GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family drove all over California last week for a vacation. We put about 1500 miles on the Acadia, which we bought back in March. Everything went extremely well. The average MPG was about 20-21. The seats were very comfortable, the climate control worked really well, the XM was sooooo great (we really enjoyed listening to the 80s station), we had plenty of room for all our stuff in the third row and in the storage space behind --we're talking the full-size stroller, the portable crib, six duffle bags, a big cooler, all our electronics, and the rest of the "necessary" junk you need for a ten day road trip.

Drove about 300 miles the first day -- smooth sailing on the freeways. No big surprise there.

Then we really got going.

Drove up north and all over the Bay Area -- the car did great on the steep hills of San Franscisco.

Drove back down the coast on some seriously steep and winding roads -- this is where I was most surprised. The Acadia handled it so well -- tight turns, great stability. It felt very secure, which is good, because I hate those twisty roads.

The baby enjoyed her space. We discovered that our portable DVD player, which folds out completely flat, can be tucked right into the pocket behind the passenger front seat. So she had her own entertainment center.

We had some parking issues in Carmel and Solvang. The spaces were small and we're still not used to parallel parking this behemoth. But it all worked out.

All in all, it was a great road trip and I'm sure we'll be going on many more now that we have a comfy car to travel in. Yay Acadia!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Good to hear! We're heading out on our first extended road trip this coming Thursday to southwestern Michigan (From Chicago). About a 2.5-3 hour drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
imgntht said:
Good to hear! We're heading out on our first extended road trip this coming Thursday to southwestern Michigan (From Chicago). About a 2.5-3 hour drive.
Which part of Michigan are you visiting?


Sounds like an awesome road trip in California, glad it went well and you enjoyed the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
We picked ours up on 5/9 and are heading out for our first road trip of the summer to Calif to cool off in a few weeks. Glad to hear the Acadia handled your trip so well! We are busy planning for our trip, and it looks like we may have some extra room so my wife wants to bring our stroller and the wagon! That never happened in the MDX!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Chicago - I love Chicago, my sister lives there and I was born there.

I do the sight seeing thing when I go there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
wings13 said:
imgntht said:
Good to hear! We're heading out on our first extended road trip this coming Thursday to southwestern Michigan (From Chicago). About a 2.5-3 hour drive.
Which part of Michigan are you visiting?
We're going to hit St Joseph, Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Holland, and South Haven. I'm a lighthouse admirer and this was enough distance from home, without being too long of a drive for our 20 month old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
We drive our Acadia 2 hours to our cabin every (just about) weekend. About 250 miles per weekend or more. We were instantly amazed how this car hugs the road. On the mountain crossings, switch to L +/- mode and it handles much like tiptronic in our Audi Allroad...but sticks to the pavement better. We find that we navigate the windy, mountain crossing and winding up and down National Forest roads with greater speed and agility than the Allroad. This car is awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
imgntht said:
wings13 said:
imgntht said:
Good to hear! We're heading out on our first extended road trip this coming Thursday to southwestern Michigan (From Chicago). About a 2.5-3 hour drive.
Which part of Michigan are you visiting?
We're going to hit St Joseph, Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Holland, and South Haven. I'm a lighthouse admirer and this was enough distance from home, without being too long of a drive for our 20 month old.
We live in Grand Haven! Great weekend to come, it's Kite Festival at the Grand Haven State Park. Your 20 month old should love that! Supposed to be great weather this weekend for it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Your 20 month old will love Holland. It is such a pretty town and he can walk the little houses!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
wings13 said:
imgntht said:
wings13 said:
imgntht said:
Good to hear! We're heading out on our first extended road trip this coming Thursday to southwestern Michigan (From Chicago). About a 2.5-3 hour drive.
Which part of Michigan are you visiting?
We're going to hit St Joseph, Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Holland, and South Haven. I'm a lighthouse admirer and this was enough distance from home, without being too long of a drive for our 20 month old.
We live in Grand Haven! Great weekend to come, it's Kite Festival at the Grand Haven State Park. Your 20 month old should love that! Supposed to be great weather this weekend for it too.
wings13, Datsyuk or Kozlov fan? Grand Haven and the surrounding area is beautiful. We will be along the lake shore in July (flying, not driving the yet to be received Acadia). Probably visit Grand Haven to see if the pronto pup stand is still there. Good times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
I started as a Kozlov fan and it's worked well with Pavel too!

Of course the Pronto Pup stand is still here, it opened the first weekend in May and we've been a few times already! My husband and boys insist!

I take the month of July off every year to enjoy the beach....watch for that Acadia with the telltale license plate! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
We took our annual trip down to GA and AL 10 days ago and put on 2,061 miles. We visited family. I had to relearn how to dive in the swimming pool and use the diving board. We gambled in Metropolis, IL on trip down for an hour and then spent a day in Chattanooga, before heading onto GA. The Acadia drove and road like it always does. I checked the gas mileage on I-39 which is pretty flat and boring with cross wind and came up with 22.8mpg using pen and paper. Never checked the mpg after that. How was everyone's else's trip this summer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Took a trip to DC last week for a few days Acadia with 4 passengers and luggage,coolers etc got 22-22.5 MPG . Not bad for a AWD and AC going
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
We drive our Acadia 2 hours to our cabin every (just about) weekend. About 250 miles per weekend or more. We were instantly amazed how this car hugs the road. On the mountain crossings, switch to L +/- mode and it handles much like tiptronic in our Audi Allroad...but sticks to the pavement better. We find that we navigate the windy, mountain crossing and winding up and down National Forest roads with greater speed and agility than the Allroad. This car is awesome!
Same with us during summer months - north to south jersey every weekend - 300 miles+. Racking up miles with no issues and decent highway mileage.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top