GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a message to change the battery in my key fob. I changed it and then not only doesn't the fob I replaced the battery in not work neither does the spare. I used the key to open the door and the horn started beeping. I put the fob in the pocket and was able to start the car. When I took the fob out of the pocket it said no fob detected. I can't open the doors or lock them with the fob. Any suggestions? TY in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to watch this thread since my wife's fob needs new battery and is using her spare. Can't have any issues when we replace the battery on the one she had been using.
Make sure you try the spare fob and that it works before replacing the battery on the original. How did you know that the battery needed replacing?

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Make sure you try the spare fob and that it works before replacing the battery on the original. How did you know that the battery needed replacing?
Good advice. (y) It might also be helpful to keep all fobs out of range to the vehicle (>9 ft.) when changing the battery for any fob. These fobs transmit vehicle information all the time. that info gets read by the vehicle whenever you get any closer to it. It could possibly scramble memorization presets. Maybe resetting the vehicle to factory defaults and starting the Driver 1, Driver 2, etc. memory process over again will help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice. (y) It might also be helpful to keep all fobs out of range to the vehicle (>9 ft.) when changing any fob battery. These fobs transmitvehicle information whenever you get any closer to it.
I replaced the battery in the house 40 feet away at least. Still doesn't explain why the spare won't work....

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
I replaced the battery in the house 40 feet away at least. Still doesn't explain why the spare won't work....
Where was the 'spare' when you did that?

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Upstairs about 20 feet away from the one used daily.
Maybe resetting the vehicle and both fobs to factory defaults and starting the Driver 1, Driver 2, etc. memory process over again will help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe resetting the vehicle and both fobs to factory defaults and starting the Driver 1, Driver 2, etc. memory process over again will help.
I may try this after I disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes, thanks. Although it does recognize driver 1 and driver 2 remotes when they are put in the "pocket" to start the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She said the DIC was flashing needing battery replaced. I not sure the actual wording since I didn't go look at it. Our spare works fine.
My dash had a message periodically for about 2 weeks that said; Replace low battery in fob. So I did and when I checked the voltage on the original fob CR 2032 Battery it was 3.04 volts. The battery I replaced it with was 3.30 volts. I don't get why the spare got messed up too. I'm hesitant to try and reprogram both fobs. The car is under extended warrenty and I made an appointment for Sept. 12th.

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
... The car is under extended warrenty and I made an appointment for Sept. 12th.
Check the warranty's exclusions so you're not too disappointed on the service aisle. Some repairs like that won't be covered by an extended service plan.

Reactions: GreenfieldDan

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
.... I'm hesitant to try and reprogram both fobs. ...
It wouldn't be anything like programming a brand new fob to the vehicle. What you'd be doing is more like setting up the fobs right after you took delivery of the vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and then reset everything to the Factory Defaults, still no luck. What I don't get is why, when I open the door with the key and the horn starts to beep I put the fob in the pocket the car starts and then the message I get is; No Fob Detected. But the car starts anyway and is driveable?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and then reset everything to the Factory Defaults, still no luck. What I don't get is why, when I open the door with the key and the horn starts to beep I put the fob in the pocket the car starts and then the message I get is; No Fob Detected. But the car starts anyway and is driveable?
Just thinking out loud. . . but maybe the message about the " change battery " was a symptom and not the issue.
If the RKE receiver ( or the antenna for it ) is faulty, the key fob signal may not have been received when in proximity to the Acadia. That might explain why the other key fob also didn't work.

As I understand it, placing the fob in the the pocket is an alternative way to get the engine started and on your way should the RKE/fob not be functioning.

It seems like a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Just for an FYI in case you want to check . . . This is where the RKE antenna is located under the rear and behind the rear bummer. It is pop riveted to the plastic there. But a new one can be purchased and replaced if needed. I wouldn't unless the is verified to be the problem.
But the wire and connector to the antenna could be checked for damage or corrosion.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive mirror
* Click On Picture To Enlarge *

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just thinking out loud. . . but maybe the message about the " change battery " was a symptom and not the issue.
If the RKE receiver ( or the antenna for it ) is faulty, the key fob signal may not have been received when in proximity to the Acadia. That might explain why the other key fob also didn't work.

As I understand it, placing the fob in the the pocket is an alternative way to get the engine started and on your way should the RKE/fob not be functioning.

It seems like a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Just for an FYI in case you want to check . . . This is where the RKE antenna is located under the rear and behind the rear bummer. It is pop riveted to the plastic there. But a new one can be purchased and replaced if needed. I wouldn't unless the is verified to be the problem.
But the wire and connector to the antenna could be checked for damage or corrosion.

View attachment 12250 * Click On Picture To Enlarge *
I think this is more likely the problem because it makes sense out of something that doesn't. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
FYI, the passive proximity (RKE) antenna is not unique to the rear bumper. There's at least one in the front bumper, all four doors, and the ignition system depending on vehicle options. Any of those could be troublesome. The MDI scan system should be able to isolate which one (or more) may be defective.

The 2nd Gen (C1XX platform ) RKE system also has two separate receivers - a typical RCDLR receives signals from the fob's push buttons and the second (proximity) receiver gets signal for the outside door lock buttons and hands-free liftgate, possibly some ignition functions and others, too. The proximity receiver could also be causing this problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI, the passive proximity (RKE) antenna is not unique to the rear bumper. There's at least one in the front bumper, all four doors, and the ignition system depending on vehicle options. Any of those could be troublesome. The MDI scan system should be able to isolate which one (or more) may be defective.

The 2nd Gen (C1XX platform ) RKE system also has two separate receivers - a typical RCDLR receives signals from the fob's push buttons and the second (proximity) receiver gets signal for the outside door lock buttons and hands-free liftgate, possibly some ignition functions and others, too. The proximity receiver could also be causing this problem.
Good thing I have a service appointment scheduled.o_O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts