GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife said she's having problems with the remote start. Sometimes it won't work, and when it does, she has to be real close to it, like 5 ft. Also, when she uses the key to start it, alot of times it just makes a "clicking" noise and won't start. Have to keep turning the key on and off and then eventually it will start.

Anyone else with these problems?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Moved to problems section for more exposure.

The initial question is the battery in the remote. You have a 2008, supposedly the batteries are good for up to 2 years, but as with anything your mileage may vary. The first thing to do is to put a fresh battery in there and retry it.

I had a similar problem (range) with my '95 Trans Am and have traced the problem to the keyless entry receiver.

If the new battery does not do the trick, you will need the dealer to evaluate it.

As for the clicking when using the key, this sounds like an ignition switch. I know the Acadia works differently than other vehicles I'm used to in that you only need to turn the key to start and the starter runs until the motor starts. It could be a safety switch of some sort also. Again, more than likely a dealer item to be repaired. Intermittent electrical problems are among the worst to repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pardon me for a simplistic suggestion. What happens when the second key is used? If it works fine, I would suspect the wife’s key is faulty and may need to be replaced as it doesn't work in the ignition. I can't see how a bad battery would affect the failure in the ignition.
If the key has lost it programming, are we dealing with a warranty issue?
Hope I am not too far out, just trying to tie all the problems together.
BD

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Pardon me for a simplistic suggestion. What happens when the second key is used? If it works fine, I would suspect the wife’s key is faulty and may need to be replaced as it doesn't work in the ignition. I can't see how a bad battery would affect the failure in the ignition.
If the key has lost it programming, are we dealing with a warranty issue?
Hope I am not too far out, just trying to tie all the problems together.
BD
I don't think blue is saying the remote battery is causing the starter problems. I believe he is trying to say that they are possibly and probably 2 seperate problems.
If the key turns the tumbler in the ignition then the key is probably not the problem, so I would imagine the 2nd key wouldn't make a difference, the iginition itself would be the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've tried the other key and it still does it sometimes. I'm not trying to fix this myself, we'll take it in for warranty. I was just curious if this was a common problem.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Checked back through the TSB list, found these.

08-08-52-003A APR 08 Keyless Entry/Starting - Poor/Short Remote Range
08-08-52-002 FEB 08 Remote Starting System - System Inoperative Diagnostics
08-08-52-001A FEB 08 Keyless Entry - Intermittent Operation/Inoperative

Don't know that they will apply, but they should give the service department some assistance with the problem. Could be as simple as the receiver or antenna getting interference or being crossed with other wires blocking its reception.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks for the links Bonk.
5 more to go, eh?

OK, now that the keyless/starter issues have been resolved to the dealer, how about some pictures of the 496 big block! We have an Off-Topic section here where some tend to obsess to excess about their other vehicles.

:hijacked: <--- If only he didn't have that info in his signature! :eek:hno:
550/550 are pretty decent numbers, NA I am figuring? My LT4 spec 383 made 498/579 (at the wheels) when I first added a rear mount turbo. I like Chevy truck motors (Gen 3) so much I put one each in a Toyota, Mazda, and BMW!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It sounds like there was a problem with this keyless unit....but here's a little trick to use to extend the range of your key-fob most any time. It sounds like voodo...but it works.

Hold the key-fob so it just touches under your chin and press the button. It uses your body as part of the antenna and can extend the range 2-5 times the normal working range. It may look silly, but it helps find the car in a mall parkling lot. It also can give you more time to change a battery that is wearing out.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I can't wait to try this voodoo!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw this on one of the shows we watch- maybe NCIS or one of the CSI shows. I'll wait for Mythbusters to test it. :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I was thinking about people watching me hold my mouth open while pressing my key-less held to my chin and it made me LOL!! Too Funny!!!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GAR said:
I was thinking about people watching me hold my mouth open while pressing my key-less held to my chin and it made me LOL!! Too Funny!!!
:tard: :eek:hno: :sosad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great finding this thread. I have been having problems with mine also. We tried the second remote thinking it was just the batteries but it would not work either. It is like it works when it wants to and other times not :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was having range problems with my remote, in particular with the starter button, not so much with the door lock buttons. When it was new it was good for 200ft or so. But it was getting down to about 20ft.

So I replaced the battery and this do not help at all.

While I had it taken apart I noticed that there was some kind of oil on the contact points under the buttons (you have to take the rubber part off the circuit board, it comes off easily).
I further noticed that there was oil on the lock button contact points and none on the starter button contact point. Wondering of this oil was there to aid electrical connectivity, I added an extremely thin film a oil to the starter button area, put it back together, and it now works much better. Range is back to 100ft.

Try it, it works.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have similar intermittent problems with both of the remotes for our 2007 Acadia. I replaced the batteries in my remotes and it made no change. I suspect I have a poor connection or interference, possibly related to the TSB mentioned in this thread. If I can find a cause, I will let you know the solution.

Does anyone know where I can locate the keyless remote module to verify if there is a connection problem with the connector?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts