GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are interested in buying two to four single kayaks for the family to use (looking at the Old Town Loon or Otter model right now). We would like to move them around on top of the Acadia. Anyone out there figure out how best to accomplish this? Can you give me info on where you got the car top carrier and how easy was it to install? We don't have the cross bars on the roof rack yet, but can get them from the dealer.[/color]

·
Registered
487 Posts
I saw an Acadia the other day with 3 on top in Colorado. I would suggest actually getting either a yakima or thule rack to carry them. When I say rack I mean the Yakima or Thule crossbars as well. I believe that the standard crossbars may be a little weak when you get 2-4 kayaks going down the road. I know both Thule and Yakima make long bars that enable you to carry a lot of stuff on the top of your car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
coloradoGM said:
I saw an Acadia the other day with 3 on top in Colorado. I would suggest actually getting either a yakima or thule rack to carry them. When I say rack I mean the Yakima or Thule crossbars as well. I believe that the standard crossbars may be a little weak when you get 2-4 kayaks going down the road. I know both Thule and Yakima make long bars that enable you to carry a lot of stuff on the top of your car.
I couldn't agree more. I'm using the factory crossbars for 2 kayaks with a Thule 580 Stacker, and would not do more than 2 without feeling a bit sheepish!

For what it's worth, as for the kayaks ... check out the Wilderness Pungo 100. It's a great 10' kayak that's great for the whole family and not as tippy as the Old Town or Otter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the input you two. I'll definitely go with Thule crossbars rather than the GMC ones. We hope to eventually have four kayaks. Since you've put two up there, do you think two more might fit with a rig like the Thule stacker?

We have looked and are looking at the wilderness pungo, also the perception prodigy. We used wilderness critters recently and really liked them, but I don't think they are still being made. I appreciate the input.

One other question I have that you might be able to answer is where did you attach the tie downs below the vehicle? There does not appear to be many good spots. We don't have the tow package.

·
Registered
59 Posts
dinny said:
Hey thanks for the input you two. I'll definitely go with Thule crossbars rather than the GMC ones. We hope to eventually have four kayaks. Since you've put two up there, do you think two more might fit with a rig like the Thule stacker?

We have looked and are looking at the wilderness pungo, also the perception prodigy. We used wilderness critters recently and really liked them, but I don't think they are still being made. I appreciate the input.

One other question I have that you might be able to answer is where did you attach the tie downs below the vehicle? There does not appear to be many good spots. We don't have the tow package.
I agree that the added crossbars will be a necessity. I'm familiar with the Perception Prodigy, and think you'll find that the Pungo has a better seating system and a drywell in the stern for about the same $$.

I tie down my yak from the stern, using one of the loops on my hitch. By the way, I added the hitch myself since my intended use is to carry bikes, not tow anything. Cost me $105. delivered and took all of about 20 minutes to install! You are right about a front tie-down. There are points to pick below the front cowling, but they tend to bend the cowling and add poor sightlines when driving. With the Thule Stacker, I've found that the kayaks are rock-solid with only a rear tie-down. I'll try and post some pics over the weekend when I load up for another adventure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts