GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
There are a few decent 9012 LED replacement bulbs out there. Being down under, Amazon might be a good place to look. Read customer reviews before buying. The most important thing is to make sure the LED bulbs are able to be "indexed" or "clockable" with the LED elements positioned at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions.
I've got LED bulbs in our '19 Acadia but had to modify the LED locking collar to make sure the LED chip elements were in the proper position.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
The change from halogen to LED headlights is pretty straight forward. Going from HID to LED is a bit more involved.

·
Registered
949 Posts
How good are they ? And are they affordable? Are they easy to install, not very well known about in Oz.
Down Under . .. there is a company by the name of Stedi Light. They make and sell a lot of LEDs for different applications including automotive 9012 LED replacements. Maybe look them up.

I bought a set a year or so ago and have the H11 version on my truck. Maybe check them out also. Not the lowest cost, but very well made.

They also are 5700K color temperature so a more natural light.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I went with Diode Dynamics (LED Headlight Bulbs & Bulb Replacements) in my 05 Grand Prix GXP. Very reputable company that's been around for a while and recommended over and over by people across many sites and YouTube comparison videos. More expensive than much that you'll find on Amazon, but not at the extreme high end price range either. To sum up why people like them is the beam is consistent (it stays cooler than most), doesn't scatter (cheap ones have the LEDs farther apart), and is white (6000k), not blue. You get what you pay for. Install is simply a bulb swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with Diode Dynamics (LED Headlight Bulbs & Bulb Replacements) in my 05 Grand Prix GXP. Very reputable company that's been around for a while and recommended over and over by people across many sites and YouTube comparison videos. More expensive than much that you'll find on Amazon, but not at the extreme high end price range either. To sum up why people like them is the beam is consistent (it stays cooler than most), doesn't scatter (cheap ones have the LEDs farther apart), and is white (6000k), not blue. You get what you pay for. Install is simply a bulb swap.
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Important to note that using LED replacement bulbs in older "reflector" type headlight housings scatter and blind oncoming drivers.
They may look great to the driver, but not so much to oncoming traffic.
Also, you can not rely on. . . "I never get flashed by other drivers !"
These days. . . . many are concerned with road rage and other kinds of repercussions if you "flash" a vehicle back to let them know their headlight are blinding. So not getting flashed by other drivers can not be a true indication of LED light scatter.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
Clicking just once on the image below may or may not enlarge it to full size. Sometimes it does. . .. sometimes not. Quirky forum software?
More often it's user error - inserting a file too large for the software to handle.

·
Registered
949 Posts
No error when loading it. So how is a poster to know? Quirky then.

I load pictures all the time on many forums and other websites. Also. . getting a lot of others errors here like this one today and lasts for minutes or even an hour.
" upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure "

And . . no. . . it not my connection error, ISP or other issue on my end since other websites are working fine.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
... Also. . getting a lot of others errors here like this one today and lasts for minutes or even an hour.
" upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure "
Been seeing something like that from time to time. The 'upstream' reference suggests it's a server problem. Not much to do about that except wait for the problem to resolve itself.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Important to note that using LED replacement bulbs in older "reflector" type headlight housings scatter and blind oncoming drivers.
+1 to the comment about reflector housings, but we need to be careful about generalizations. The car above has that, which it's why I recommended that manufacturer. The blanket statement above doesn't apply to all of them. Mainly the cheap-o's, which is most you see on Amazon. You need to get bulbs that are well engineered for this application. Most people fail to research properly and buy what they think is a good deal. You can find the correct solution with enough thought. So... No. My car does not blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The factory halogens were horrible in our 2017. The aftermarket LEDs are somewhat better and I did get the clockable ones. The problem is the horrible design of the headlight housings on the 2017+ Acadia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The factory halogens were horrible in our 2017. The aftermarket LEDs are somewhat better and I did get the clockable ones. The problem is the horrible design of the headlight housings on the 2017+ Acadia.
I ended up going with HIDs with the projector beam type I have on mine which is a 2017 and they are awesome and replace the flags with LEDs but the heads are we antastiq if you had the projection being type head light assembly there is a active steel shutter that opens and closes for to go from low beam to high beam they will need a slight adjustment to be aim down because of the brightness but now I can actually see what's going on I'm up here in deer country

1 - 19 of 19 Posts