GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience filing a small claims lawsuit in Fairfax or Loudoun counties? I had an accident on 28 (fortunately, *not* in the family truckster) but the person who hit me is being difficult.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I thought insurance companies handled this type of thing for you.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
While some will, if it is property damage only, or if no police report was made/required, they won't. If someone dinged his fender or bumper, it may be less than his deductible and he may not want to file a claim.

Can't help you with VA, but have filed here in FL a few times & even gotten a judgment on a deadbeat from Michigan! A lot of red tape & time, but it paid off.

Glad to hear you're otherwise OK satyric.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
While some will, if it is property damage only, or if no police report was made/required, they won't. If someone dinged his fender or bumper, it may be less than his deductible and he may not want to file a claim.
That's exactly the situation. The estimates are pretty low (relatively) because the damage was minimal. The woman didn't want to get her insurance company involved so I tried to be a nice guy.

No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had a police officer who didn't want to write a report because he considered the damage "minor", even though our estimates ended up being $800. Press for a police report if you need to.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Always get a police report even if you plan to settle outside of insurance. Presumably you have her insurance info - I would contact them. There's no cheap body work these days so always keep that in mind. Good no injuries.

·
Registered
131 Posts
mikemu said:
Always get a police report even if you plan to settle outside of insurance. Presumably you have her insurance info - I would contact them. There's no cheap body work these days so always keep that in mind. Good no injuries.
Ditto - I learned the hard way trying to be the "nice guy" - didn't get a police report, couldn't get a dime from the guy that **rear-ended** me, and the damage was right at my deductible level - $500. So, my $500 lesson is to get a police report for every incident, regardless of how minor.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My incident was actually a hit & run, I led the police to his car and we had to pull him out of his Sunday afternoon Bible study to file a report. :police:
His response "I didn't think I hit you that hard, that's why I kept going". ???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mrvids said:
My incident was actually a hit & run, I led the police to his car and we had to pull him out of his Sunday afternoon Bible study to file a report. :police:
His response "I didn't think I hit you that hard, that's why I kept going".[/color] ???
Some people's kids ::)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
mrvids said:
His response "I didn't think I hit you that hard, that's why I kept going". ???
Hopefully they weren't studying Romans 13. Maybe they didn't get to that part yet. :angel:

When I worked patrol I was training a new trooper and we responded to a parking lot crash (the agency has since thankfully gotten away from these due to limited manpower). An older man and a younger girl were arguing about the crash and we couldn't get a word in.
:argue:
So like a domestic situation we had to split them up. I found out after doing so they hadn't even collided with each other!

I told the new trooper sometimes it seemed like we spent 75% of our time on crashes like these vs. the "gut busters" and fatalities. It seemed like there were always a lot more hard feelings on the minor ones than most major ones for some reason.

At the end of the day even with a police report (unless the officer witnessed it and can testify as to what happened), you would still need to sue/file against the other party to get compensated, since reports of that nature are generally "Driver 1 stated..." and "Driver 2 stated" (the officer's recounting of what they were told or saw, minor crashes will not be investigated to the same degree as more serious ones). You'd be better off documenting damage with a camera (cell or otherwise) and making sure you get the names & contact info of any independent witnesses. Laws/procedures/policies vary by state of course, so this is generic advice.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
My understanding from working in Fairfax County, is that Fairfax County only writes reports that occur on state maintained roadways and private prorperty if injuries occur or there is more then $1000.00 damage to atleast 1 vehicle, or it is a hit and run...

Reports are not written after both parties have left the scene and exchanged information.

At this point, you would have to contact your insurance company and give them the other persons information to followup... or contact find the person on your own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts