GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought it the tail light was fine but after a car wash it fogged up like a double-pain window :banghead: :banghead: that has lost it seal. But i fixed it by taking it to the dealer and found out they used the wrong sealer around the tail light and they re sealed it and it has been fine now, but am not sure about my other lights.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Thanks for the headsup. I'll have to keep an eye on my lights and see if this happens to my Acadia too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Both of my GM cars have this fogging problem. My 98 Grand Prix light actually exploded because of the moisture in there after a rain storm. It's just shoddy enginering. I would have hoped that they would have fixed this issue by now.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
This problem goes way beyond GM. My (former) 2002 Acura MDX had the problem with the headlight units. They would lose their seal and moisture would form inside. Sometimes, you could see water puddling inside! The biggest problem - they cost around $500 each to replace. :eek:

Kelly

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've got that problem on my Volvo. It is kinda scarey because I think there is an electrical problem on the car anyway (of course I'm a girl and girls don't know that kind of stuff) I've gone through about 3 headlights a year, fortunately on the OTHER side. I keep waiting for a big shock one day! I guess that day will be on my way to pick up my Acadia on Monday. After that it will be some one else's problem. (or mashed in a land fill!) >:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just noticed that my Left Rear Taillight is doing the same thing, guess it is a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mckcab said:
I've got that problem on my Volvo. It is kinda scarey because I think there is an electrical problem on the car anyway (of course I'm a girl and girls don't know that kind of stuff) I've gone through about 3 headlights a year, fortunately on the OTHER side. I keep waiting for a big shock one day! I guess that day will be on my way to pick up my Acadia on Monday. After that it will be some one else's problem. (or mashed in a land fill!) >:D
my mothers old volvo always did that and the dealer never fixed it after bring it in 6 times and also for brakes that would sound like a semi truck stoping . The lights bulbs are an arm and a leg for them and one day the dealer said it needs a new head light and she said will that fix it and they had no idea , so thats when she sold it and bought an old 99 suburban (sold now to)

But at least the acadia light never shorted out and my dealer gave me a shuttle ride home so i didn't have to wate 4 hours sitting at the dealer. they also gave me a ride back when it was done so i didn't have to bug any body about droping me off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My left passenger light fogged up the other day after I washed the car. Gonna half to keep an eye on that. Thanks for the heads up. Did the dealer fix it for free?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dinny said:
Did the dealer fix it for free?
yes it was all free. i thought it was just me but since so many people are having trouble i think it should be a recall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't see the fogging problem on mine yet, but I do have some sort of dirt/debris stuck in the "seal" on the top edge of both tail light lenses. Just enough to catch your eye and be annoying. This should have been caught at the factory during inspection...

ahhh, another item for my list... ;)

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
My rear tail light lenses seem to have a small hole on the side of the lens. Does yours have the same?

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I stand corrected - upon further inspection, it is not a hole. It appears to be a round mark, probably from the moulding process.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Both of my tail lights have this problem, went to the dealer and had them replaced, got it back yesterday and guess what, the new lights do the same thing. These units are supposed to be sealed units, no bulbs to change, so they should not leak any water or moisture into them but as soon as you run water over them they leak and fog back up. The bad thing is there is some shiny metal in there that looks like chrome and if the moisture stays in there eventually it will cause the metal to corrode. Hopefully the dealer comes up with a fix.

·
Registered
428 Posts
sorry i need real solutions , u have already hijacked one thread with that crap lets not do another, the bad thing is someone out there probably thinks that crap is real

·
Registered
423 Posts
whoa, settle down chief. i didnt hijack that thread.
that shiny metal is just chrome plated plastic, you should no that by the interior parts. you dont have to worry about rust. i am not sure what answer you are looking for but take it back again. im sure they are seal being that they are led, if they wont help, dry it out and caulk it. i am thinking that they may be vented though. if heat is created, it must go somewhere...not sure how hot led get though. is that better?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dfrank78 said:
sorry i need real solutions , u have already hijacked one thread with that crap lets not do another, the bad thing is someone out there probably thinks that crap is real
He does have a point :sosad:

·
Registered
428 Posts
the entire led tail light is a sealed unit. u cant take it out and caulk it, u cant do anything but remove it unplug it and replace the entire unit

·
Registered
428 Posts
by the way i do also know that the "metal" is chrome plated plastic. I also know that while it wont rust the moisture will eventually cause the coating or "plating" to dull or change color or even chip off. Not only that when the plastic lens fogs over from the moisture you have a visibility issue as the light isnt as bright anymore :(

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think we need a referee down here; remember cooler heads prevail ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts