GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Acadia Denali. Recently, I lost my key fob and it was a nightmare because I was out of state and didn't have a spare key. It took several days to get a new key fob made and programmed by a dealer in the area. Is there any way to keep a spare key fob inside the car? I can use my phone to unlock the car and gain access to the spare fob. Problem is, if I leave a spare key fob inside the car, it disables remote start and the horn will beep every time I lock the doors with my main fob. Is there a "safe place" to store the spare fob inside the car that won't disable remote start? If I remove the battery from the fob, will that make the fob undetectable?

·
Registered
401 Posts
You’re probably safe now. How many key Fobs will you lose in your lifetime?

And how did you lose it?

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
... Is there a "safe place" to store the spare fob inside the car that won't disable remote start? If I remove the battery from the fob, will that make the fob undetectable?
There's probably not a "safe place" to store an active fob in the car. From things read about keyless ignition systems, an active fob in the car keeps the BCM in a "ready state" waiting for a command from the start button (sounds like a car battery drain to me!). Removing the spare fob's battery and putting both fob and battery in your favorite hiding spot is likely your best bet.

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
:welcome: to the forum, BTW.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There is one way to do it, that I use when I travel up north for the summer. I go up to NH for 3 months every summer, and don't want to be w/o the extra FOB, in case something happens to FOB #1. I have the extra FOB in my laptop case, and of course the vehicle didn't appreciate me trying to lock a FOB in the vehicle. On a whim, I just wrapped it really good in tin foil, and the vehicle doesn't seem to know its there anymore.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is one way to do it, that I use when I travel up north for the summer. I go up to NH for 3 months every summer, and don't want to be w/o the extra FOB, in case something happens to FOB #1. I have the extra FOB in my laptop case, and of course the vehicle didn't appreciate me trying to lock a FOB in the vehicle. On a whim, I just wrapped it really good in tin foil, and the vehicle doesn't seem to know its there anymore.
Sounds legit. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another vote for foil wrapped. You can also buy a foil lined bag to place the FOB in and this bag blocks the FOB's signals. Our toll transponders can be placed in these bags so you are not double charged if paying cash and it works like a champ. My state sends these bags for free if you ask and perhaps your state may as well. Worth a shot to check on a freebie.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
You can wrap your fob in one of those bags- or wrapped in aluminum foil to create a faraday cage.
if you have a hitch- get a hitch safe.
Keep it stored in there. I put mine in a plastic bag.
then I put the cover over it.

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
The new fobs are still transmitting a signal. How long will the fob battery last if the fob is just wrapped, or put in a bag, and stashed somewhere in the car? :shrug: The old style fobs aren't active until a button is pressed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The new fobs are still transmitting a signal. How long will the fob battery last if the fob is just wrapped, or put in a bag, and stashed somewhere in the car? :shrug: The old style fobs aren't active until a button is pressed.
I've had 5 vehicles with keyless entry & drive systems since 2008, and have never had to replace a FOB battery in any of them. I'm on vehicles 4&5 now, and the longest tenure for any of those five vehicles was 5+ years for an '08 Vette. Battery life for the newer FOBS isn't high on my worry list.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I've had 5 vehicles with keyless entry & drive systems since 2008, and have never had to replace a FOB battery in any of them. I'm on vehicles 4&5 now, and the longest tenure for any of those five vehicles was 5+ years for an '08 Vette. Battery life for the newer FOBS isn't high on my worry list.
If it's anything like my '14 CTS, it flashes a message when it detects the fob battery is low.

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
If it's anything like my '14 CTS, it flashes a message when it detects the fob battery is low.
Guess you wouldn't know until you lost the primary fob, then unwrapped the stashed fob and tried to use it. :shrug:

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Thats a message Ive never seen on the Traverse..... anyone else on the Acadias?
Its in the manual...

REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY --This message displays if a Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter battery is low. The battery needs to be replaced in the transmitter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Guess you wouldn't know until you lost the primary fob, then unwrapped the stashed fob and tried to use it. :shrug:

You know it really isn't that hard to keep an extra 2032 battery in the glove compartment, or console. They don't take up much room at all. Why you seem obsessed about battery life in these newer fobs is a mystery to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
You know it really isn't that hard to keep an extra 2032 battery in the glove compartment, or console. They don't take up much room at all. Why you seem obsessed about battery life in these newer fobs is a mystery to me.
Why you're so obsessed with my comments to others mystifies me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The FOB's are not transmitting all the time, they have an RFID type chip that reacts to the car transmitting to them then it signals back. Wrap it in foil and stash wherever you want then forget about it. Throw in a spare 2032 battery if you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which key fob battery will die first the one wrapped in foil but otherwise not being used or the one that's being used daily to unlock and lock doors, remote starting and opening the rear hatch. When the battery in the fob being used dies just replace it and then start using the other one. Why switch fobs, because that way you know the spare fob should have a higher charge and the one being used will die first. What's the point of a backup if it goes bad first? Either that or replace both batteries at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
21,114 Posts
The FOB's are not transmitting all the time, they have an RFID type chip that reacts to the car transmitting to them then it signals back.
That makes sense. I'm guessing they've changed the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) into a remote control door lock receiver/transmitter (would that make it an RCDLR/T? ;) ), unless they're using the TPMS transmitter, or something totally new, for communication to 'wake up' the fob. If you're aware of the technology behind it, please let the forum know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nothing direct but it made sense to me that they were using RFID and I found this link:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/going-keyless.html

From the 2nd comment:

"No doubt the key fob uses RFID and only responds to a RFID reader (the vehicle) but it will activate when it receives a signal from the vehicle ... or any other device on the same frequency (including other cars). It also seems clear that the car has to be broadcasting continuously in order to "know" that the fob is present."

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as the FOB and computer continuing to communicate I don't believe so. Not sure but my understanding is that it is only needed for starting. If the computer had to continue receiving a signal while driving what would happen if the battery died while driving. I have actually heard that keyless ignition vehicles will continue to drive even if you leave the fob behind but you wont be able to restart if you shut it off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts