GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the warranty on the leather? Mine front seat has some "peeling" on the seam closest to the door

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would think it would be covered on the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Would depend on what you have put on it or what has gotten on it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
khansen30 said:
I think more than that it depends on your dealer. Our seats had something on them when we took delivery and "we" tried scratching it off of the leather. Needless to say "we" ruined one of the seats. Our dealer covered it under warranty as a problem when we took delivery.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
khansen30 said:
it is kind of normal wear. the spot were it is gets rubbed every time i exit and enter the truck

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
compnurd said:
khansen30 said:
it is kind of normal wear. the spot were it is gets rubbed every time i exit and enter the truck
Have you tried some leather cleaner.. Is it leather flaking off, or dirt building up flaking off?

Update your signature to share the details of your Acadia.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
bonk1313 said:
compnurd said:
khansen30 said:
Have you tried some leather cleaner.. Is it leather flaking off, or dirt building up flaking off?

Not only have you used any cleaner, have you conditioned them? Sounds like your leather has dried out. Think of your skin, if you don't use any lotion your skin dries up and starts to flake.

Have you owned leather seats like this before?
If you have not, did the dealer explain to you about cleaning and conditioning them? (that would be the only way, I think, that the dealer would cover under warranty). I have not heard of any defects in leather on these vehicles yet. However it is possible to get a deffective hide that was tanned wrong, but very rare.

This still sounds like wear and tear (no pun intended) and lack of care (not to insult your care for the vehicle or your knowledge or lack there of knowing how to care for leather). I have had mine for 16 months and no flaking. I have owned leather couches for years and never had this problem. I sold all types of leather shoes and boots for 19 years and only had maybe 4 instances of flaking, and then it was only in the finish not the leather.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If your vehicle is still under warranty take it back. The bumper to bumper warranty will cover the seat. Even if you have not conditioned the seat it shouldnt be cracking and peeling in such a short time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
khansen30 said:
bonk1313 said:
compnurd said:
khansen30 said:

Not only have you used any cleaner, have you conditioned them? Sounds like your leather has dried out. Think of your skin, if you don't use any lotion your skin dries up and starts to flake.

If you have not, did the dealer explain to you about cleaning and conditioning them? (that would be the only way, I think, that the dealer would cover under warranty). I have not heard of any defects in leather on these vehicles yet. However it is possible to get a deffective hide that was tanned wrong, but very rare.

This still sounds like wear and tear (no pun intended) and lack of care (not to insult your care for the vehicle or your knowledge or lack there of knowing how to care for leather). I have had mine for 16 months and no flaking. I have owned leather couches for years and never had this problem. I sold all types of leather shoes and boots for 19 years and only had maybe 4 instances of flaking, and then it was only in the finish not the leather.
Holy crap

Yes i have owned 3 cars prior with leather seats and yes these seats were conditioned twice in the last year. It is not like some huge piece is peeling off, there just appears to be some slight flaking above the stich line on the drivers seat

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know that I subscribe to this theory but in the owners manual it says not to use any cleaner other than mild soap and water, and no conditioners on the leather. So take it for what it's worth but that's what GM says to do.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
compnurd said:
khansen30 said:
bonk1313 said:
compnurd said:
khansen30 said:

Holy crap

Yes i have owned 3 cars prior with leather seats and yes these seats were conditioned twice in the last year. It is not like some huge piece is peeling off, there just appears to be some slight flaking above the stich line on the drivers seat
Don't mean to be a pain or insult you. but some of the replies your getting are because of the lack of description. If you post a picture then people will understand how small this issue is or what the issue is. Sometimes it is hard for people to understand without seeing. Photos are great. If you can post one, that may limit some of the responses that are bothersome to you.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Maybe next time you should just bypass this forum, or any other for that matter, and just ask your dealer what the warranty is.

The thing I have liked about the 5 Lambda sites is the swapping of info, helpful or not. The description you gave in your original post was wide open for a number of things that could be causing the problem, one of them being a defect (like I said in my other response, most of the time the flaking is the finish and not the leather, don't know what you have based on your description). Most leather manufacturers don't warranty wear on leather (GM is not the manufacturer, they bought it from some one else). You asked, I asked back for more info and you took it as a personal attack.

So, I go back to the statement I made above. Don't ask us, go to the dealer. That way you can gripe and moan and get instant feedback, good or bad, that you can respond to.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts