GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Truxxx is looking into developing lift kits for the Acadia lambda platform and I would like to know how much interest there is out there for a couple more inches of ground clearance. I am the chief engineer at Truxxx, so you're talking to the guy that will be able to put a kit through. Holler back and show some interest, and give me reassurance that a kit like this will be moving off the shelves. :thumb:

Kenan Arik
Truxxx Manufacturing
http://www.truxxx.com

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kenan... thanks for the interest in our vehicle of choice!!!

I personally would be interested. Nothing over the top per say... maybe just a set of front strut spacers.. possibly in conjunction w/ some wheel spacers to clear some 33's. Factory tires are about 31" I believe. Factory 18" are about 1/2" to 3/4" away from the struts. I'd be more than happy to be your guinea pig.

·
Registered
812 Posts
how about a lowering kit?? :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It definitely wouldn't be anything over the top, just a couple more inches to get better tire and wheel package options. Ideally, it will be a strut spacer to keep it easy to install, but I will have to find out what works.

1 vote for lift, and 1 for lowering... who else?

·
Registered
659 Posts
KBacon said:
Factory 18" are about 1/2" to 3/4" away from the struts. I'd be more than happy to be your guinea pig.
I have noted a fair amount of variability in this clearance among multiple vehicles on the dealer lot. On some vehicles, including mine, the tire corner edge to the fixed under strut perch, clearance is no more than 1/4". In my opinion, its going to be difficult to put a tire of any larger overall size on without changing the suspension strut housing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well if you are looking for votes I will throw in one for nothing to be modified. I buy them stock and sell them stock and will not buy a vehicle that has anything like a lift kit done to it. The resale takes a big hit.

But that's just me and my vote for leaving it stock. :cheers:

·
Registered
683 Posts
You should consider making this a poll with "lift" and "lower" as your options. While I would be shot by the wife if I lowered this car too...my vote would be for a lowering kit. ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
lowering kit :hyper:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lift kit, as long as it does not impact ride quality and handling. :clap: :blob: Had a bad experience with spacers on my 05 Xterra...a bit leery but still curiose.

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with toyjunkie. NO mods.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It definitely wouldn't be anything over the top, just a couple more inches to get better[/color] tire and wheel package options. Ideally, it will be a strut spacer to keep it easy to install, but I will have to find out what works.

1 vote for lift, and 1 for lowering... who else?
"Better" is in the eye of the beholder. Stock wheels are 18" or 19" in diameter. How much larger do they need to be? Are you speaking of adding larger diameter tires as well? This will negatively affect gearing, acceleration, and speedometer/odometer readings. Additionally, a lifted vehicle has a larger frontal area and this creates more drag and less MPG. If keeping the tire diameter the same, you are getting into some very low profile tires with very short sidewalls. This will have negative effects on ride quality.

Is there much of an off-road market for these vehicles? From what I've read, the AWD system does not work like that of a traditional 4x4 and the AWD is not really designed for off-road use.

The only reason I can see adding larger diameter wheels to my vehicles would be for disk brake conversions using larger diameter rotors. I performed one from 13" to 15" wheels, and another from 16" to 17". You could fit monster brakes under the stock Acadia 18" wheels.

My vote if I were to mod anything would be to lower the vehicle. This reduces the frontal area and usually returns better handling, albeit usually at the expense of some ride quality, and reduces the width range of tires that can be fitted.

For reference:
I have 17x11 wheels (stock was 16x8) w/ 335/35 tires on the rear and 17x9 w/ 275/40 on the front of my Trans Am, and experience some rubbing on turns with the stock WS-6 springs. The tires are the same diameter as the stock ones.

I was able to fit the Trans Am 16x8 wheels (stock was 14x5.5 or 6, the car didn't have the stock wheels when I bought it) with smaller diameter tires (about the same diameter as stock) onto a 1975 Datsun 280Z via some spacer/adapters that were custom made for the car, and some modified coilovers on the front. I spent a lot of time measuring before I ordered the spacers, and everything is a good fit. I can't tell about any rubbing as yet since the car is still being worked on for paint & mechanical issues.

I fell into a set of 18" wheels with great tires mounted for my RX7 (stock was 15"). They had been on a Mustang, and were like 10mm too wide for optimum fit on the front, and a bit taller than stock. Since I was also replacing the differential, transmission, and motor (with a V8), this as not a factor so far as loss of acceleration, and I use an electronic speedometer that I calibrated. The rears actually were a perfect fit, but I experience some rubbing over bumps on the front. Ideally, they need to be spaced out the 10mm and this also calls for some wider fenders. I felt at first they were too large, but due to the sports car characteristics of the car, the lower ride quality is not a factor. The plan for this car is to either install the fenders (it needs paint anyway) or install 10mm narrower tires when the ones there now wear out.

Just throwing out some info & my experience FWIW.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I bought the Acadia because I love the way it looks. I vote for neither, but based on what I typically see of SUVs, you will have a variety of folks out there that will do both. Why, I do not know, but I am sure you will sell some. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GAR said:
I bought the Acadia because I love the way it looks. I vote for neither, but based on what I typically see of SUVs, you will have a variety of folks out there that will do both. Why, I do not know, but I am sure you will sell some. Good luck!!!
I'd vote for neither as well. The Acadia is already low enough as it is, I can't imagine it being much lower to the ground without dragging it's underbelly on the pavement. And I think this particular vehicle would look ridiculous with a lift kit. Of course, that's all my personal preference and opinion. I'm sure there is quite a market out there for both! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
A 1 or 2 inch lift would be grand. were not 4x4ing - just for the extra ground clearence. Here in the winter it would be great. How about a picture of an Acadia with a mock up lift to see what it would look like???

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would vote to leave it alone. The Acadia AWD was not meant to go off road like a 4X4. I could can understand people in high snow areas wanting a little more clearance because the front air dam wasn't meant to be a snow plow. Maybe some type air ride system would answer some of the issues. You could have a temporary low speed lift to gain clearance while keeping stability,a normal setting for everyday,and possibly lower setting to help handling at higher speeds. Lincoln had a similar system on the Mark IV? that lowered the suspension at 55-60mph to add stability and reduce drag to help fuel economy.

Bobby

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lowering Kit Lowering Kit!!! I was just at a car show and the Acadia from ground to entry (the rubber molding) is 16-1/2" and the Enclave is 16", but I need a lower vehicle! I LOVE the Acadia but I see that a Grand Caravan is at 13" :-\ oh no! Don't want to go a minivan! If the Acadia could just be lowered a few inches my world would be a happy little place. My husband said to see if anyone on the Forum had used a lowering kit for their Acadia, but from this post I take it that there are none available at this time? Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts