GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and new GMC Acadia owner. I didn't register for OnStar service and declined the free trial when purchasing but was told by the salesman after pressing that OnStar can still send and receive diagnostic, location, and vehicle use information. Does anyone know where the OnStar module/VCIM is located in the 2020 Acadia?

Plan to disconnect the module (similar to How to Deactivate OnStar) once located. Rexy624's question has great information on the location for the previous generation (a 2016 Acadia) and speleos' reply to Idieh74!'s question confirms the LR location in a '14 model, but I can't find the location for a '17 or newer. Anybody done this or found another way to disable OnStar's send/receive ability in the 2020? Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
No idea where... and I also passed, but I like the fact that it has the reports. And I'd worry a bit if something happened, that GMC may find you at fault because warnings weren't sent.
Wait until you are past warranty maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea where... and I also passed, but I like the fact that it has the reports. And I'd worry a bit if something happened, that GMC may find you at fault because warnings weren't sent.
Wait until you are past warranty maybe?
A friend who did it on a different GM model (Chevy Tahoe) said his warranty wasn't affected. After reading stories like this, this, and this, I'm fine with not getting the reports to turn it off. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I guess as long as you contact your dealer immediately on any sign of a dash warning, maybe you'd be fine. No idea... have fun with it if you do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Certain diagnostics do not illuminate any warning light. They are only communicated to you via OnStar email.

Our battery was about to die on 2018. No dash warnings. Got an email. Two mornings later, could not start car. That was the kind of heads up advice that kept us from being in a very aggravating situation. Stranded.

Do as you see fit, but there’s more good than bad in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum and new GMC Acadia owner. I didn't register for OnStar service and declined the free trial when purchasing but was told by the salesman after pressing that OnStar can still send and receive diagnostic, location, and vehicle use information. Does anyone know where the OnStar module/VCIM is located in the 2020 Acadia?

Plan to disconnect the module (similar to How to Deactivate OnStar) once located. Rexy624's question has great information on the location for the previous generation (a 2016 Acadia) and speleos' reply to Idieh74!'s question confirms the LR location in a '14 model, but I can't find the location for a '17 or newer. Anybody done this or found another way to disable OnStar's send/receive ability in the 2020? Thanks!

If unplugging it causes any issues, try to find the antenna wire and unplug / unscrew it from the module. There is probably a modular plug with several wires for power etc, and a separate single larger round wire wire. that round wire is the antenna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts