GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
recently i have purchased kenwood ddx 8019 and GPS hardware and i am intending to install it in my acadia however since i haven't received these equipment yet i was wondering first, does it fits perfectly in the 2008 acadia? secondly does the warranty void if i install third party hardware as it involves electrical connection?
i know it's too late to ask these question now since i already have bought the stuff but i wasn't aware of that as the good deal blinded me.
thanks for all your feedback.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The kenwood you purchased is a double din unit and should fit the factory opening. You need to use a mounting bracket (i'm not sure if your receiver package includes this) to ensure a good fit into the factory location. I don't think warranty is voided with an aftermarket installation. However, if the electrical connections of the aftermarket install was deemed to be the cause of whatever issue that needs (warranty) service... i think it's at the dealership's discretion to accept it or not.
If you are concerned about this, you have to have your unit installed by a professional at a shop. They usually have insurance to cover for whatever issues thay may arise due to the install. I had a vehicle before that I brought to a shop for an install, something went wrong...error warnings all over the dash, vehicle will prompt an error when shift to D, etc...it was towed to the dealership and was only able to recover it after 30 days. If I did the install myself, it would have cost me $2k+ for repair and replacement of a fried computer chip and some electrical shorts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your feedback, i have contacted GM and bad news, they told me if i do any electrical modification such installing aftermarket stereo, will void the warranty permanently on any electrical problems that i may have in the future :-[
i am still debating since i already purchased the equipment.

·
Registered
730 Posts
sami3000 said:
thanks for your feedback, i have contacted GM and bad news, they told me if i do any electrical modification such installing aftermarket stereo, will void the warranty permanently on any electrical problems that i may have in the future :-[
i don't know about that.... ???
so, they are saying that if your right tail light shorted out and catches fire, it is the fault of your new receiver? ::) well then, it is :bs:

i am still debating since i already purchased the equipment.
sorry to hear that you already have the equipment and don't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
sami3000 - See this thread http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4675.0

I don't think GM can void the warranty just because you have aftermarket parts. But if the aftermarket parts and/or installation causes the failure, then they do not need to cover it under warranty.

One thing to think about is to have it professionally installed by a shop that has insurance. If you mess something up, it could cost you thousands of dollars to repair. If they mess it up, then their insurance would cover it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My brother used to own an aftermarket accessories shop and was asked this many times. I don't remember where I found the law but US law states that a Vehicle Man. can't void a waranty based on the installation of aftermarket parts. The service dept. must prove that the part caused a failure in the vehicle and can choose not the fix it under warranty. In most cases I have seen dealers are willing to fix problems even if it is caused by an aftermarket part. I think if you go to hypertechs website they may have parts of this law under their FAQ. Also, dealers regularly install aftermarket radios so I don't see how they could void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I don't know if all dealers will do this, but my dealer will install any aftermarket part I bring in. I just need to pay the labor. Then if they cause the problem, they cover it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for your feedback, my findings was based on phone conversation with the dealer, i think i will drop in and ask for more clarification, my only hope is that the guy i spoke with doesn't know what he was saying.
it's :bs: if what he said is true. but i will not give up that easy as i have paid extra to have extended warranty.
by the way i did ask if they install it under my expense, but he said i t's not possible.
it seems i have got myself one sweet dealer :banghead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts