GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last washed acadia and followed up with a coat of Meguiar's wax late September 2008. That's 4 months
and counting and the longest separation between washes.

I am officially a car wash slacker. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I took our Acadia in for detailing when we got back from holidays at the end of Oct and that was the last time it saw water other than rain or snow on it.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm not sure I want to be the guy that has the longest time in between washes

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jsimms said:
:ditto: Usually at least once a week washes for me, unless it's too cold and the car wash is closed down.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
jsimms said:
:ditto: Usually at least once a week washes for me, unless it's too cold and the car wash is closed down.
From one extreme to the other; doesn't all those frequent washes put a beating on the wax?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I think I might have run my Acadia through a quick touchless wash last month just because it was so filthy nasty, but other than that, I don't wash it unless the weather is agreeable (and that would mean summer/fall).

You should see how filthy my poor Acadia looks right now. Though I did see a white one yesterday that was possibly dirtier than mine. Living in this area, in the winter, it's just impossible to keep a vehicle looking shiny on a daily basis without expending a lot of energy to do so. LOL I'm lazy. :p

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jsimms said:
GeoHawk said:
jsimms said:
From one extreme to the other; doesn't all those frequent washes put a beating on the wax?
;D Not really, it's all touchless and then I use microfiber towels to dry off. I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze, usually once in the spring, another right before summer, and then again in the fall. It is by far the longest lasting wax I've ever tried. I've "earned a reputation" around my town. I guess I'm a little anal about keeping a car looking clean and shiney. :p

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Nothing wrong with a well maintained and great looking Acadia

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just ran the wife"s Acadia through the car wash this evening since it's only supposed to be in the 10-20 degree range here the next several days. Maybe it will stay clean for a while! :thumb:

·
Registered
74 Posts
jsimms said:
[Probably waaay the wrong thread to ask this, but...]

So other than looking shiny, is there any actual benefit to obsessively washing & waxing a vehicle? I ask because I never wash my vehicles. That's what rain is for. My car has been thru 12 New England winters and is still (body) rust free, in spite of never being washed. I actually did wash & wax our Acadia once in the past 2 years, but only because my kids saw some neighbors washing their cars and wanted to play carwash too. Cars that are too clean & shiny tend to look like 'hangar queens' to me.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
oicu812 said:
jsimms said:

So other than looking shiny, is there any actual benefit to obsessively washing & waxing a vehicle?   I ask because I never wash my vehicles. That's what rain is for. My car has been thru 12 New England winters and is still (body) rust free, in spite of never being washed.  I actually did wash & wax our Acadia once in the past 2 years, but only because my kids saw some neighbors washing their cars and wanted to play carwash too. Cars that are too clean & shiny tend to look like 'hangar queens' to me.
I have no response to the no washing of the vehicle... to each their own as I get ready to wash mine today cause the temp will be above 45 and I can turn the hose on.
but in regards to "hangar queens".. I never heard that term so i googled it and this is what I found.... I don't understand how that term applies to a clean and shiny Acadia

In the Air Forces, "Hangar Queen" is not a proud title. It refers to any grounded plane which is being systematically "cannibalized" (stripped of its parts) so that other planes may fly.

Source of the above statement
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,850866,00.html

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bonk1313 said:
oicu812 said:
jsimms said:

So other than looking shiny, is there any actual benefit to obsessively washing & waxing a vehicle? I ask because I never wash my vehicles. That's what rain is for. My car has been thru 12 New England winters and is still (body) rust free, in spite of never being washed. I actually did wash & wax our Acadia once in the past 2 years, but only because my kids saw some neighbors washing their cars and wanted to play carwash too. Cars that are too clean & shiny tend to look like 'hangar queens' to me.
I have no response to the no washing of the vehicle... to each their own as I get ready to wash mine today cause the temp will be above 45 and I can turn the hose on.
but in regards to "hangar queens".. I never heard that term so i googled it and this is what I found.... I don't understand how that term applies to a clean and shiny Acadia

In the Air Forces, "Hangar Queen" is not a proud title. It refers to any grounded plane which is being systematically "cannibalized" (stripped of its parts) so that other planes may fly.

Source of the above statement
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,850866,00.html
100% correct; the Hangar Queens look like stripped aircraft once they get done taking parts off of it. In defense; I think the meaning meant that the vehicle is "garage kept"

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jsimms said:
In defense; I think the meaning meant that the vehicle is "garage kept"
If that was the intention, I don't see the downside to a vehicle looking "garage kept"

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Mine lives in the garage unless it's being driven. I try and keep mine as clean as possible; I don't people around town thinking" wow I've never seen one of those before, and that one looks like cr#$!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
bonk1313 said:

Sorry. Probably not the best terminology. I'd never looked up the definition, but the context I've heard it used was to describe vehicles that never left the garage. My brother works for a guy who owns like 6 or 7 old Mustangs and Corvettes, which he polishes and maintains but never drives, that he refers to as his "hangar queens."

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
oicu812 said:
bonk1313 said:

Sorry. Probably not the best terminology. I'd never looked up the definition, but the context I've heard it used was to describe vehicles that never left the garage. My brother works for a guy who owns like 6 or 7 old Mustangs and Corvettes, which he polishes and maintains but never drives, that he refers to as his "hangar queens."
Okay, just wanted to make sure I was not misunderstanding what you were trying to say... I think the term "garage queen"
Garage Queen
A rarely driven car that is in mint or near mint condition, is only driven in fair weather (no rain/snow), and is kept in the garage, usually washed and waxed, under a cover.
from http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=garage+queen

:thumb:

·
Registered
74 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Okay, just wanted to make sure I was not misunderstanding what you were trying to say... I think the term "garage queen"
Garage Queen
A rarely driven car that is in mint or near mint condition, is only driven in fair weather (no rain/snow), and is kept in the garage, usually washed and waxed, under a cover.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Actually, I think in his case they're more appropriately called "trailer queens"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trailer+queen

I suspect that guy (with the 7 cars) calls them 'hangar queens' because his garage is probably the size of an aircraft hangar. Put a projection TV on the wall and he'd have his own drive-in home theater.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
oicu812 said:
bonk1313 said:
Garage Queen
Yeah, that's what I meant. Actually, I think in his case they're more appropriately called "trailer queens"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trailer+queen

I suspect that guy (with the 7 cars) calls them 'hangar queens' because his garage is probably the size of an aircraft hangar. Put a projection TV on the wall and he'd have his own drive-in home theater.

HAHAHAHAH, I just actually noticed your screen name.. that is good I like it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took acadia to a self wash today since the temperature got up to a balmy 39 degrees. Red jewel is sparkling
once again :thumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts