GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through earlier posts dating back to early 2007 on the availability of 18" wheels. From what I can see there are only two OEM 18" inch wheels offered for the Acadia at the factory, several 19" inch wheels and the rest go up to 20" inches available from GM Accessories. The GM Accessories site offers what I thought were real nice chrome wheels in both 19" and 20" inch sizes, although there were none for the 18" inch size. ???

In search of a larger selection of 18" wheels that fit the Acadia (especially the OEM tires in the 18" size), I checked several aftermarket outlets that offer either both tires and wheels, or wheels only. I was surprised that there are very few options in the 18" inch wheel sizes. :eek:

My concern is: Why doesn't (it's really not a rhethorical question) GM offer a greater selection in the 18" wheels?
I am also wondering why there are so few offerings in the 18" inch wheel sizes that fit the Acadia in aftermarket outlets. I do not want to sacrifice the "better and smoother" ride of the 18" inch tire/wheel combination by switching out to a larger 19" inch or 20" inch wheel just because of the variety or availability of wheels (and tires) in those sizes. :help: :sosad:

Any suggestions where I can get 18" inch wheels and tires (other than the OEM types) that will fit the wheel housing on the Acadia without any problems? :help:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Keeps GM's inventory costs down by not having a huge selection of options to choose from. That is why there are after market companies in this world.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Most wheel fanatics simply don't want to go to another style in the same size - they want to go up to a 20" or 22". Supply and demand. The demand just isn't there for 18" alternative wheels.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
loach said:
Most wheel fanatics simply don't want to go to another style in the same size - they want to go up to a 20" or 22". Supply and demand. The demand just isn't there for 18" alternative wheels.
You might be right, but when I see these SUV's with huge rims with little air space from tire to the rim, looks like driving a covered wagon, especially with high chrome polished rims. They have to be especially careful with a 4000lb+ vehicle to not hit a pot-hole or uneven pavement too. Can can imagine what the ride would be like too. You know what I mean?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Teetertotter,
That was part of my point. After reading several opinions about the difference between the ride/comfort level of the 18" inch wheel/tires when compared to the larger type, I got concerned about "upgrading" to the latter size.
Personally, I don't care for the "tricked out" or "gangster" look (I'm not trying to offend anyone). That is to say that sometimes it looks OK on the Acadia, but that type of profile is not my favorite. The chrome is nice for some tastes (in my opinion, if it is a smaller wheel), but the larger ones seem like they fill the wheelwell and give the crossover a "different" appearance.
I'm sure chrome wheels are easier to clean and maintain (I'm just guessing really), but the more understated aluminum or alloy wheels that shine less are my preference. :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
detnik
Yup, I like the more conservative side with nice ride! I just get a kick out of those that I see with Wagon Wheels. Invest all that money with no return and probably be a hindrance at trade in time. As you say, to each his own.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teetertotter said:
detnik
Yup, I like the more conservative side with nice ride! I just get a kick out of those that I see with Wagon Wheels. Invest all that money with no return and probably be a hindrance at trade in time. As you say, to each his own.
Yep, CONSERVATIVE is the operative word here (in taste my friends, not in politics ;) )

LOL

·
Registered
683 Posts
detnick: Take a browse at this--http://www.wheelsnext.com. I found my wheels (20's) on this site and I just took a peak and found 71 options in 18" for the Acadia. From the home page, click the "shop wheels" link under Shopping. First step, enter your vehicle information(they don't have 2009 loaded yet, but it's the same bolt pattern as the '07/'08 model). Then on the left hand side of the screen there are numerous filters. I filtered by size to an 18" only and then viewed the results.

A word of caution to you...there are some wheels shown that may need to be custom drilled to the 6x132 bolt pattern. I would also suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the wheel you like prior to placing an order to confirm it is available in our bolt pattern or can accommodate it as a custom drill as well as to check if it is in stock. I found that not all wheels listed truly did fit or wouldn't be available for months. Last thing, once you find the wheel you like(assuming you find one that you DO like), search the web or contact your local Discount Tire for a better price. I picked up a set of 20" Bazo Forged wheels for $100 less per wheel.

Good Luck and hope you find something you like! :thumb:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Imgntht,
You're a gentleman and a scholar. ;D I appreciate you're taking the time to locate the information and posting it so I could check it out. You are certainly a lifesaver because I was having some serious second thoughts about my choice of wheel size. This way I still have some options should I decide to change the looks of my wheels. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem with the 18 inch wheels is the 255/65R18 tire size that goes with it; very limited selection of tires, and typically difficult to obtain. Pretty sure no other vehicles take this size tire. It seems there is more tire choice with the 19 inch and 20 inch wheels. I certainly hope so, as I just traded in my 2007 Acadia with 18 inch wheels for a 2012 Acadia Denali with 20 inch. Looking for some good snow choices for it now...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Re: Limited 18" Inch Wheel Selection

Try 265/65 R18 tires on instead. They fit my Acadia with NO issues and there is a much larger selection of tires too. You can probably even choose a good all terrain tire that is moderately aggressive if you wish.

265/65 18 is also the same size as the factory tires on my 2012 1/2ton Silverado.

I forgot to mention that it hardly affected the speedometer at all.....as a matter of fact it made the speedometer more accurate to the GPS because they are matching perfectly instead of the GPS reading slower than the speedometer reading.

Oh yeah......it may be good to avoid any 10ply tires too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts