like more power and less fuel consumption ('09), but on the other hand, like the current incentives ('08) and surely have plenty of other things to be spending (or saving) my money on. Do you really think the hp and torque gain will be that noticeable on the '09?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have an '08. It's the wife's actually. We have the 7 passenger with 3 kids, 4, 2 and 7 months. The 4-year-old sits in the middle of the 3rd row and the 2 others in the captains chairs. Having the pass through is really helpful in my mind. I have had a few issues with the dvd and the radio such as no sound, but in the year I've had it, it's only happened a couple of times. I haven't even bothered to take it in for that.

The '08 vs '09 is a tougher question in my mind. I would say get an '09 because of the latest powertrain package and the extras you can get, but it's also hard to pass up the pretty good price I bet you could get for an '08. Best thing to do would be take an '08 for an extended test drive. Something more than just around the block. If you could get it for a couple of days, that would be great. Then test drive an '09. If the difference in driveability doesn't jump out at you in the first hour of driving it, then maybe it's not worth the extra money.

My personal opinion is that FWD (mine is) is adequate too. I live in Michigan and even though AWD is really nice, I don't think it's worth the extra money and fuel economy hit you take just to have it those 2 or 3 times you really need it each winter. That's just my opinion and could vary depending on where you live and what you plan on using the vehicle for such as towing.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome aboard & thanks for following up on what you posted.

The fuel economy will never offset the savings you can get on a 2008- with employee pricing and $1,500 in cash, this is a lot of gas. Likewise, the 10 or so HP/Torque would not make much difference in a 4K pound vehicle in my experience.

The decision for 09 vs 08 really comes down to if there is something you have to have that is not offered on the 08. We want the cooled seats, so we are stuck with a 2009 SLT2. Also, many things such as navigation can be retro fitted to the vehicle if you are able to do so or just pay someone to do it.

One other issue on the seats is that in another thread it was discovered the 2009 does not have the rear console cup holders that the 2008 did. If you get the bench seat, you get two cup holders built into the armrest.

Hope this helps with your decision. As you are finding out, this is a great forum and lots of help is available. I knew nothing about these vehicles until late June when I was referred to an Outlook from a Dodge forum. 90% of my education has taken place right here on these pages.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Definitely believe 7 seats are better----for the seperate captain's chairs AND the pass through ability.

For storage space/bringing the stroller and even playpen, the 60-40 in the 3rd row would be a huge help, though you'd likely want your 3rd child on one side as opposed to the middle. But you could sit the child in the middle if not hauling as much stuff. The 60-40 is huge for flexibility.

08 v 09----agree with the posts here---anything you really really want ONLY on the 09s? If not, I'd definitely go 08 (like I did 7/1 or so).

The "more power" comment---getting the 08 and then the optional (in my mind mandatory!) transmission flash makes you feel all 275 HP, and it doesn't lack power anymore, IMHO.

Smooth ride which helps the kids. Safe vehicle with tons of airbags including on the sides. So safe in fact that insurance rates reflect the crash test results which is nice. And with kids, you'll love the XM radio and Disney/Kids stations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Twinsontheway said:
Our assumptions were that by purchasing the 8 seater we could seat the oldest child in the third row, while leaving the "40" split in the down/open position (making for an easier ingress/egress) with the twins seated on the "60" portion of the split. But I am not sure if this can be done due to the fact that I am unsure of the seatbelt configurations and limitations of the 2nd row (esp the 60 split).
Twinsontheway,

I don't specifically remember the LATCH configuration on the 8 passenger, but I want to say that they're only on the outboard seats in the middle row and only on the middle seat in the third row. Not knowing how long you keep your cars, that may be a problem in a couple of years when the twins are facing forward - the one in the third row will have to get past a car seat in the middle row and climb over the bench to get to the third row. And when they're asleep, you'll be the one climbing back there.

Also, once they're old enough, they will be invading each other's space if they are seated next to each other. Our 2 yr. old and 3 yr. old manage to torment each other even with the captain's chairs!!

L.S.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Twinsontheway said:
First off I have to say "WOW" to all the responses. It is great to know that we can communicate via such forums to help others out. Thanks for all the advice. I also want to thank you for the "Congrats" on my soon to be twins.

Now down to business:

We were originally thinking of getting the 8 the passenger assuming this translated into more room, but to "ttwins1107's" point, my assumptions might be wrong.

Our assumptions were that by purchasing the 8 seater we could seat the oldest child in the third row, while leaving the "40" split in the down/open position (making for an easier ingress/egress) with the twins seated on the "60" portion of the split. But I am not sure if this can be done due to the fact that I am unsure of the seatbelt configurations and limitations of the 2nd row (esp the 60 split). If anyone can clarify on this, that would be great!
I am going to test drive one as some-point this week and will surely be bringing a plethora of car-seats and strollers (as well as baby bags and the like) as to ensure that the size is adequate.

I am totally on the fence with the 08 versus 09 decision. On the one hand I like more power and less fuel consumption ('09), but on the other hand, like the current incentives ('08) and surely have plenty of other things to be spending (or saving) my money on. Do you really think the hp and torque gain will be that noticeable on the '09?
I have the 8 passenger version and love it. Here is my advice (mostly because it is what we did). Go to the dealer with car seats in hand and put them in the car. I found that the center of the bench had the two seat belt latches too close together for any car seat to fit there. Even a booster seat would not fit. My son is 8 yrs old, 50+ lbs and over 52" so he can sit in that middle seat with no problem so it was not an issue for us. If you are planning on putting people in the 3rd row on a day to day basis, unless you must have the 8 passenger, I would suggest that you get the captains chairs. You cannot leave the 40% part of the seat forward (I tried this) as it will move back and forth as you accelerate and brake. You can put the seat back down and have the kids climb over it. That works pretty well. Again. Go play with both at the dealer.

If I was buying today, I would order an '09 at invoice price (which is really not that much more than employee pricing.) Then in one year from now, when I look at the value of the '08 compared to the '09, I bet the '09 will be worth more than the delta when purchasing. So you may likely get all and more of your money back when you sell.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Twinsontheway,
just curious. did you end up deciding on the Acadia or Against the Acadia?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts