GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer, while cleaning my 2019 Acadia, I noticed the rear moon roof shade was open. Thought that was funny as It's mostly my wife and I in the front. Then while cleaning the floor I found a small black rectangular piece of plastic about 1" x 3"X 1/4" with a slot in the middle of it. After cleaning I went to close the shade and found it wouldn't stay locked shut. That's when I realized it was for the shade latch. Also noted that some GM engineer decided to rivet the piece in place. Unfortunately the design of the piece break the retaining tabs when the rivets squeeze it.
Was able to drill out the rivets, use black trim screws (with collars) to secure the piece. saved a drive to the dealer and a few bucks (not counting waiting).

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
788 Posts
Nice save!! Hopefully this is help an angry Dad who’s kids break off the tab from playing with it! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I waited three months for the sunroof shade latch to come in. Set up an appointment to have the work done today. My surprise came after I was called to the cashier's window to pick up my car when I was informed that they wanted $96.00 for the replacement. I distinctly remember the service manager tell me that it was a warranty item. He said that he would never say that to me, or any other customer. Being the untrusting person I am because as a young person hearing President Reagan otter this old Russian saying "trust but verify". I record everything with the other person's knowledge (no hanky panky). Took my phone out of my pocket, launch the Cloud, and typed in the dealer's name. Boom, let us listen to this exchange between you and me. That is your voice, right? Am I mistaken, you are saying that this is a warranty item, Right? After some typing on the computer, he miraculously found a bulletin No. PIT5682A. Part number 84691055. He handed me my keys and I said thank you very much and walked out of the door. Folks thank you is very important no matter what the situation is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I waited three months for the sunroof shade latch to come in. Set up an appointment to have the work done today. My surprise came after I was called to the cashier's window to pick up my car when I was informed that they wanted $96.00 for the replacement. I distinctly remember the service manager tell me that it was a warranty item. He said that he would never say that to me, or any other customer. Being the untrusting person I am because as a young person hearing President Reagan otter this old Russian saying "trust but verify". I record everything with the other person's knowledge (no hanky panky). Took my phone out of my pocket, launch the Cloud, and typed in the dealer's name. Boom, let us listen to this exchange between you and me. That is your voice, right? Am I mistaken, you are saying that this is a warranty item, Right? After some typing on the computer, he miraculously found a bulletin No. PIT5682A. Part number 84691055. He handed me my keys and I said thank you very much and walked out of the door. Folks thank you is very important no matter what the situation is.
I know what you mean. My wife owned a 79 Dodge Dynasty LE, The "electric motor" for the power door locks went out. we had an extended warranty which covered the motor. The door mechanical lock and electric motor came as a unit. The repair order was written as replace "door lock assembly". It was quite a shock when I got the call that there was a $300 bill due. Fortunately I have a good relationship with the service write-up man. After some calls to the warranty people just the $100 deductible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This summer, while cleaning my 2019 Acadia, I noticed the rear moon roof shade was open. Thought that was funny as It's mostly my wife and I in the front. Then while cleaning the floor I found a small black rectangular piece of plastic about 1" x 3"X 1/4" with a slot in the middle of it. After cleaning I went to close the shade and found it wouldn't stay locked shut. That's when I realized it was for the shade latch. Also noted that some GM engineer decided to rivet the piece in place. Unfortunately the design of the piece break the retaining tabs when the rivets squeeze it.
Was able to drill out the rivets, use black trim screws (with collars) to secure the piece. saved a drive to the dealer and a few bucks (not counting waiting).
The rectangular latch on the rear sunroof broke on my 2019 Denali out of the blue. Took it to the dealership and they had the part in stock. During installation, the technician somehow shattered the rear sunroof. The dealership said that a new sunroof would have to be ordered from Canada. They quickly offered me a loaner, Terrain, and told me that they should have it repaired in about a week. I'm on day three without the Acadia and the Terrain is definitely not the same as the Acadia. Trying not to be too frustrated with the inconvenience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my Chevy Traverse. Probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I had ever opened the moon roof shade. Thanks for the tip. Going to fix it myself tomorrow. I'll bet this is a common occurance!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my Chevy Traverse. Probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I had ever opened the moon roof shade. Thanks for the tip. Going to fix it myself tomorrow. I'll bet this is a common occurance!
It is a common occurrence. Quite a few complaints about it actually. It seems kind of a flimsy latch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got it drilled out. No easy task especially so close to the glass. Not to find the correct screws. We’re you able to find sheet metal screws that will grab right on to the metal?

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
Got it drilled out. No easy task especially so close to the glass. Not to find the correct screws. We’re you able to find sheet metal screws that will grab right on to the metal?
Places like Lowes or Home Depot generally have huge selections of fasteners. You'll probably find what you need at one of those stores. Even most auto parts stores carry substantial fastener inventory. BTW, a fine thread self-tapping screw may be a better choice than a sheet metal screw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts