GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First being a new member I am glad to see a forum where Acadia owner can go to appreciate their Acadia's. I have been lurking the topics in search of a problem that arose this past weekend. I couldn't find such a topic so I joined the club.

I got my 08 SLT-1 FWD Acadia stuck in a snow drift, due to my stupidity thinking I could make it though. Long story short it bottomed out and I was forced to dig the truck out with a shovel. As I was digging out I noticed a green fluid that had soaked the snow under the front scoop and behind the front right wheel area. I knew it couldn't be coolant because Dex Cool is red in color, or trans fluid its red, Engine oil its brown, break fluid also brown. I picked the green stuff up and felt it in my hand it was not slippery like oil and it had no smell. I wrote it off as it must have been something the under carriage picked up from the road. The next day I got the truck stuck in some deep soft snow and again in the process of pushing out, there in the snow was the green stuff again. I knew this time the green fluid could not have come from something I picked up from the road. Now when the truck in on level ground I can see nothing leaking from under the car, also there are not warning lights the have come on the on dash and the truck run just fine. The green fluid only seems to appear when either the tires are spinning or when the snow is touching the sub frame of the engine.

I was wondering if anyone had a clue what it might be? This fluid had to come from somewhere and it is now it's missing a lot of it. I want to take it to the dealer, but I would like some idea what it might be before I bring it in.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I am stumped ??? Maybe the strut is bad and leaking oil out of it :confused: Does anyone know what color the oil in the struts is?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
??? This is a new one for me; if it's possible; go get stuck in the snow and take some pics of the fluid :( Yeah I know that seems off, but it might help the service center to diagnose your leak

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
jsimms said:
??? This is a new one for me; if it's possible; go get stuck in the snow and take some pics of the fluid :( Yeah I know that seems off, but it might help the service center to diagnose your leak
It could be something that just doesn't give off an aroma when it's cold. You also could collect some of the green snow in a clean jar and take it with you to the service center. Be careful, though, you know what they say about colored snow!! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Yeah, I really don't know what fluid would be green.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
MichAcadia said:
First being a new member I am glad to see a forum where Acadia owner can go to appreciate their Acadia's. I have been lurking the topics in search of a problem that arose this past weekend. I couldn't find such a topic so I joined the club.

I got my 08 SLT-1 FWD Acadia stuck in a snow drift, due to my stupidity thinking I could make it though. Long story short it bottomed out and I was forced to dig the truck out with a shovel. As I was digging out I noticed a green fluid that had soaked the snow under the front scoop and behind the front right wheel area. I knew it couldn't be coolant because Dex Cool is red in color, or trans fluid its red, Engine oil its brown, break fluid also brown. I picked the green stuff up and felt it in my hand it was not slippery like oil and it had no smell. I wrote it off as it must have been something the under carriage picked up from the road. The next day I got the truck stuck in some deep soft snow and again in the process of pushing out, there in the snow was the green stuff again. I knew this time the green fluid could not have come from something I picked up from the road. Now when the truck in on level ground I can see nothing leaking from under the car, also there are not warning lights the have come on the on dash and the truck run just fine. The green fluid only seems to appear when either the tires are spinning or when the snow is touching the sub frame of the engine.

I was wondering if anyone had a clue what it might be? This fluid had to come from somewhere and it is now it's missing a lot of it. I want to take it to the dealer, but I would like some idea what it might be before I bring it in.

Thanks for any help.
this doesn't offer much assistance, but I wonder if this poster ever found out what it was, and if it could be related. You may want to send them a PM. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4871.0
whitemotel said:
hello guys...

a friend of mine changed his wifes oil for the first time...before he did that, he unscrewed the wrong drain plug..the plug he unscrewed had some type of compressed air coming out of it and some type of green liquid (possibly coolant), so he tighted it back up....does anybody know what this is?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
65 Posts
Only thing green that I can think of is the CV joints are packed with a green looking grease, but it should feel like grease. Or windsheild washer fluid, is usually blue, but you mix blue with yellow....

·
Registered
624 Posts
I believe you got an Acadia that was supposed to be exported to the planet Vulcan. Seriously....I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
What color is freon?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I don't think Freon in it's natural form has a color; unless color is added when it's bottled

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
jsimms said:
I don't think Freon in it's natural form has a color; unless color is added when it's bottled
What if there was a dye put in it a while back and the "leak" finally let loose? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
jsimms said:
It could be something that just doesn't give off an aroma when it's cold. You also could collect some of the green snow in a clean jar and take it with you to the service center[/color]. Be careful, though, you know what they say about colored snow!! ;D
I think this is the best idea; that way the service center has some idea of what's going on, this is definitely a strange one

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the Acadia into the dealer this afternoon to have the oil changed and have them hunt down the green leak. The service tech told me he could find no such leak; however, he said there is a green dye that is put into freon. He told me he checked the AC system and it is working fine. He couldn't explain how the green dye made it outside the system. I just hope the AC works this summer.

So note to all: Green fluid means a leak in the AC system.

Thanks for the your ideas into this subject. :)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Who would have thought; adding green dye to freon 8)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Now that the mystery has been cleared up, we can all sit back and relax and remember: Don't Eat Green Snow! :D

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Careful with the word "freon." What we know as such really isn't any more. R-12 got replaced by R-132 (don't hold me to the numbers) because of suspected damage to the ozone layer from chlofluorocarbons - a group of chemicals to which freon belongs. In other words, it's simpler to use the term "refridgerant" when discussing the A/C system.

Does anyone know what color compressor oil is these days? ???

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
speleos said:
Careful with the word "freon." What we know as such really isn't any more. R-12 got replaced by R-132 (don't hold me to the numbers) because of suspected damage to the ozone layer from chlofluorocarbons - a group of chemicals to which freon belongs. In other words, it's simpler to use the term "refridgerant" when discussing the A/C system.

Does anyone know what color compressor oil is these days? ???
speleos, thanks for being PC ;D :cheers: :beer:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
"Freon" is a trade name for a family of haloalkane refrigerants manufactured by DuPont and other companies. These refrigerants were commonly used due to their superior stability and safety properties: they were not flammable nor obviously toxic as were the fluids they replaced. Unfortunately, these chlorine-bearing refrigerants reach the upper atmosphere when they escape. In the stratosphere, CFCs break up due to UV-radiation, releasing their chlorine atoms. These chlorine atoms act as catalysts in the breakdown of ozone, which does severe damage to the ozone layer that shields the Earth's surface from the Sun's strong UV radiation. The chlorine will remain active as a catalyst until and unless it binds with another particle, forming a stable molecule. CFC refrigerants in common but receding usage include R-11 and R-12. Newer and more environmentally-safe refrigerants include HCFCs (R-22, used in most homes today) and HFCs (R-134a, used in most cars)[/color] have replaced most CFC use. HCFCs in turn are being phased out under the Montreal Protocol and replaced by hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), such as R-410A, which lack chlorine.

Newer refrigerants are currently the subject of research, such as supercritical carbon dioxide, known as R-744.[3] These have similar efficiencies compared to existing CFC and HFC based compounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor-compression_refrigeration

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
great research JS! sorry I didn't spell chlorofluorocarbon correctly in my post.

What ever happened to good ol' ammonia!!

BTW, volcanic eruptions and hydrothermal venting are also "major" contributors to chlorine and other halogens into upper reaches the atmosphere. I might be wrong but aren't CFC'c and the like a bit heavier than air? How does opening an A/C schrader valve, primping one's coiffure or spraying one's pits get these compounds so high up!? :blob:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't know if the real reason to change was the ozone. One of my Dad's companies makes air conditioners and his warehouse was constantly being broken into for the old freon. They would steal as much as they could. Unfortunately for them, 9 times out of 10 they would be found, mostly not breathing. Not sure what the other people used it for. Dad broke us from ever wanting to even think about sniffing by pouring freon over a rose and shattering it. Scarey stuff!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts