GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm an owner of a 2008 Acadia that is 4 months old. I have black leather seats. This is my first vehicle with a leather interior.

I have noticed what I think are excessive leather wrinkles on the the driver seat. I have not used any leather cleaners or conditioners.

Please provide your opionions?

Is it normal? Should I use a conditioner immediately? The owner's manual states using a conditioner can change the appearance and feel of the leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
mtuffy said:
Please provide your opionions?
Looks pretty normal to me. Leather will age and develop a patina. The drivers seat more than the rest, for obvious reasons. Most modern leathers need very little care but occasional conditioners will keep it a bit more supple and less likely to crack. Personally, I don't care for most of the popular conditioning products as they often leave a very glossy, almost greasy appearance. I prefer a more matte finishe such as that from products like Spinneybeck conditioner. Everyone has their favorites and this is likely to lauch a string as opinionated as the average car wax preference string, or what oil should I use string... your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's dead skin man. Of course it wrinkles.

+1 for conditioning.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Leather always stretches as has no spring back characteristics when used as seating application. I use saddle soap on my leather shoes for cleaning and preserving. Anyone use saddle soap on leather areas of your car seats? Cowboys use saddle soap on their saddles and other leather goods, so must be the best for cleaning and preserving. Maybe making for less wrinkling too?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Give it a shot of botox ;D

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use Meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner, works fine for me. Remember this isn't top of the line leather either, GM has to save $$ somewhere...

·
Registered
130 Posts
You know, upon closer inspection of that photo, that is some pretty serious distressing of the leather. I don't know how it looked brand spanken new, but that photo looks like the leather in our 6 yr. old Envoy, with dark leather seats. My titanium seats (7 months old) look nothing close to that bad. I suspect the darker the leather, the more wear will show. You might ask the dealer if that is normal, or showing signs of excessive wear. I would expect it to look like that after a few years, but not a few months. I've never used any specific leather cleaner - just baby wipes to keep the interior clean.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the ebony interior, its 4mo old with 5k on it...and it looks nothing like the picture.

However, I did just trade in a 99 silverado with dark leather and it did look like that. Looks to me like you got 9 years ao wear in 4 months!

·
Registered
635 Posts
teetertotter said:
Leather always stretches as has no spring back characteristics when used as seating application. I use saddle soap on my leather shoes for cleaning and preserving. Anyone use saddle soap on leather areas of your car seats? Cowboys use saddle soap on their saddles and other leather goods, so must be the best for cleaning and preserving. Maybe making for less wrinkling too?
Saddle soap is great for cleaning if you have a lot of dirt build up or deap dirt stains. Even if you use saddle soap, you still have to use a conditioning agent to keep the seats and all leather products soft and lively. Think about it, when you use a non conditioning added soap on your hands, you still have to use lotion to keep your skin soft. Same concept here.

I disagree that leather has no spring back characteristics in seating. Heat causes leather to shrink. Leave your dress shoes in the car for a couple of days (if they are leather) and tell me if they don't fit a little tighter when you put them on again. The nice thing is that when you recondition the shoes (because the moisture in the shoes has dried out from being in the sun) they will stretch back out. Same with leather seats. Just because they are used as seating, leather will still dry out and shrink a little (the padding and frame keep them from shrinking too much). That is why it is important to condition them with a good conditioner to help them from shrinking too much and keep them nice the next time some one sits on them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Heat causes leather to shrink. Leave your dress shoes in the car for a couple of days (if they are leather) and tell me if they don't fit a little tighter when you put them on again.
Thats what OJ tried to say!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
eljones247 said:
Thats what OJ tried to say!
:clap: :rofl: That's funny!

As for this very old thread, the OP never said how many miles in 4 months, and/or how many times in and out of the seat, how much they weigh, etc. All this can vary so much between different drivers, it's hard to say what really is normal wear. I've never owned leather seats, so I can't comment on the conditioning aspect, but I would dare say they need to make sure they protect those seats, they look like they will have much more than normal wear and tear (and hopefully they won't TEAR, crack or peel).

(but the OP hasn't posted in over a year, so probably will never read my comment here)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The leather in my 07 looks like that (especially the driver's seat); I just keep them clean and conditioned :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read an article from a leather expert that recommended using face wash to clean leather seats as it gets the dirt out of the pores in the leather...you know what he was right and my leather looks amazing once i started using simple clearasol as the cleaner followed by a conditioner. Plus its multi purpose :cheers:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also looking at your image, it looks fine to me and the wrinkles will never go away but how much you notice them will because what you are seeing is dirt in the wrinkles. Clean the seat and condition it and it will look better.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
evahnulahm said:
I read an article from a leather expert that recommended using face wash to clean leather seats [/color]as it gets the dirt out of the pores in the leather...you know what he was right and my leather looks amazing once i started using simple clearasol as the cleaner followed by a conditioner. Plus its multi purpose :cheers:
Interesting idea; I will give it a try; never thought about face wash :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,733 Posts
evahnulahm said:
I read an article from a leather expert that recommended using face wash to clean leather seats as it gets the dirt out of the pores in the leather...you know what he was right and my leather looks amazing once i started using simple clearasol as the cleaner followed by a conditioner. Plus its multi purpose :cheers:
Yeah! Just think- your seats will never develop acne! ;D ::)

btw, how leather wrinkles depends partly on how the grain is laid and what part of the hide is used for that particular panel.

·
Super Moderator
21,733 Posts
Herrybraun said:
I am also looking for leather expert who provide me god advice. I found very useful information at your thread.
So sorry, but the leather gods are out to lunch right now. :hilarious:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts