GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on purchasing an Acadia this Fall and trying to decide between the 7 and 8 passenger seating. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My main concern is the infant car seat that we have now. Does the Acadia come with the LATCH system for car seats and does anyone know that if it does, does the center seat in the 2nd row have it. We would like to place the infant seat in the middle so we can see and reach it easier.

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Middle seat in the third row does, both captain's chairs do (although I still use the seatbelts instead).

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the bench second row. I believe the LATCH is only available on the outboard seats. The middle is a little narrower. I am pretty sure you cannot use the LATCH system in the middle seat. Not sure on the 3rd row. We are using LATCH to hold our seat. I use the passenger side as I can turn from my driving position and easily see him and get him what he wants. GREAT car for kids!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 2nd row bench seat has 3 latches on the back of the seat. One for each seating position. The 3rd row seat has one in the middle only. If you want I can take a pic tomorrow and post. This is definitely the set up for the 8 passenger seating.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I have the bench in the second row.

The latch system is located along the whole second row.

To mount the seat in the middle you will need to attach one connector to the inner LATCH on the passenger sideand on coonector to the inner LATCH on the driver side.

By doing that though you lose ALL functionality of the Smartslide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
By the way, LATCH became standard government policy for all vehicles 2002 and up. Not all seats will have them, but most will.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NY_Joe said:
I have the bench in the second row.

The latch system is located along the whole second row.

To mount the seat in the middle you will need to attach one connector to the inner LATCH on the passenger sideand on coonector to the inner LATCH on the driver side.

By doing that though you lose ALL functionality of the Smartslide.
I had considered using the LATCH in the center with the two outbound connectors after reading the post above, but now that I see it will prevent the smartslide from working I am again torn. It seems that using a child seat on the either of the outside seats is the only option. This may be a good poll topic "Do you prefer the 7 or 8 passenger configuration?". Just my two cents.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The passenger side 2nd row is the narrower of the split bench. If you put the car seat there then 2/3 of the bench can still be folded down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my issue is that if I cannot have a car seat in the middle of the bench without negating the smartslide because you have to use the anchors all the way across and have to use one of the outbound positions that I might as well get the captains chairs and have access to the back seats more easily. I appreciate all of the responses, I went from the bench as my option to the captains chairs. My wife may not like the idea as much but any passengers should.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2008 SLT1 with second row captains chairs.

The LATCH cover for the head restraint doesn't close with the latch in it :banghead:. It's pretty annoying for the people in the 3rd row. I could cut out the little bit of molded plastic that is preventing it from closing, but you feel bad doing it to a new car.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here with the LATCH cover not closing. We decided to leave it open and hope no one breaks it off. So far, so good...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you complaining about the LATCH cover not closing, that would be like saying when I'm using my BBQ grill I can't put the cover on it. The cover is only there to make it look nice when it's not being used. I imagine that you can remove the cover easily if you are always using your car seat.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would have thought they could have made a cover that would accomodate the latch and still close. Just a little rise in the cover would make it possible to close with the clip attached. The metal belt clip is pretty thin. It will be easy to break off the cover with it just hanging there. No big deal though. My wife's Mazda is the same way. The cover will not close with the clip installed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think even my brother's Benz has the same thing, so if the Germans haven't thought of it how could GMC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doh!...The LATCH cover did break off :banghead: It is a really flimsy connection.

The LATCH Cover is designed to close when used. The problem is that that they screwed up the mold for the part leaving too much plastic where the hook goes. I will ask the dealer for a replacement and use a knife to trim the plastic so that it fits...

·
Registered
389 Posts
"(although I still use the seatbelts instead)."

I agree - just don't use latch. I am very good at installing with seatbelts. And, I have read there is conflicting evidence that the latch system is any better if the seatbelts are used correcty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
depends on the seat which is easier to install securely, latch or via belt... but there is NO evidence that latch in anyway makes a seat more secure than a belt... the idea for latch is simply to make things easier.

that said i find for my seat the belt method works easier for me to make it rock solid.

·
Registered
339 Posts
One of our car seats is a Britax. With the latch I can lock that baby down so that it can't budge at all. However, our other seat is an Alpha Omega, and I personally can't get the latch belts to tighten up at all (probably user error, but I like to say poor product design :beer:). So on that one, I use the regular seat belts and can get it locked down really tight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Kloogee said:
One of our car seats is a Britax. With the latch I can lock that baby down so that it can't budge at all. However, our other seat is an Alpha Omega, and I personally can't get the latch belts to tighten up at all (probably user error, but I like to say poor product design :beer:). So on that one, I use the regular seat belts and can get it locked down really tight.
Hmm I wonder why that is Kloogee? I have the Alpha Omega Elite car seat as well, and I find the only way to get a tight fit is to use LATCH. I connect the belts and kneel inside the seat while I pull the straps tight. The seat doesn't move at all.

I'm also using a seat protector underneath, and maybe that's helping a bit with any lateral movement?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts