GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am looking into getting into an Acadia or Outlook for the wifey. We will probably trade in her 98 Camaro Z28 and a 96 Civic. We have two big dobermans that need the room and we will have one of these :binky: so we need the room.

My question is: what's the difference of smart buy and a lease? would you consider an smart buy as a good way to go? I plan on going to a GMC and Saturn dealers this weekend to test the waters. Has anyone done the SmartBuy?

Oh, another question... can it tow?? and how much. I wouldn't mind begin able to tow my toy to car shows. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have leased MANY times and were forced into a Smartbuy when we moved to New York which did not allow leasing at the time, it is allowed now. I have often said that the "smartbuy" was not very smart on our part. A smartbuy is similiar to a lease HOWEVER the interest rate was higher. Although the buyout was better with the smartbuy as it is encouraged to buy the vehicle more so than a lease.

Personally, I would lease before I did a smartbuy. However, check the numbers and rates. Sometimes the incentives on doing one is better than the other.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, i been :banghead: with the number a lot. I been looking to get a lowest payment possible for the time begin.

Pricing the Acadia that I would like to get into comes out to about 35k. I have a 98 Camaro z28 and a 96 Civic that I need to sell before I get into the Acadia, I could get around 9k for both and a I have about 1k more or 2k for supplier discount. Now, if i put the 10k-11k down in a smartbuy program the payments would go down into the $200s. Then my last monthly check comes to about 24k. So I am basically just paying interest for all that time. Right? I could refinance the 24k at the end of the program...

Another question is.. how much do you think these car will depreciate in 2,3,4 years??? Or will I get totally screwed????

Lets say...

Estimated Selling Price: $ 35,260.00
Down Payment: $ 11,000.00
36 moths
15k Miles/Year
7.9% APR
Monthly Payment $242.39
Last Monthly Payment $ $22,213.80

Returing the vehicle isn't an option because I put down 11k... The question is... will I be stuck with a 22k loan on a car that isn't worth it after 3 years?

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can refinance the last payment - it will be based on a used car loan figure - I would assume you should be able to get a loan in the mid 7%, but who knows what the future holds in regards to interest rates. I believe the vehicle will be worth close to $22,000 in three years with only 45K mikes on it - and is well taken care of - $22,000 would be close to a 63% residual value - it might be kind of agressive but with the popularity of the vehicle - there are many people out there that purchase only used cars with 45K mile on them, being this would be the first round of Acadia's really hitting the used car market (based on people averaging 12 - 15K mile a year) I think there will be many people looking to purchase them used in 3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
blu, Don't do the smartbuy. You'll probably be lucky to get 50% for the car in 3 years. Just look in the paper at $40K and $50K 2004 SUVs going for $20K to $25K now. Everybody that I know that has done a smartbuy has regretted it. The only people that are "smart" when they do a smartbuy are the dealers who lock you into a never ending cycle of trade-ins. My advice is to pony-up and pay $100 or $200 more per month and have a car that is fully paid for in 5-7 years. Or if you want to trade it in 3 years, at least you will not owe more than it is worth.

Nothing is free, you either pay now or pay later. In the case of a smartbuy, you pay later (and you pay A LOT more than necessary).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts