GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it about time GMC figured out that a keypad on the driver's side door would be a great addition?
Why is it designers/engineers and executives in general take so long to see the obvious?
Ford figured this out years ago. Keypads are a great feature. I guess you have to have had one before you really see how great they are.
And no I don't want to go and buy an aftermarket version and try to find some place that will install it.

And why don't they make the heads up display a lot larger?
And why can't they have an adjustable alert that goes off if I'm driving 10 mph over the speed limit for the road?
And why don't they make a hybrid model of the Acadia available? Don't give me BS about being unable to fit hybrid technology into a Llambda frame. If we can put a man on the moon.....you know the rest.
HELLO! IS ANYBODY LISTENING?!?!
:banghead:
That's my rant for the day. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
We have a vent topic for that; never had a keypad so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. What are the main functions of the keypad?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
<John McLaughlin>Video link

ISSUE NUMBER 1!:
The keypads I've seen on F**ds and Lincolns are used to unlock the door.
Why not just make use of the extended range remote? it does a lot more than any keypad, such as battery voltage, tire pressure, remote start while in a hot/cold place so the vehicle can be cooling/heating. Plus, it is a factory piece now for the low cost of $260 MSRP.

ISSUE NUMBER 2!:
The HUD is actually larger than the one I had on my '96 Bonneville SSEI and does a lot more stuff. As with any gizmo (try to input an address in the NAV while moving?), too much of anything is going to be litigated. There may have been a focus group (that included some GM lawyers) as to how large to make the display. Too large= vision obstruction, crash, and liability.

ISSUE NUMBER 3!:
Dunno. I recall something similar to this in the GM cars in the 60's that was manually set by the driver. Maybe they figure most will use cruise control on open roads, and getting an accurate speed limit input for local driving would be problematic (i.e. 45 drops to 35, then 25, then goes to 55 all within a mile). If what you're referring to is the vehicle knowing what the speed limit is and warning you when you speed, I put this in the same category as the automatic brakes Volvo is advertising for those that drive asleep at the wheel so they don't rear-end or hit anything. If you are referring to a manually set device, that is another thing.

NEXT ISSUE!:
Are hybrid trucks selling very well? The Acadia is a pig for weight as it stands. Adding batteries and electric motor(s) would only make things worse IMO. Then there is the cost to develop it, and the surcharge on the MSRP- the hybrid trucks are way more money than regular ones, and you don't get manufacturer incentives for them. From what I've seen on this forum, we have more people interested in adding forced induction for More Power than going green.

</John McLaughlin>Transcript
:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jsimms, the keypad is great because you can get into your car at times that you don't have your key or remote. Example: Your mowing the lawn. Your key/remote are in the house. You want to grab something out of your car. Just press the 5 numbers you programmed in it and BAM! the doors are open. Or maybe you just accidentally locked your key/remote in the car. Just press the numbers and WAM! problem solved. Or maybe I put my key/remote in my pocket before getting out of the car. After I get out all I do is press 2 numbers on the keypad and ZAM! the doors all lock. The keypad is a a real winner IMO. I guess other American manufacturers will wait until leaders like Toyota adopt this feature before they say, hmmmmm, maybe this is a feature we should offer.

Keypad: Mr "McLaughlin" see my examples above. They explain why using the remote doesn't always apply. Its just not always available. But sure, I use it when I have it on hand.

HUD: Big corporations are always threatened by litigation. Lets face it. Lawyers can sue a ham sandwich. The HUD can be done a lot better than whats currently offered. For me, bigger is better.

Speed Alerts: My portable Garmin nav tells my speed regardless of how fast or how slow I'm going. And these units are accurate to plus/minus 10 feet. So even a fast change from 55 to 45 to 35 within 1 mile could be handled. Just need to upload the posted speed limits into a database and have the nav program compare my speed to the speed stored in the database.

Hybrid: Cost is always an issue, but its not a limit. I would expect a hybrid to cost more. But once gas prices hit $4 again or people become more concerned about dependence on foreign countries or more concerned about the environment, there will be a big demand for hybrids again. With all the bailout money the American people pumped into GM, I don't think its unreasonable to request they do the required R&D and develop a hybrid. And it doesn't have to cost tons of money more than the standard low mileage CUV. With tax incentives/rebates and large scale production, costs for hybrids cost be very competitive. Just because there haven't been good incentives in the past doesn't mean they can't be improved. And the "more power" versus "better mileage" argument will be quickly resolved once gas prices go sky high again. Most people driving CUVs aren't hauling any trailers. Even occasionally. The folks that do haul or just want more power can certainly opt to buy non-hybrids.

Thanks for the replies.
As McLaughlin says, "Boye Boye"!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
It seems like the keypad is a convenience more than anything; I guess since I've never grown up with it I don't know what I'm missing. A hybrid Acadia? Unlikely

·
Registered
427 Posts
jsimms said:
It seems like the keypad is a convenience more than anything; I guess since I've never grown up with it I don't know what I'm missing. A hybrid Acadia? Unlikely
Eh, I've got one on my Fusion. Had it on my Freestyle too. I used it once, I think.

A feature that I, personally, never found all that useful. Others may, and that's great - it just doesn't fit with my usage model!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I remember back when I first heard of this; I think someone told me one of the reasons to install a keypad was so that people that had too many drinks :drunk: would have a tougher time getting into the car and possibly not be able to drive because they couldn't enter the vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I guess as much as I like gadgets & technology, I'm old school in the respect that I just would not put much faith in a device to beep when I was speeding1. What happens when you are on vacation and Podunk USA lowered the speed limit last month to make some money for their school system? Ditto you're on a newly constructed road that isn't in the database yet, or one that somehow never made it into the database? As an aside, my kid thought it was neat when we were driving the Acadia on a new road and it showed us driving across a field on the nav :). We have the voice prompts on our nav turned off- one of those things that are neat until you start using them, then they can get irritating. I remember when I bought my BMW wagon, the guy had a nav on the windshield & we had to find a bank. I thought it was weird that he had it muted, but now that I've used a portable one and have factory GM/Dodge and Pioneer units in 3 different vehicles, I can understand it.

As I recall from owning one, F**d had a neat feature on the original rebodied Falcon (some call it a Mustang ;)) in that you couldn't lock the key in the car.

As far as gas prices go, it may hit $10/gallon and I'll still have my fleet of V8 powered cars, plus my turbo 4 cylinder Dodge for the fuel economy. 4 of the V8 cars are my kind of "hybrid" due to the fact the Japanese or German Rotary or 6 cylinder motor has been replaced with a Chevy V8! We by choice live in a rural are where it is 30 miles to anywhere, so an alternative fuel or electric vehicle would be of little value unless it had a range similar to that of the gasoline powered Acadia.

I found some interesting reading about Hybrid electric vehicles in a university paper here, both pro and con:
Hybrid electric vehicles from WVU.edu

Same thing at a Science/Physics/Tech place here:
Hybrid Cars -- Pros and Cons
A Hummer That Gets 100 MPG?
The price hasn't been set, but it is estimated that the hybrid engine alone is likely to add between $15,000 and $20,000 to whatever the base price ends up being. Obviously, it will be up to incentives and tax breaks[/color] for energy efficient vehicles to bring the electric Hummer's price down to something that is more generally affordable.
Hey, there's yet another application of the IRS tax code to get us to live our lives a certain way or to get us to buy something we normally wouldn't! :mad:

I'm not dismissing hybrids, but to me it seems logical that they won't do well until they can offer similar driveability and cost to the average car buyer. As of right now, even with leveraging of the tax code, they can't.

Speaking of mowing the lawn, I have to move my '65 Corvair each time I mow to get the mower out of the garage. When I do so, I'm amazed at the useful technology/progress that's been made in automobiles in the past 44 years like electronic fuel injection that allows cars to start right up after sitting a while.

I'd sum up the situation by adding as the saying goes, you (GM or whomever is making a product) will never please all the people all the time.

1 When I thought about this concept, I was reminded of Florida Statute 316.1906. It prohibits law enforcement from using a speed measuring device that in effect beeps at traffic over a certain speed. We were taught at the academy that this was to prevent a cop from doing something else and when the speed measuring device beeped "looking up" and citing the wrong vehicle. Here is the relevant text of the law:
316.1906 Radar speed-measuring devices; evidence, admissibility.
(b) "Audio warning tone" refers to an auxiliary radar device which alerts the operator, by means of an audible tone, to the presence of a speed registration above a preset level[/color].
(2) Evidence of the speed of a vehicle measured by any radar speed-measuring device shall be inadmissible in any proceeding with respect to an alleged violation of provisions of law regulating the lawful speed of vehicles, unless such evidence of speed is obtained by an officer who:
(d) Is using radar which has no automatic speed locks and no audio alarms, unless disconnected or deactivated[/color].

·
Registered
1 Posts
For my everyday car I always had GMs in 70s, 80, & 90s and never realized how great the keypad was until 2000 with my 1st Navigator and till this year my everyday car was a Ford product, now I don't miss Ford but I do miss the keypad.

Moderator edit
Case changed from all caps for legibility.[/color]

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
"And why can't they have an adjustable alert that goes off if I'm driving 10 mph over the speed limit for the road?"

I had one of these on my first car - a '61 Buick LeSabre - didn't like it then and probably won't ever want one, again. :mad:

The Buick had a pretty cool, adjustable speedo display based on a pivoting mirror. It was the predecessor of the HUD, I guess. ::)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I couldn't agree more...I drove an Expedition (3 of them) for the past twelve years. I MISS THE KEYPAD!!!! My mom could grab a chair or anything for that matter out of my car at the ballpark...did not need my keys to get into it...my kids could access the car for their gear...did not need to have the keys....why don't the other manufacturers open their eyes to a really great convenience feature!??

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
PerfectCUV said:
Isn't it about time GMC figured out that a keypad on the driver's side door would be a great addition?
Why is it designers/engineers and executives in general take so long to see the obvious?
Ford figured this out years ago. Keypads are a great feature. I guess you have to have had one before you really see how great they are.
And no I don't want to go and buy an aftermarket version and try to find some place that will install it.

And why don't they make the heads up display a lot larger?
And why can't they have an adjustable alert that goes off if I'm driving 10 mph over the speed limit for the road?
And why don't they make a hybrid model of the Acadia available? Don't give me BS about being unable to fit hybrid technology into a Llambda frame. If we can put a man on the moon.....you know the rest.
HELLO! IS ANYBODY LISTENING?!?!
:banghead:
That's my rant for the day. Thanks for reading.
I had the keypad on my Mountaineer - never used it and never cared for the look of it. FOB works fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree, once you have used the Keypad you really miss it!! You would think GMC would figure that out!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts