GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had my Acadia for 5 days. I noticed the leather in the front seats becoming really loose or wrinkled. Is this normal? I'd hate to see what this looks like after a year or two. Looks like it can rip. Shouldn't the leather be more tight then this? My Pilot has leather seats... but perhaps its a different kind of leather because it's tougher feeling whereas the Acadia is a bit soft to the touch.

Should I complain to the dealer? Or do you think this is normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine are nice and tight. The drivers seat in my old Tahoe kind of looked like that but the other seats were fine. I'd take it back to the dealer so it can be taken care of under warranty.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stevemel,

I think I will mention it to the dealer. They'll probably say something like "it's normal" or "needs time to stretch into place". I wanted to guage how other Acadia seats are holding up.

Regarding your Tahoe driver seat that looked like this, I'm assuming it's held up well over time, and it's just a minor wrinkle?

Paul

·
Registered
165 Posts
I only had a problem with the drivers seat in my Tahoe. All the others were fine. My wrinkle was not as loose as yours appears to be and it was not loose when we purchased the vehicle but eventually became a bit loose over time. It held up relatively well. I have to admit that I did not take very good care of the leather other than occasional general cleaning. I did not condition the seat more than once...maybe twice...in 5 years of ownership. Living in Texas for most of that time, the inside of the car gets VERY hot and can cause leather to harden a bit. Therefore, in the last couple of years, the seat did developed some deep cracks and a tiny little rip by the seat belt. Guess it may have been prevented if I had taken better care of them from the get go. By the time the cracks got worse, I guess it was too late to reverse the damage with conditioner. Interestingly enough, nobody said anything about the seat when we recently sold it. Hope the long winded response helps.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I noticed that the leather that they used in the Outlook and Acadia is a little softer than what GM has used in the past, doesn't feel so Plastic. That being said mine looks just like in the picture.

·
Registered
405 Posts
my ebony drivers seat looks just like that and it did even at 250 miles i have 1200 on it now. The Yukon never did it until about 25,000 miles on it and the seats are much softer in the yukon IMO.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My seats don't look like that, but I've only put 400 miles on it. I have noticed that the leather is very impressionable though, even more than my Acura's leather was. Even the buckle on the front of my purse will leave an impression in the leather just from resting on it in a typical ride home from work. I never worried about my dog sitting on the passenger seat in my Acura, but in my Acadia I put a blanket down so his nails don't accidentally cause a hole.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've only had my Acadia for 1 week. It has had a total of 5 passengers in the back seat. Each one of them for a small amount of time. I just noticed a small tear on the mid rear passenger side seat. I've had small tears in past leather seats, but the earliest I've ever had it happen was 31,000 miles. On the other hand, I've had no other problems besides the stuck temp gauge on mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was already hesitant on getting leather seats. I prefer cloth. I don't like the way you sweat in the summer on leather seats, and we typically like to have windows down rather than air on. I would have chosen cloth, but I had to upgrade to the SLT-1 to get the sunroof. I really hope I don't end up hating the leather seats. :-\

·
Registered
752 Posts
I may be way off on this, but if you have the SLT2 with the lumbar support (in both seat and back), I would think that there would have to be a little more "give" in the leather. You can really feel the lumbar support pushing out and the leathers gotta give a bit for that - I think ???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My husband's G35 has wrinkles in his leather where it "wraps" around his bottom. (The seats come up around the side) It's from rubbing it when you get out. Other than that, his leather looks fine.

Now in my Acadia, my kids lay the middle seats down and sit in the third row at night and during the day the second row has been used for car pool and we don't have any problems. I'd take it back to the dealer. I wonder if that tear was there before and you just now noticed it. New leather shouldn't tear that easy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mckcab said:
My husband's G35 has wrinkles in his leather where it "wraps" around his bottom. (The seats come up around the side) It's from rubbing it when you get out. Other than that, his leather looks fine.

Now in my Acadia, my kids lay the middle seats down and sit in the third row at night and during the day the second row has been used for car pool and we don't have any problems. I'd take it back to the dealer. I wonder if that tear was there before and you just now noticed it. New leather shouldn't tear that easy.
I'm probably going to take it back and see what they say about it. I also owned a red G35 Coupe. I loved that car. I'm thinking about getting the G37 coupe once my current car goes to my daughter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The dealership did the right thing and did not give me any problems. They replaced the bottom of the seat. Good job GM.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nothing better than a great warranty!

·
Registered
110 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
Thanks Sboden for the follow-up...glad they took care of you properly...and sorry they had to at the same time!
I've owned many 1st year models. Everyone of them (Volvo C70, Infiniti G35 coupe, Dodge Magnum RT, Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T) had various TSB's (technical service bulletins). I'm a realistic person and I know 1st year models are to some extent test models because they have not had real world testing and they are going to find things they did not find during non real world testing. I accept it because I like the newer edgier vehicles. Everyone on this board needs to accept this also. The key for me is how the dealership/manufacturer respond to the problems. This dealership could have easily said the cut was caused by wear and tear or improper usage even though the vehicle is less than 2 weeks old and has only 200 miles on it. They didn't do that, so I'm a happy person. Also I think, at least at this time, GM is coming up with fixes for problems found during real world testing as a very good rate. Again we are to some extent guinea pigs for GM when it comes to finding problems with the Acadia. I noticed several members here own or owned G35 Coupes. Well, I was your guinea pig for the G35. I took delivery of mine the 1st month they came out. You can all thank me later 8) ;).

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sboden,
I couldn't have said it better. To add, I had a first year (first few months) Audi Allroad, and it had issues that were TSBs or slight recalls (wiper issue, gas cap issue), and the dealer took care of all of them. Granted, I didn't have a forum to be as knowledgeable as with the Acadia.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rufio:

My front passenger sear looked like that on delivery of my Acadia and dealer had it fixed at upholsterer. Fine now. I think they just pulled it nice and snug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.