GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much did it cost for your licence plates the first time you got them?
I just got mine today and they were $920 :'( dang!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Each of the 105 counties in Kansas have their own tax rates, but where I live 1 year of property taxes and registration runs about $540 on our 2008. The taxes drop each year older the vehicle is as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
supaman said:

In Canada, we pay $20 , unless you get personalized plates for $275! Why are you guys paying so much!?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Holy Crikey!!!! I think I'd fall over if I had to pay that much for license plates. Mine are vanity plates and I don't even pay near that.

It's $65 to title a vehicle and $91 a year for my vanity plates.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine are like $110-120 a year for personalized + special (university) plates.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Everything just changed here in DE effective 10/1.

Tagging the car last April cost me 2.75% of the sticker price. That rate just went up to 3.5% and will go to 3.75% 10/1/08. If the vehicle is used or transferred from out of state, the rates are applied to NADA retail value.

Title fees just went to $25 with no liens, $35 if liened.

Annual registration just doubled from $20/year to $40.

While the cost of tags may be high compared to other states, bear in mind that Delaware's sales tax is a whopping ZERO percent.

Dunno what vanity tags cost. I'm not that vain (with no offense intended toward you folks more creative than I am.....just kiddin' with yas :poke:)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
rudykizuty said:
Dunno what vanity tags cost. I'm not that vain (with no offense intended toward you folks more creative than I am.....just kiddin' with yas :poke:)
Not vain. :p It's my dedication to the day they took Buffy The Vampire Slayer off the air. The day the last episode of the series aired, I ordered my new license plates... GRR ARGH. Which is also quite suitable for when driving in Chicago tollway traffic.

·
Registered
284 Posts
rudykizuty said:
Everything just changed here in DE effective 10/1.

Tagging the car last April cost me 2.75% of the sticker price. That rate just went up to 3.5% and will go to 3.75% 10/1/08. If the vehicle is used or transferred from out of state, the rates are applied to NADA retail value.

Title fees just went to $25 with no liens, $35 if liened.

Annual registration just doubled from $20/year to $40.

While the cost of tags may be high compared to other states, bear in mind that Delaware's sales tax is a whopping ZERO percent.

GREAT post. Being from Delaware, but actually not being 100% up to date on what current car titling/taxing/etc. costs are, it's quite informative :thumb:

supaman said:
What's the ACTUAL breakdown on this? Part has to be registration, part tax, etc....as I can't imagine just a plate fee alone being $1k.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I haven't bought an Acadia yet but my Silverado was like 700 plus 8.1% sales tax. :violent:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Our first year tag including taxes and registration came to $1231 in Oklahoma. OUr overall cost of living is low -- not including the tagging of a new vehicle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Web Raven said:
rudykizuty said:
Not vain. :p It's my dedication to the day they took Buffy The Vampire Slayer off the air. The day the last episode of the series aired, I ordered my new license plates... GRR ARGH. Which is also quite suitable for when driving in Chicago tollway traffic.
I was just kidding about being vain.

You can trust however that the reference to Buffy would fly right over my head. All I know about the show is.........that it was something on tv. Although, chances are that if I were stuck behind you in that Chicago traffic, I'd get it ;D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Florida - my tags cost $56. College/specialty plate add $20. Personalized add another $20.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
rudykizuty said:
Web Raven said:
rudykizuty said:
I was just kidding about being vain.

You can trust however that the reference to Buffy would fly right over my head. All I know about the show is.........that it was something on tv. Although, chances are that if I were stuck behind you in that Chicago traffic, I'd get it ;D
I've only run into a few people over the years who have "gotten it". At the end of every episode of Buffy (and Angel for that matter) is a little cartoon Mutant Enemy character who moves across the screen and says "GRR... ARGH." in a funny little voice. :D

I'm still finding this thread entirely unreal with respect to how much people have to pay in other states to license their vehicles. When I lived in Florida briefly, years ago, I never transferred my plates because they wanted like $500 a vehicle in order to do so. That's nuts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Web Raven said:
I'm still finding this thread entirely unreal with respect to how much people have to pay in other states to license their vehicles. When I lived in Florida briefly, years ago, I never transferred my plates because they wanted like $500 a vehicle in order to do so. That's nuts.
If you move here, you have 30 days to get the car transferred. Otherwise, you face the prospect of added fines to go along with the cost of tagging and registering the car.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
rudykizuty said:
Web Raven said:
If you move here, you have 30 days to get the car transferred. Otherwise, you face the prospect of added fines to go along with the cost of tagging and registering the car.
I'm sure there was a similar law in Florida for that. But I never even transferred my driver's license from IL. In fact, um, I probably have a few outstanding tickets (one for driving in the car pool lane, one for parking) in the fine state of Florida. ::) I only lived there from August thru November of 1993. Maybe it was long enough ago that those tickets would be long gone. I wasn't even using my own car when I got them...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Web Raven said:
I only lived there from August thru November of 1993. Maybe it was long enough ago that those tickets would be long gone.
It probably varies from state to state but after 10+ years I'd bet they're off the books.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's great to be military. I pay a flat $60 for plates/tags and then the county registration (sticker in the window) is free for Active Duty Soldiers that moved here on orders. I'm not exactly sure of the numbers but that is what I've been told by a few others. When I buy my Acadia - I'll update everyone.

Any military in VA/DC know the right numbers? I see a few of you driving out here with the government decals on. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[/quote]

What's the ACTUAL breakdown on this? Part has to be registration, part tax, etc....as I can't imagine just a plate fee alone being $1k.
[/quote]

PRIOR O.T. - $123.36 (WHAT'S THIS FOR I DON'T KNOW?)
OWN TAX - $740.15
LIC. FEE - $50.39
TOTAL = $913.90

·
Registered
88 Posts
Florida charges a one tome fee of $300 for your first plate. Once you get a plate you never have to pay that fee again. Hence I paid it when I was 16, 13 years ago and only pay the renewal fee which is $56.

If you transfer in from out of state it is $300 as well. There may be an additional fee for the title but its not much. Compared to some of these other states FL seems like a bargain. No wonder my Uncle from VA always wanted to register his cars at my parents house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts