GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local paper included a Washington Post article by Warren Brown on the new Lincoln MKX saying:
(whole report can be found at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/14/AR2006121400873.html )

". . . But that is where the good MKX report ends, because as good as the MKX is, it is not yet good enough to hold its own in the marketplace against other tall wagons such as those in General Motors' group: the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. Nor does it have the panache to take on the likes of the Acura MDX or Lexus RX 350.

Look at GM's tall wagons. All have three rows of seats and ample space for eight passengers. The MKX comes with two rows and space for five. The GM group offers a maximum 117 cubic feet of cargo space with the second- and third-row seats down. The MKX, available with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, gives you a maximum cargo capacity of 69 cubic feet with the second-row seats lowered.

As noted earlier, the all-wheel-drive MKX drives and handles well despite its considerable weight of 4,420 pounds. But although the all-wheel-drive Acadia weighs 516 pounds more than the MKX and has a body that is 14.2 inches longer, the Acadia rides and handles better than its domestic rival. [/color] The MKX feels more like a truck. The Acadia feels more like a tightly crafted sedan.[/color]"

·
Registered
182 Posts
The MKZ is a nice-looking vehicle...........

At least Ford's not running it in the ground with so many commercials as they are with the "EDD-JUH" I bet I've seen 100 Edge commercials to every one Acadia commercial. AAAARRRGGGH, I HATE THAT SONG.......

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
The accolades just keep pouring in over this beast! It's on fire. What would you guys deem the most closely related competition to the Acadia? I would guess the CX9, but what else?

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Not a bad article. :)

Would you believe I have never seen a commercial for a Ford Edge? I don't even know what one looks like. I'm going to have to go Google it now out of curiosity.

Maybe I need to watch more TV.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
The MKX and Edge are sister cars like the Acadia and Outlook. They are very similar in appearance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Web Raven said:
Not a bad article. :)

Would you believe I have never seen a commercial for a Ford Edge? I don't even know what one looks like. I'm going to have to go Google it now out of curiosity.

Maybe I need to watch more TV.
You need to turn on the TV to be considered as "watching it" :p

That annoying commercial is on every 20 mins or so (here in NY at least).

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
My problem is that I DVR any shows that I watch on TV. So when I do sit down to watch them, I fast-forward through all the commercials.

I went to Ford's website and have now seen the Edge. Eh. It is what it is. I'm not a Ford fan, so for that reason alone, I wouldn't ever consider purchasing one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Web Raven said:
My problem is that I DVR any shows that I watch on TV.
I don't see that as a problem. Though I do feel out of touch when people say "hey, you see that new funny commercial....?" I get over that quickly and rejoice each time I hit that 30 second skip button on my universal remote. 8)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
admin said:
The accolades just keep pouring in over this beast! It's on fire. What would you guys deem the most closely related competition to the Acadia? I would guess the CX9, but what else?
I agree the Mazda CX-9 is the closest competition. I also think the Honda Pilot and Ford Freestyle/Taurus X, depending on what exactly people are looking for. The upcoming 2008 Toyota Highlander will be a little bigger, but still not as big as the Acadia or CX-9. Same thing for the Hyundai Veracruz.

A lot of people are also cross-shopping minivans against the Acadia.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
With a total of 4 tivos in our house, I can count on one hand the number of commercials I've watched in the past week. The guy that invented Tivo needs a Nobel Prize! ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pacifica?

I'll agree that Mazda has the only true competition out there. I guess we'll see about the Veracruz, but personally I'll never own a Hyundai, or Kia for that matter...

·
Registered
117 Posts
clsuper said:
The MKZ is a nice-looking vehicle...........

At least Ford's not running it in the ground with so many commercials as they are with the "EDD-JUH" I bet I've seen 100 Edge commercials to every one Acadia commercial. AAAARRRGGGH, I HATE THAT SONG.......
Yep, awful commercial, really annoying to me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
loach said:
admin said:
I agree the Mazda CX-9 is the closest competition. I also think the Honda Pilot and Ford Freestyle/Taurus X, depending on what exactly people are looking for. The upcoming 2008 Toyota Highlander will be a little bigger, but still not as big as the Acadia or CX-9. Same thing for the Hyundai Veracruz.
I agree- the 2008 Highlander is very close spec-wise to the Acadia, except the the middle row "bench" they offer is really just a gimmick. We considered waiting for this to come out before purchasing, then saw the pictures from the Chicago auto show. (I personally think it just looks odd). The Mazda is nice I hear...probably even more car-like from what I understand.

I think the Pilot is going to be shown this month at some auto show....I'm going to wager that it will be the real competion. Style-wise Honda does not blow me away (generally GM doesn't either), but they truly are doing innovative things with their powertrains. I guess we'll see...

...but I loooove my Acadia.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
jrocco001 said:
loach said:
admin said:
I think the Pilot is going to be shown this month at some auto show....I'm going to wager that it will be the real competion. Style-wise Honda does not blow me away (generally GM doesn't either), but they truly are doing innovative things with their powertrains. I guess we'll see...
I've read on several sites that the Pilot won't be released in the fall of '08 as an '09 model.

Kelly

·
Registered
37 Posts
admin said:
After crawling all over and inside everything at the Cleveland auto show last week, the only other vehicle that tripped my switch, besides the Acadia, was the Lexus LX 470. Only problem is you could buy 2 Acadias for the price of 1 LX 470, and the Acadia is manufactured in the good old USA.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
coopermine said:
If Honda is going to share MDX platform then the Pilot will stink.
Agreed! It will go from Ugly to Fugly~!

·
Registered
619 Posts
We've driven both the CX-9 and the Acadia. And guess what...we bought an Acadia. The Mazda was very nice, but the cabin, to me, from the driver's perspective, didn't work. It was confusing. The only thing that the CX-9 offered that the Acadia doesn't is Bluetooth and a nifty key system. However, there are several features on the CX-9 that won't be available until later this year...power rear gate to name one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have a blue Mazda CX-9 on reserve and we won't be getting it in until late April, early May because we are waiting for the power liftgate! The Bluetooth is relly nifty and the key system that they have

1 - 20 of 33 Posts