GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I’ve read several threads in this forum and I appreciate all the helpful information. I’ve learned a lot. Here’s my issue.

I’ve got a ‘07 Acadia, 3.6, and it has numerous electrical issues. (I purchased it this way.) The radio illumination works very rarely. When I open the doors after turning off the ignition the auxiliary power stays on as is the car doesn’t know the doors have been opened. My passenger side brake light stays illuminated while driving. The three small gauges on my instrument cluster have no backlighting. The lift gate won’t work. The heated seats used to work but now everything on that row of switches isn’t working.

There’s a harness right inside the dash on the drivers side (where normally a fuse box is) that if plugged up says the car isn’t in park. It also keeps the rear wiper constantly going. I have to unplug it to start the vehicle and leave it unplugged. The drivers side window control switch won’t work.

I know this sounds like a lot. Let me correct myself, I know this is a lot, but I was hoping that it could all lead to one thing. The drains were clogged on the sunroofs and had to be unclogged. Water used to literally pour down the pillars and the interior of the doors. The back door used to retain water.

Anybody got an idea where to start? I have disconnected all of the harnesses and sprayed them with electrical cleaner. Cleaned the grounds.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
That critter was rode hard and put in his stall wet. You need to start at the front of the vehicle and check(probably clean) every connection. Yes, that is a lot of work, but you vehicle has so many symptoms.

George

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
... There’s a harness right inside the dash on the drivers side (where normally a fuse box is) that if plugged up says the car isn’t in park. ...
WTH does this mean? The only thing there is the port to plug in an OBD scanner, or some aftermarket performance device.

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
Have you pulled and examined the fuse box in the dash on the passenger side? If contacts on that have been corroded, all kinds of issues can occur.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would pull and examine all fuse boxes . . underside connections to them, harness connectors, etc.
Check for corrosion as stated earlier. Also . . if it was in a hurricane area or severe storm. . . anything is possible.
P.S. That label in the picture you provided looks pretty wrinkled as if it had gotten wet at one time. That may be a hint. . . or maybe it just resided in a fairly humid climate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m taking an educated guess that at some point it was under water. The replies I’ve gotten and most recently the rust I noticed on the rails the seats slide on. My question now is... do I replace the harnesses or what? The car only has 160k on it and besides this issue is in immaculate shape. I only gave $1700 for it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
LOL, always have to laugh when someone says hey my car "only has" xxxxx miles on it. 160K is a lot of miles. I would compare it to my '84 Corvette with 38K miles.

It's not the rust you can see that gets you, it is the rust you cannot see.

If you have serious corrosion issues with the wiring, it is not just the wiring harness that would need to be replaced but many of the associated connectors as both sides of the connection will be corroded.

Trade in value of the car is about what you paid. Probably not worth any investment in time and money except maybe as a project vehicle.

Have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts