GMC Acadia Forum banner

Are you experiencing this issue? (sticking storage door)

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have trouble with that little glove box compartment in the center of the dash not wanting to open when you push the button, seems there should be a better latching mechanism for that thing, since you want it to open "up" and you have to push down to make that happen, just curious what others are experiencing here, although this by no means takes away from how great this vehicle is of course.

TIA
:-\

·
Registered
27 Posts
Haven't experienced any issues opening up that compartment yet. I'll keep an eye open for any issues though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've never had a problem with it. use it for my sunglasses without issue

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've been having problems with it since day one. My sales guy told me it's sticking because it's still "new" and that it would break in. I have over 5,000 miles on the Acadia and have owned it since March 3rd. How long will that little compartment still be "new"??? LOL I just keep my IPASS in there and don't use it for anything else anymore.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No problem with our top mini-bin. Except if sunglasses in a case gets in the way of closing. Otherwise, open-close works fine.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
What I have found is that I press down on the button hard and wait for it to open up while I am pressing the button.

Things is, I think the button needs for it to be relased to complete it process and open up.

So, now I just depress lightly and let go, with like a 1 sec delay the cover opens up.

This may not make sense but it is the best way I can explain it. Less pressure and let go. It's not an immediate press and open top of latch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have any trouble with it, but my wife seems too. I just attributed her troubles with operator error. I will have to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Mine actually gets stuck. I've tried your "less pressure and let go" operation as well. This puppy is definitely sticking. I'm not the only one who has had difficulties opening it, so I know it's not just me. :) Next time I have it in, I'll have them take a look at it. It's not on my priority list right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should of added also I have driven about 4 of these before purchasing our SLT2 and of four, only 1 opened right up with no issues, seems kinda strange to me, and obviously it wasnt the one we bought, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Hmmm, this is news to me. Mine operates perfectly. Let's move this to the Problems and Fixes board and add a poll.. standby...

Ok, poll added, please visit the top of this thread and vote. This helps us gauge how wide-spread these issues are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have this same problem with my Outlook. I even had the delaer replace the mechanism, i brought it home and it still didn't work. Very frustrating!

I finally have given up on it working the right way (press the button and it opens). What I do to open it is press the button down, while depressing move my finger towards the windshield, then almost flick up the lid with my finger. Doing it that way it works everytime.

I have no idea how i figured this out. :banghead:

·
Registered
405 Posts
i have it but what i found is that i hold the button and then work my finger on the edge and lift it up. Won't open any other way.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It may just be that the latch is blocked by whatever you have in it. I noticed that mine would not close today. Upon inspection I found the cause to be a piece of paper. You may want to empty it and see if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine works just fine. I've never had a problem. I do just what admin does - a slight press, let go, and it opens in 1 second. I would be mad if it didn't work correctly because it is the perfect spot for my sunglasses.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks admin for the move, and poll

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dan-M said:
It may just be that the latch is blocked by whatever you have in it. I noticed that mine would not close today. Upon inspection I found the cause to be a piece of paper. You may want to empty it and see if you still have the problem.
mines empty, and has been since the first say i bought the acadia it has never worked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The first Acadia that my wife and I test drove had the problem with the botton not working. She was driving, so of course I was playing with all the "gadgets". When I pressed the button up on the dash and nothing happened, I thought for sure I turned on the hazards or some lights or something.

Not 'till we purchased our Light Brown Metallic did I even realize that it was even a little glove-box. Never had a problem with ours. Just turned 1,000 miles this weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same issue. My Acadia has 1447 miles.

When the vehicle is in the sun, the compartment is flush with dash. Push the button, it opens with no problem. When the vehicle is not in the sun (garage, under a tree, etc.), it will stick. I can get it open by pushing my finger nail into while pressing the button.

It appears that the plastic warps to a correct position in the sun, and warps a little on the corners when cool.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I too have this issue, but frankly, I have totally ignored it. When driving, I tend it sit as far back as possible for maximum leg room. As a result, it is not the most convenient area for me to reach/use for storage. Besides that, it was definitely not one of the "selling points" that convinced me to buy the Acadia.

At any rate, just to back up everyone else here who is having problems, my two cents are that the latch DOES have an issue.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts