GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put a request in for air filter and cold air intake, anyone else interested in a performance upgrade for around $300 - $400, do the same. The request link is in red type, just above the search for parts function by year, make and model. I've heard from people putting these on GMC trucks, in combination with a performance exhaust system, who report really decent gains in horsepower (10 - 15 or so), as well as improved mileage.

They only have an oil filter, under 2007 for GMC Acadia, at present.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx

Anyone near Riverside, CA, willing to loan their Acadia to K & N for 1 - 5 days, in exchange for a free K & N CAI, assuming there is sufficient interest for them to develop one?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/vehicle.aspx?V=C

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
On a 6 cylinder, you might gain a little bit on HP if put in a regular replacement CAI system. HP will not mean much on 3.6L engine if you think will have more giddy up. It might give you 1-2 mpg though.

Tests results on replacement CIA's on new GT Mustangs that even
required reflash, gains .02 seconds in the qtr mile and that is with auto transmission. October 06 issue of MM & FF magazine. There needs to be multiple engine and transmission mods to make the vehicle faster. Just adding a CAI will not make it any faster than it all ready is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I'd even be up for a performance chip, if a legit one were offered and the warranty wasn't voided. There's a bs "chip" on e-bay promising +10 hp and +4 mpg, looked into it, sounds like a scam, especially at that price. Feedback wasn't good, either, from people who had bought the thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had E-mailed K&N about the future availability of a CAI or even a drop in filter. They replied that they are looking at possibly offering a drop in filter, but they couldn't offer an approximate time frame. This is my first vehicle in the last 10 years that hasn't received a K&N filter within the first couple weeks of ownership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i went and bought that scam chip on ebay but the thing was that it worked. has more kick when u get on the gas

·
Registered
752 Posts
perrincustoms said:
i went and bought that scam chip on ebay but the thing was that it worked. has more kick when u get on the gas
Did you have to change to a different level of gas (like premium) for this to work?

·
Registered
812 Posts
can anyone please post links on these scam chips.... Engine wise, the most HP you can get from a CAI/RAI + a decent performance exhaust would be 5-7 hp and a smoother power delivery, and about 15-35 hp gain coupled with a decent performance chip. likewise you have to let the ECU "settle down" for all these to take place. Give it time, there will be lots of power mods to the Acadia like any GM vehicle.

P.S.
some chips do require a matching o2 sensor and premium fuel to get the most performance.
just hope the tranny cooperates.... :thumb:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've got a feeling that if we were to measure our filter, we could find one that would fit.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Regarding a hp gain with a less restrictive air filter. From what I have read the gain is all in the higher rpm range which would make sense due to the fact that the engine is just a big air pump, but how many of us actually rev the engine up around 6000 rpm that often where the extra power would be produced? Maybe on the onramp or to pass, but for the most part not that often, and difference in power would not be than great. My point being it probably wouldn't be worth the money. If there was a chip change, induction change and less restrictive exhaust, the difference might be more noticeable.

·
Registered
752 Posts
big bear craig said:
Regarding a hp gain with a less restrictive air filter. From what I have read the gain is all in the higher rpm range which would make sense due to the fact that the engine is just a big air pump, but how many of us actually rev the engine up around 6000 rpm that often where the extra power would be produced? Maybe on the onramp or to pass, but for the most part not that often, and difference in power would not be than great. My point being it probably wouldn't be worth the money. If there was a chip change, induction change and less restrictive exhaust, the difference might be more noticeable.
That's a very good point. When this car is traveling at 70 and only pulling 1800rpms, I doubt that the filter would do much. Trying to pass that truck at 70 on a two lane road, it might help a tad bit - whether its worth the risk or the money is a good question.
I have used a chip in the past. A good one will run over $100 easy and worked only because I ran premium gas. That's way out of the question now. I did like the fact that it got rid of the speed limiter, but that car was limited at 90 or 95. I don't think I'll get over the 105 limit on this.

·
Registered
752 Posts
jonnie said:
Any update ... or does anyone know when the K&N Drop-In filter will become available?
Found an old item by dusty318 on Turbo 'Cada where he used an K&N filter 33-2919. He also routed his own custom piping to the airbox for a ram-air effect and cut out the lower bumper mesh below the drivers driving light for the inlet.

Sounds like that filter will drop right in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since I took delivery of my Acadia about 48 hours ago, I haven't had a chance to investigate....

Does THIS shape look like our airbox?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting! K&N's website says that the 33-2919 is made to fit an '06 Holden Commodore (which is a GM vehicle). The Commodore comes with a 6.0l V8 or the 3.6l V6.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I calculated on my Stang with $200.00 CAI, producing 2 more mpg , I get 2160 more miles a year or save 86.4 gl gas at $3.00 gal producing return on $200.00 investment of $259.20 first year. Coarse I drive 30,000+ a yr on my Stang too. My calc is conservative. I am averaging 2 mpg more on the average with CAI on my light weight Mustang. I had my light weight Stang for 4 months before installing CAI or 10,000 miles.
Maybe some one can report CAI mod they made on their Acadia, with b/4 mpg and after mpg on this heavy machine. Comments?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would like to see dyno results, but I doubt most of us will feel an extra 2 or 3 hp if that is the hp increase. It also stands to reason that if the filter lets in more air it also probably will pass more dirt too. This would only be a problem if the vehicle was driven in very dirty or dusty conditions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a '95 Chevy PU that I bought in '95. In '96, I put in a K&N air filter (I'm still using that same filter in this truck). It has 180,000 miles on it and only uses 1/2 qt of oil between 3500 mile changes. That is better than when this vehicle was new. It still has 60lb of oil pressure and the throttle body is extremely clean. Those of you that have been to Oklahoma know that it is very windy and dusty here. The K&N filters do a very effective job of keeping particulate matter out of the engine.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts