GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Acadia back to the dealer yesterday for paint sealer and leather conditioner. Man the inside really smells bad now - kind of like ammonia. I left all the windows down overnite but it still smells.

Anyone know what that conditioner is? This is my first experience with leather in quite a few years so maybe a better question is can someone recommend a good conditioner I can apply in the future. Also how often should it be applied. It's really hot where I live and sometimes my back gets a little sweaty in the seat and I know that can't be good on the leather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used Lexol on leather interiors for many years. It is a very fine product, no longer real expensive [used to be], & available @ most car parts places, & Target.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The manual says not to put any kind of conditioners on the leather. Is this just a way of covering themselves in case the conditioner ruins the leather, or does the new leather really not need anything. This is my first ever leather car so I want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I shudder to think about a product applied to my seats that leaves an ammonia smell (we have cats).

I've used both Lexol and Zaino cleaners and conditioners on a variety of leather interiors from Porsche to Ford to our current Miata and Acadia. Both product lines worked well with no adverse effect on the leather. I even re-dyed the seats on my 944 after using Lexol for years. No problem. The Miata's seats were a little stiff when I bought it (a '99 purchased in '05). Cleaning with the Zaino cleaner and several applications of their conditioner have made them more supple. It took me about 15 minutes to apply the Zaino to our Brick 8-pass and it slightly deepened the color (for the better IMHO) and left a temporary lanolin smell that dissipated quickly.

I would recommend using a quality product according to label directions and your leather will look good for a long time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've always used Mother's or Meguairs and have always been very satisfied with the results. The liquid seems to do better than a spray. Neither brand has an offensive odor that I could detect. The main thing to remember is to use something. These seats will last a very long time if they are conditioned occassionally.

I've never been a fan of dealer applied protectants. I figure that they 'gouged' me once for the vehicle --- why should I go back for more? In my opinion, for these types of products, the aftermarket has a far superior product for a whole lot less money.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Re: Leather cleaner + Conditioner All-In-One

I recently read on another thread, that I can't find, where a person uses Bickmore. I looked it up and made a lot of sense to me. I bought a spray bottle of the Bick 5, complete leather care. If used in the horse industry, it must be pretty good....IMO. Since the temps are in the 20's, I will write them today and ask if okay to use and be effective. My two cents doing my leather care. I think I can thank the person for mentioning this product, even though I have yet to try it. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Re: Leather cleaner + Conditioner All-In-One

teetertotter said:
I recently read on another thread, that I can't find, where a person uses Bickmore. I looked it up and made a lot of sense to me. I bought a spray bottle of the Bick 5, complete leather care. If used in the horse industry, it must be pretty good....IMO. Since the temps are in the 20's, I will write them today and ask if okay to use and be effective. My two cents doing my leather care. I think I can thank the person for mentioning this product, even though I have yet to try it. :cheers:
If you want good leather conditioner/cleaners you do not go to auto parts stores, wallmart, target or any of those type of stores.

The good leather products are sold though tack stores, saddle shope, Feed stores, etc In other words they are sold where people buy their supplies to take care of their horse tack. Bickmore is one of the good ones. Lexol used to be good. Farnum has always provided a good product. Fiebings made a good conditioner.

Shoe repair shops are another place to look for the good products.

These days leather furniture places may carry a good line(s).

Once you learn what is a good product, you may find one in an auto store. Just do not make that your first stop and buy what you see.

George

·
Registered
330 Posts
This thread got revived from the dead....

Anyway, while there is some good advice here, now-a-days, all automotive leather is coated and doesn't respond to the same treatment that you would use for saddles and jackets, and other uncoated leather as the coating is much less porous than the leather underneath. You'll be much better off with a water-based solution (if any is used). The most important thing for this leather is to keep it clean and get something that has some UV protection in it.

The stuff you'll fine elsewhere will make your leather smell great, but isn't the stuff to use on this coated leather.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
z28lt1 said:
This thread got revived from the dead....

Anyway, while there is some good advice here, now-a-days, all automotive leather is coated and doesn't respond to the same treatment that you would use for saddles and jackets, and other uncoated leather as the coating is much less porous than the leather underneath. You'll be much better off with a water-based solution (if any is used). The most important thing for this leather is to keep it clean and get something that has some UV protection in it.

The stuff you'll fine elsewhere will make your leather smell great, but isn't the stuff to use on this coated leather.
Old threads are meant to be revived instead of keep repeating and repeating. One should search for info instead of starting a new thread all the time. Old topic threads are intended to keep like responses together. So, do your search first b/4 starting a new topic.

Added note, if leather has some kind of coating all ready from the manufacture, at least the Binkman 5 will keep it clean and when the coated top layer of leather begins to wear off, the added ingredients might help the worn top protective coating in the long run. Water solution is not for me if leather top coating or treated leather is wearing. That's me I guess.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It matters not whether or not the top coat of leather is treated. Treat it like leather and in turn it will treat you to a long life of good leather.

George

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
GeorgeC said:
It matters not whether or not the top coat of leather is treated. Treat it like leather and in turn it will treat you to a long life of good leather.George
I did some investigative searching on the internet yesterday, it does matter to clean/condition/protect auto leather. George, the 14' Acadia is the first leather seating we have experienced and will follow everyone's experiences. This procedure will be done on a regular basis. Thanks.

Another thing, in hot sunny weather, keep a couple windows cracked open to let heat escape as much as possible. Then too, with heated seats, you should heat them up first, before treating in one article I read. I guess this would open up the pores. Maybe this applies when doing in relatively cool/cold conditions, which will be my case, when doing this week. 20'sF this week and about 10F warmer in the garage. :help:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts