GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Key Pricing

We're missing one of our keys for our 2017 Denali. I called the dealer and they quoted $362 for a replacement including programming and cutting the new key. I tried a locksmith and they were lots better at $160. Any other places I can look for a bit more savings? Does anyone have instructions to program the key myself if I get all the parts?

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have my key fob that is missing buttons so I was looking for replacement. Can't I just buy the fob and switch out the key and anything else to the new fob no programming/key cutting needed??
I always wondered what the cost of the fob was and how much to get it cut.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Den
I have my key fob that is missing buttons so I was looking for replacement. Can't I just buy the fob and switch out the key and anything else to the new fob no programming/key cutting needed??
Unsure if it's possible with the newer FOB's, my money says yes. I did exactly that with my 04Z, just bought essentially a shell, and swapped in the existing guts.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
Three ways to find definitive answers to this - the owner's manual, the dealer, and a qualified locksmith. I wouldn't go by mere speculation.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Den

Unsure if it's possible with the newer FOB's, my money says yes. I did exactly that with my 04Z, just bought essentially a shell, and swapped in the existing guts.
I have not done the swap with an automobile remote, but have done it with my security remote. As long as the electronics are good and all you are swapping is the shell, you should be good.

George

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Three ways to find definitive answers to this - the owner's manual, the dealer, and a qualified locksmith. I wouldn't go by mere speculation.
Perhaps... but, the manual will not explain how to swap FOB guts or state if it's possible, the dealer is likely the same (GM wants to sell you a new FOB), and a locksmith would be similar. All just my opinion. The best place to see if this would work IMO is a site such as this one righty here. (y)
Hopefully someone with experience chimes in. That said, I am very surprised a 2017 FOB has worn out!

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
... I am very surprised a 2017 FOB has worn out!
Me, too! I'm still using the same fob from day 1 back in '07. It took ~9 years for the first symbol to wear off (it was unlock). My spare fob sits in a dresser drawer and looks brand new.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
Perhaps... but, the manual will not explain how to swap FOB guts or state if it's possible, the dealer is likely the same (GM wants to sell you a new FOB), and a locksmith would be similar.
The real trick is finding just the shell. I couldn't locate any for the newer RKE fob on the 'net.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Perhaps... but, the manual will not explain how to swap FOB guts or state if it's possible, the dealer is likely the same (GM wants to sell you a new FOB), and a locksmith would be similar. All just my opinion. The best place to see if this would work IMO is a site such as this one righty here. (y)
Hopefully someone with experience chimes in. That said, I am very surprised a 2017 FOB has worn out!
He did not say that it was worn out, just that buttons were missing. That was most likely caused by dropping or something like that.

George

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
He did not say that it was worn out, just that buttons were missing. That was most likely caused by dropping or something like that.
Maybe it got mauled in their Maytag. LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I went to the dealer and was quoted $120 for the fob alone. I got on Ebay and ordered a new fob $20 and swapped out the internals from my existing fob (chip and Key). Works like a charm
Just was looking to see if someone had done this before.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
So I went to the dealer and was quoted $120 for the fob alone. I got on Ebay and ordered a new fob $20 and swapped out the internals from my existing fob (chip and Key). Works like a charm
You could have just programmed the new fob yourself if the old fob was still working (programmed) and avoided all the swap work. There are instructions about how to do it in your owners manual. You would have also needed to have your spare fob available, though.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yep, per post #6, but on my 04 Z06. No reason these FOB's should be a problem.
Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You could have just programmed the new fob yourself if the old fob was still working (programmed) and avoided all the swap work. There are instructions about how to do it in your owners manual. You would have also needed to have your spare fob available, though.
I got an aftermarket fob that didn’t have the GMC logo on it so that was why I switched the internals and the back of the orig fob

·
Registered
2018 Acadia - Burgundy, 2 Row All Terrain
37 Posts
I got my OEM blank key from GM Parts Prime - Discount Genuine GM Parts and Accessories and had a locksmith cut it. I did not need programming.
I tried to contact gmpartsprime to get some questions answered but the indicated that they had no one on their staff that could answer and product related questions. I have a 2018 V6 AWD Acadia. Maybe you can answer my questions: You indicated you did not need programming: were you able to program the FOB yourself using the On board Program feature? Did the FOB come with a blank key?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've found these instructions for FOB Programming. I've never tired them though.

Programming with Recognized Transmitters
A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters. To program, the vehicle must be off and all of the transmitters, both currently recognized and new, must be with you.

1. Place the two recognized transmitters in the cup holder.
2. Remove the key lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle. Insert the vehicle key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the driver door handle and turn the key, counterclockwise, to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.

The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays READY FOR REMOTE #2, 3, 4, ETC.

3. Place the new transmitter into the transmitter pocket. The transmitter pocket is inside the center console storage area between the driver and front passenger seats.
4. Press ENGINE START/STOP. When the transmitter is learned the DIC display will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
5. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the transmitter UNLOCK or LOCK button. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 3–5. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold ENGINE START/STOP for 12 seconds to exit programming mode.
6. Put the key back into the transmitter.

Programming without Recognized Transmitters
If two currently recognized transmitters are not available, follow this procedure to program up to eight transmitters. This feature is not available in Canada. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The vehicle must be off and all of the
transmitters you wish to program must be with you.

1. Remove the key lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle. Insert the vehicle key of the transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the driver door handle and turn the key, counterclockwise, to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.
The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
2. Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS ENGINE START BUTTON TO LEARN and then press ENGINE START/STOP.
The DIC display will again show REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
3. Repeat Step 2 two additional times. After the third time all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps.

The DIC display should now show READY FOR REMOTE # 1.

4. Place the new transmitter into the transmitter pocket. The transmitter pocket is inside the center console storage area between the driver and front passenger seats.
5. Press ENGINE START/STOP. When the transmitter is learned the DIC display will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
6. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the transmitter UNLOCK or LOCK button. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 4–6. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold ENGINE START/STOP for 12 seconds to exit programming mode.
7. Put the key back into the transmitter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts