GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Boy this is a great forum! I am sooo glad I found you guys. :) We're looking at an Acadia SLT2 with the leather seats for DH. On an occasional basis we will be putting one car seat and a booster in it.

Here's the glitch: we took it for a test drive with the kids in the car to make sure the car seats would work. When we pulled the car seats out of the Acadia the leather seat looked dented from the regular car seat. This is a forward facing, five point seat for toddlers.

I have no clue if the seat STILL looks dented---but it definitely had lines/creases in it after the test drive. I tried rubbing the seat and it didn't pop out. I am reluctant to get a car where the seats will look trashed if my kids ride in it twice a month. Maybe if the seats were staying in it 99% of the time it would be different.

What do other folks with car seats do? Is there a pad or mat we can put on the seat?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As far as I know that happens with all car seats in all cars. Happens on my truck and my wifes car. It does help to have some sort of High Density foam under the seat. Safety 1st makes a pad to put under the seats. My parents also use a heavy blanket under the car seats since they don't have them in that often.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the indentations is normal on leather seats. In my previous cars with leather the car seats did leave dents on the seating surface. To help prevent this I started using a towel under the baby seat and this helped a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
We use the pads in our Odyssey for 2 car seats and a booster. Makes a world of difference but you will have some indentation (in leather it is unavoidable).

·
Registered
542 Posts
You must use a pad. You are going to get rips/holes eventually if you dont. I was a bit concerned too as the leather is much more pliable than my last car. The driver seat is kind of wrinkled but no signs of wear, tears or worn areas

·
Registered
111 Posts
We have the ebony leather and just put black towels under our 3 seats.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used a big soft towel and a one inch thick piece of pad i found at a local salvage place. It will leave dents and maybe some damage if you don't do anything. For the back of the child seat you can get some round pool floaters and cut to length so the back won't leave dents as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cut carpet from a remnant I had and placed the plush side down. I use carpet on the seat bottom and back. No dents or marks at all. Guaranteed!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use a JL Childress car seat cover/carrier that unzips into two pieces (http://perfectlysafe.stores.yahoo.net/11601-carseat.html)[/color]. I had to take it out a couple days ago to condition the leather and the only thing you could see amiss in the leather was the headrest where there was an indentation from the top of the car seat, "protected" as it is by the cover (I really want to take the headrest off but hubby won't let me!!). The headrest looked normal again after a day or so with no carseat. But, as with everyone else here, I strongly recommend that something be used to sit between the carseat and the seat itself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have four and half yr old twin boys who are 40 lbs a piece in our Acadia. The car seats have been in the two middle seats since February and we just have a thick bath towel folded under each and have no signs of wear or damage. When we move the seats out you don't notice at all. I was worried because we track a LOT of sand into our car and that the sand would get between the seat and car seat and damage them but it has not been the case.

Those car seat pads are nice looking, great idea. If we weren't so close to being done with car seats I would invest in them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the good info! As a new Acadia owner and parent, I was just in the store the other day trying to find something to protect the leather interior from our 2 yr old!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My child is in a booster seat so I really only had to worry about the seat and not the back. I went to Kmart and picked up an ebony colored bath towel. The color was almost an exact match and got it on sale for $5.00.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a word of caution here about using bulky items under your child's car set to protect the car's upholstry....while I understand your need to keep your vehicle from being potentiall damaged by the car seat, using these items can cause your child's safety restraint not to function properly in the event of a crash. Because these items (especially after market items such as the seat protector pads you can buy at most any retailer) have not been crash tested with each safety seat, there is no way of knowing how that seat will perform during a crash situation with after-market items used. All manufacturers and CPST's (Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians, of which I am one) warn against the use of these items. Thick towels, carpets, etc are also no-no's because they have not been crash tested with the seats and the compression issues that occur during a crash make using these item dangerous. They can actually cause your child's car seat to be improperly installed (by allowing too much movement & space between the base of the car seat and the vehicle seat) which leads to the restraint not properly protecting your child.

The only "approved" item for use on leather seats is the rubber-like shelf liner. A section of this can be cut and placed under the base of the car seat. This material actually does two things: it helps protects your leather upholstry and helps keep the base of some seats from sliding around on the leather. FWIW, I have 2 kids in car seats and we've had vehicles with leater upholstry for several years and other than the "dents" you see when the car seats are removed, we've had no actual damage to the leather. Once the car seats are out for few days, the "dents" go away.

I encourage anyone who has these after-market items under their child's car seat to remove them and find a CPST in your area. They will be able to help you properly install the car seat without these items and may be able to offer safe alternatives so your can protect your leather seats.

Cari

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cari that is great information. I have to admit that when I first purchased our Acadia I was using a towel under the car seat to protect the leather. My main reason for changing was that I wanted the entire seat covered and I did feel uncomfortable using such a thick material between the seat and car seat. I picked up a seat cover on Amazon really cheap and am using that, it even matches the ebony leather. It isn't very thick so I may have dents but the seat will be "protected" from all of the mess that comes with kids.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got my 2013 Acadia detailed for the first time after two months. Took at the car seat and noticed a big old dent in the head rest. There are ways to "shrink" the leather with a heat gun/hair dryer. Not sure I want to try it at this point since I'll have the car seat in there for awhile. Just bummed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts