GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was about 35 miles from home and driving my 2007 Acadia when a vibration suddenly developed that was strong enough to cause vibration of the interior parts.

Pulled over and checked tires, lug nuts and steering linkages... all OK. Started up again and got about 400 ft. down the road and the vibration became violent... shaking the entire car. Stopped again and got under it. I found that the propeller shaft had only one of six bolts left and the reaming bolt was backed out to the point that the shaft was hanging down. WOW! That could have been a real problem if shaft had dropped and dug into the pavement.

Called AAA and had it transported to the nearest GMC dealer.

The b**ch I have is with my dealer. A Service Campaign Bulletin 07147A was issued in Jan. 08 calling for replacement of the six bolts on the propeller shaft because the original bolts are backing out of the shaft. In 2008 from Feb. through Sept., my Acadia was in the dealers shop four different times for warranty work. Why wasn't this done during one of the visits. I'm going to call them this afternoon and ask that question... That's a potentially serious problem.

Here's an excerpt from the Bulletin:

This bulletin provides a service procedure to install six new propeller shaft-to-transfer case bolts in certain 2007
AWD GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook vehicles. The new bolts improve the durability of the joint. Some bolts
have become loose on vehicles with the earlier production bolts. Separations of the propeller shaft, which would
require all six bolts to loosen and back out, have not occurred and are not likely. Separation would cause only
noise and vibration; driving through the front wheels would be unaffected. This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer/retailer

Well believe me, all six can fall out!

So the point is if you own a 2007 Acadia or 2007 Outlook, check to see if your vehicle is affected.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
My question would be, how come YOU didn't check it before it became a personal issue? Wasn't a campaign notice sent to you? It's usually SOP for a manufacturer to issue such a notice to the original owner. A lot of dealers see so many vehicles come through the service department doors that it becomes virtually impossble for them to review the status of each one. Give your dealer a break on this one!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
speleos said:
My question would be, how come YOU didn't check it before it became a personal issue? Wasn't a campaign notice sent to you? It's usually SOP for a manufacturer to issue such a notice to the original owner. A lot of dealers see so many vehicles come through the service department doors that it becomes virtually impossble for them to review the status of each one. Give your dealer a break on this one!
I never received any notification by mail or any other method. I'm not sure that a Service Campaign Bulletin requires the same notification that a Recall does.

As far as the dealer is concerned, they have done some service bulletin work during regular service trips without me prompting them. I don't make it a habit to research all of the service issues for the six vehicles that I own. If i get a notice in the mail, I take action. The dealers have records of the my vehicles and I expect them to know what manufacturing issues need to be corrected. I don't have to tell my Audi dealer what to do... they do it!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
This is #2 for driveshaft problems that I've read about recently- the other one was also a 2007:

Link

Text:
Well this one was an actual friend's Acadia. My best friend has an Acadia and we took it to go skiing since neither of my cars fit skis. Any way we were almost there and we heard a banging noise that you could hear about once every three seconds. If you went faster the time in between the noise would decrease. So I told him pull over something is dragging. I figured it was the exhaust, but I looked under and..a GMC driveshaft hanging down. Dealership repaired it for free and GM sent him a big apology letter and extended his warranty for years.

I'm surprised we haven't had more reports of this happening, or if we did maybe they were before I joined last year.

If it was an open campaign, it should show up in GMVIS and have been taken care of one of the times it was at the dealer IMO. When we picked up our brand new Acadia last fall, there was another new one there that was having a campaign completed on it, and they also checked ours for open recalls/campaigns.

I Googled the number provided & found the bulletin as a PDF. I've attached it. Here is a key phrase from page 1:
This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer/retailer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer/retailer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just noticed something. This service expires with the base warranty which is 3 years 36,000 miles. The drive train has a warranty of 5 years 100,00 miles... which applies?

I'm at 35 months and 34,978 miles!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'd say they'd be hard pressed to deny it under the drivetrain warranty based on where it is and what it does, but there may be some fine print in there.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Sounds like this must have been corrected for 08 and later models. That's a drivetrain warranty item in any event.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dickf5187 said:
Just noticed something. This service expires with the base warranty which is 3 years 36,000 miles. The drive train has a warranty of 5 years 100,00 miles... which applies?

I'm at 35 months and 34,978 miles!
What does it matter? You are still within the time frame for both.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
khansen30 said:
I think you sort of missed the point.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm not (53,000 miles) and I am pretty sure I haven't had this work done. I haven't received a letter about it. I would like to know if this is going to be paid by me to get it fixed if there is a problem. I have had the car in for suddering, but it was an air intake issue (it's been in twice for this issue).

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
mckcab said:
I'm not (53,000 miles) and I am pretty sure I haven't had this work done. I haven't received a letter about it. I would like to know if this is going to be paid by me to get it fixed if there is a problem. I have had the car in for suddering, but it was an air intake issue (it's been in twice for this issue).
Your Red Jewel appears to be FWD and I believe this only applies to AWD 2007 Acadias. I panicked at first too, but then I read the excerpt posted in the first post. :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
khansen30 said:
I think the point was things like this are perceived to usually go bad at 36 months and 1 day or 36,050 miles (i.e. just out of the warranty period, not just before). It's interesting it failed just before the basic warranty would have expired, and shows how on the money the time and mileage is for that particular vehicle. We'll mileage out of basic warranty well before 3 years.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
One of the main reasons I opted for FWD. Less mechanical complexity, better fuel mileage and less expensive. I understand the need if your'e in a very snowy climate but beyond that, can't see why so many go for the AWD.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Cool, Web. Thanks, getting son ready for prom and left the forum on. That's what I get for running in and out!

·
Registered
956 Posts
When my awd Acadia was in for another minor problem, the dealer ordered the new bolts and installed them on my next visit. I didn't think much about it at the time, but I'm glad the service tech did his job.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
It's a well-trained tech and writer team, probably. Unfortunately, Dickf, you might have dealt with a rookie on either, or both sides of the RO and it just got missed. Stuff happens..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
speleos said:
It's a well-trained tech and writer team, probably. Unfortunately, Dickf, you might have dealt with a rookie on either, or both sides of the RO and it just got missed. Stuff happens..
I could understand if that were the case. The Tech I usually deal with has been at the dealership for about ten years. Not exactly a rookie. I probably get him about half the time. I've been doing business with this dealership for about 15 years. It's only been in the last two years that the service has fallen off. I had a calm discussion with the Service Manager about a year ago about my concerns. . I operate under the assumption that something can't be fixed if they don't know about it. Didn't seem to help.

The problem usually is with warranty repairs. I always plan on making a minimum of two trips for repairs. Never are the parts on hand. They used to be good about calling when the parts arrive but they seem to have changed their policy and I have to call them to see if the parts are in. This has happened three times in the last year... not an isolated event. It took three trips to get the seat rails fixed. The first return trip I was informed that they had ordered the wrong parts. Finally a month later the right parts arrived.

I don't know what has happened but they aren't the dealership they used to be.

By the way, I got the vehicle back about an hour ago. Works like a charm. My hat is off to Simms Buick - Pontiac - GMC in Euclid Ohio. They removed the bolts and prop shaft from an 09 on the lot to get my car back on the road. Their comment to me is that they wanted to make sure I had it back for the weekend... GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Dickf5187 said:
I could understand if that were the case. The Tech I usually deal with has been at the dealership for about ten years. Not exactly a rookie. I probably get him about half the time. I've been doing business with this dealership for about 15 years. It's only been in the last two years that the service has fallen off. I had a calm discussion with the Service Manager about a year ago about my concerns. . I operate under the assumption that something can't be fixed if they don't know about it. Didn't seem to help.

The problem usually is with warranty repairs. I always plan on making a minimum of two trips for repairs. Never are the parts on hand. They used to be good about calling when the parts arrive but they seem to have changed their policy and I have to call them to see if the parts are in. This has happened three times in the last year... not an isolated event. It took three trips to get the seat rails fixed. The first return trip I was informed that they had ordered the wrong parts. Finally a month later the right parts arrived.

By the way, I got the vehicle back about an hour ago. Works like a charm. My hat is off to Simms Buick - Pontiac - GMC in Euclid Ohio. They removed the bolts and prop shaft from an 09 on the lot to get my car back on the road. Their comment to me is that they wanted to make sure I had it back for the weekend... GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Change in management means certain changes in customer service; it always happens a new guy comes on board and wants to make a name for themselves

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dickf5187 said:

That is great that you had your Acadia back for the weekend but think of the person who purchases the 09 that the parts were removed from. They are buying a new vehicle that has had parts swapped out. That is one thing I hated about the dealers. Thats why I look for vehicles that just arrived and haven't been on the lots for a long time for these thing to occur.

Bobby

1 - 19 of 19 Posts