GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've had my 08 Acadia, bought in the end of Feb, it has been in the shop for two different things.
One was the Turn Lane feature not working. They did fix that, after I had it in twice.
While it was there I pointed out that the Black Panels by all the windows had quite a few scratches and swirl marks on them. The guy ordered new ones for me. I took the car in yesterday, and they found that one of them was dinged up in transit. So they ordered another one to come this am. Yup, dinged up too. Now they don't know what to do, but order yet another overnight.
Which brings me to the topic of my post. If there panels are so easily scratched or dinged, could they not me a defect, and fall under the Lemon Law?? I mean, whats not to say I take the car to the car wash and they get scratched up, are they going to replace it again??
What almost makes more sense, is the have them all painted to match the color of the car, that would put a better finish on the and I think would look better as well. I'm going to suggest that they reorder all of them and have the body shop paint them to match the car.
Thoughts, comments......

·
Registered
635 Posts
One was the Turn Lane feature not working. They did fix that, after I had it in twice. If it is fixed, why turn the car in under the lemmon law?

While it was there I pointed out that the Black Panels by all the windows had quite a few scratches and swirl marks on them. The guy ordered new ones for me. I took the car in yesterday, and they found that one of them was dinged up in transit. So they ordered another one to come this am. Yup, dinged up too. Now they don't know what to do, but order yet another overnight. I have had several cars that have had something like these panels. If an abrasive cleaning compound is used on them, you can get the marks you are talking about. Painting them will not do much of anything since they are plastic, they will still get those marks. My first Saturn was of the plastic nature and when I used anything other than a chamois cloth, I got swirl/scratch marks. It's the nature of the beast.

Which brings me to the topic of my post. If there panels are so easily scratched or dinged, could they not me a defect, and fall under the Lemon Law?? Lemon law is for those vehicles that after several trips to the shop a problem can't be fixed and the car is defective in and of itself, not for an item that is easy to scratch. If that were the case every vehicle would be that way as all it takes to scratch the paint is someone opening their car door into yours.

While I hate to have problems with a new vehicle, they do happen. Since the dealer is fixing them for you and not giving you the run around (like many others on these forums are having problems with), I would be grateful that what problems you have are not that bad and just enjoy your new ride.

IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the lemon law only pertains to mechanical and safety issues, not cosmetic.

"If the paint is peeling, the light switch came out when you pulled on it, the car makes "funny noises" but otherwise drives just fine, or you found 10 things you don't like about your new car but none of them prevent you from driving it, then No, you do not have a Lemon."

http://www.carlemon.com/

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could look at some aftermarket replacement strip or molding that goes overtop.

I had a Chrysler 300M that had the side pillars that really faded in the Texas Sun.
I considered ebay-ing some stainless steel covers for them -- but
never did so.

m

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went in to get the car last week.
I had washed it a few days before I took it in to the shop. It did sit there for 3 days. So they bring it out and its covered in dust. So much so, I can't even tell if the new panels are good or not because of the amount of dust.
I needed to go, so I left.
Got home 5 minutes later, yes I live that close. Picked up my 4 year old and we walked around the back of the car and I noticed one of the backup sensors looks strange. I touch it, and it pushes all the way in leaving a big hole.
Oh man, am I pissed now. Not only did they take 3 days to do this job, give me a dirty car but now the [email protected]@Ked up something else.
So I go over there and give it to the service mgr. Sorry about that he says.
I needed to go to work, so I had to leave. Oh and were they worked on the car, by the child car seat the guy left all his sharp metal flakes right on the arm rest so my little girl could have gotten all cut up.
So, its in there again this morning. Fixing the sensor and they are going to wash it, though its raining here today.
I did get the service mgr to give me free oil changes and tire rotations and anything else I needed for free for the next two years. I'm just worried about taking the car in for that stuff.

·
Registered
263 Posts
txhokie4life said:
You could look at some aftermarket replacement strip or molding that goes overtop.

I had a Chrysler 300M that had the side pillars that really faded in the Texas Sun.
never did so.

m
Yes you can, I was just checking out the crome or stanless ones as well. They ARE called pillars and have them in many styles....I'm still looking for the diamond studded ones..LOL I have no idea where I saw them. I think it was in the "Bling" Aftermarket stuff!

·
Registered
812 Posts
KarolsAcadia said:
txhokie4life said:

never did so.

m
Yes you can, I was just checking out the crome or stanless ones as well. They ARE called pillars and have them in many styles....I'm still looking for the diamond studded ones..LOL I have no idea where I saw them. I think it was in the "Bling" Aftermarket stuff!
BLASPHEMY!!! :nono: dont ever replace your door pillars with these chrome "bling types".... although if do come on these pink diamond studded ones, i like to order one... ;D ;D ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts