GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was getting into the Acadia this morning my knee bumped the light switch and wiper fluid warm up button. Smashed it it right through the dashboard. I guess this means another trip to the service department. ARGH!!! You guy's with long legs need to know this can happen to you. From now on I will need to sit down then swing the legs in. The right leg in first method leaves about a half inch of space as you lower yourself into the car. I barely bumped it and crack it went. I hope this is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your not allowed to ride in my car!

Really, thanks for posting this. I didn;t think to be careful with that switch and now I will.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This also happened to me within the first hour of picking it up. When I got home I noticed that the dial on the switch was hard to turn and didn't seem quite right. When I pushed it to test the foglights it went tumbling into the dash. The good news is it's a very simple fix. Just pop the clips that hold on the black plastic panel below the steering wheel, reach your hand up and push it back in. It took all of 5 minutes to fix it. Mine clearly was not properly "locked in" to the dash at delivery, which is why the dial was difficult to turn.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jseck2 said:
This also happened to me within the first hour of picking it up. When I got home I noticed that the dial on the switch was hard to turn and didn't seem quite right. When I pushed it to test the foglights it went tumbling into the dash. The good news is it's a very simple fix. Just pop the clips that hold on the black plastic panel below the steering wheel, reach your hand up and push it back in. It took all of 5 minutes to fix it. Mine clearly was not properly "locked in" to the dash at delivery, which is why the dial was difficult to turn.

Thanks! I'll try that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright! I actually fixed it. At first I was saying out loud. " this guy must be missing parts under his because there is no way in hell you can get there. You really need monkey sized hands and arms but I did find a way to get up in there. I actually don't think you even need to do it that way. If you have strong enough thumb nails you can just pry it into place, and then just pull it by the knob. It snaps back into place. I definitely think it needs a look see by the engineers at GMC so it is not so easy to knock it in.

A bit of advice to anyone who does the fix for this problem. There is a light bulb that is NOT a retaining clip. ;) If you pull on it, it comes out. I'm not sure but I may have screwed it up. I need to find out how to illuminate it to check if I need a new bulb. Any info on this light would help.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Mine fell pretty far into the dash and I don't think I could have fixed it from the front, through the hole. There was a bit of contortion involved reaching it from the bottom but it really wasn't too bad.

A few weeks after I got my car, I got a call from GMC Engineering asking about what kinds of problems I found so far. I gave them a short list, told them about this one but they didn't seem too concerned.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Usually you can take a volt meter - set it to any resistance setting (this sends a small current through the probe)- touch one probe to the bottom of the bulb and the other to the side. If the needle swings over, then current is flowing. If the needle doesn't move, then the filament is shot. Try it first with a bulb you know works - like one from a flashlight.

Dan-M said:
A bit of advice to anyone who does the fix for this problem. There is a light bulb that is NOT a retaining clip. ;) If you pull on it, it comes out. I'm not sure but I may have screwed it up. I need to find out how to illuminate it to check if I need a new bulb. Any info on this light would help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
How the heck are you people getting into your car again? ??? I am a big guy, I cannot imagine gow my knee would get there, unless the seat was way up or something. Are you hopping onto the steering wheel and then plopping into the seat?

I mean, this is a big car, but the front drivers area is not made for dancing. .
:blob:
Wait a minute... were you trying some funny business with your spouse and you are just saying it happened by climbing in?

:D

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
mitchl said:
Wait a minute... were you trying some funny business with your spouse and you are just saying it happened by climbing in?

Hey now. Too much info.

:p

Well, Mother's day is coming up and all(assuming she is a mom). :drunk:

·
Registered
405 Posts
mitchl said:
How the heck are you people getting into your car again? ??? I am a big guy, I cannot imagine gow my knee would get there, unless the seat was way up or something. Are you hopping onto the steering wheel and then plopping into the seat?

I mean, this is a big car, but the front drivers area is not made for dancing. .
:blob:

well the acadia is atleast big enough. all it needs is a disco ball and a water bed and then you can do that. :cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
*Cough, cough* 14 year old here *Cough*
Don't worry though! I'm "mature". ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts