GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The K&N 33-2919 is not the right filter for the GMC Acadia. I know there's been a few discussions on this board about finding a K&N that is for another vehicle that will work with the Acadia, since K&N specifically has no aftermarket air filter for an Acadia at this time.

K&N specifies the Holden Commodore with a 3.6L V8 F/I motor for that K&N part number. While the motor is the same, the airbox is, in my opinion, not the same.

Some other poster said the K&N 33-2919 was what he used, but he never (to my knowledge) clarified if he modified the filter or the airbox to get it to work or it was a drop-in replacement.

So, for your visual edification, I unbolted my airbox, yanked the filter and took a picture. Frankly, I forgot to measure it, but seeing the differences between the stock picture I took and the 33-2919 pictured on K&N's website, it was so different that I didn't bother.

Just to note, getting the airbox off means unscrewing 2 screws per side of the box. You'll need a Torx 25 screwdriver or for those of you with a thumb-ratchet and a T25 bit, now's the time to use it. I also removed the large clamp that goes around the airbox tube to the motor, but I think that was unnecessary after I managed to get the airbox pushed in, and tilted up enough to drop the air filter out. I think the ribbed tube has enough flexibility that the clamp can stay on tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
thanks for the info. :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing beats pictures at killing hoped-for upgrades...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kram said:
This may be a match.
K&N part# 33-2394
I'm willing to try it. It sure matches the pictures better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look up that filter on the K&N site and check the vehicle applications...it's specifically for the '07 Acadia and Outlook...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phazer_II said:
Look up that filter on the K&N site and check the vehicle applications...it's specifically for the '07 Acadia and Outlook...
Well I'm guessing there's no difference between an 07 Acadia airbox and an 08? I hope not, as I went to Pep Boys today and ordered it. When it comes in (within 2 weeks) I'll install it and post back.

Be a nice Christmas present for the car. It was about $70, btw. PepBoys didn't have it in their system, but I had them call the head office and create the part number for that filter so they could then go ahead with the order.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mtn_KAT said:
Phazer_II said:
Well I'm guessing there's no difference between an 07 Acadia airbox and an 08? I hope not, as I went to Pep Boys today and ordered it. When it comes in (within 2 weeks) I'll install it and post back.

Be a nice Christmas present for the car. It was about $70, btw. PepBoys didn't have it in their system, but I had them call the head office and create the part number for that filter so they could then go ahead with the order.
It's around $55 shipped HERE

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mtn_KAT said:
Phazer_II said:

I just received a reply from K&N. I was asking for dealers who may have them already. And this current filter may NOT be for the 2008's ???.. just read through.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. Since the filter for the 2007 Acadia and the 2007 Outlook (not the 2008s) was just released on the 11th of this month, I doubt any stores will have it in stock. Currently we know who will have it in stock, you will have to call. Most parts stores can order the filter for you, especially since you have the part number, or if you do not want to do that you can buy direct from www.knfilters.com. The only drawback to buying direct is that it will cost you more for the filter. We do not compete with our dealers, so it will save you money to order through them instead. Hope this helps

If you have any additional questions, please contact our Customer Support Department at 1-(800)-858-3333.

Thank you for choosing K&N,

James Johnston

Technical & Customer Support Representative,

K&N Engineering, Inc.

[email protected]

Phone: (800) 858-3333

*When replying please include this entire e-mail*

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh well. I guess I'm going to find out the hard way.

In case I'm wrong, anyone want to buy a K&N for their 2007? I'll match that price of $55 shipped in the lower 48.

·
Registered
730 Posts
kram said:
Mtn_KAT said:
Phazer_II said:

It's around $55 shipped HERE
I found a coupon that will save us additional 10% less than the advertised price on THIS SITE
I applied at checkout and it works.
Coupon code : EDC07011
I haven't ordered yet. I guess, I wanted to hear some feedbacks first.

Mtn_KAT,
I really do hope that it will still fit your 08. The manufacturer may only have test fitted it on an 07 and was not able to get access on an 08 so maybe they are just being cautious not to assume things.
Good Luck

·
Registered
730 Posts
It may be used for the 2008 models as well....

Dear Mark,

It is possible the filter will fit the 2008’s, I don’t think we have had a chance to test fit it yet. We are just starting to test fit and design stuff for all the 2008 cars, trucks, SUV, vans, bikes, ATV…. Ect.

We always recommend (especially with a flat panel filter) that the customer waits till we list the filter. One possibility is that there may have been an air box design change (that happens a lot when a new type of vehicle is released, that is extremely close the original design, however because the OEM filter has a thicker gasket, GM will use the same filter, most people then assume our filter will fit, and it almost does. Our filter on the other hand is designed off the air box and does not allow for even 1/16” in size difference, and using our filter in that case will result in an air leak, and possible engine damage down the line. Take the AC Delco filter A917C, this fits a lot of GM vehicles, however it fits 3 different air boxes, we have 3 different size filter, all with different designed edges depending on the air box, and if the wrong filter is used there will be an air leak. Hope this helps

If you have any additional questions, please contact our Customer Support Department at 1-(800)-858-3333.

Thank you for choosing K&N,

James Johnston

Technical & Customer Support Representative,

K&N Engineering, Inc.

[email protected]

Phone: (800) 858-3333

*When replying please include this entire e-mail*

Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:23 AM
To: James Johnston
Subject: RE: K&N filter

Hi James,

Thanks for the information. There were already 2008 model owners that have purchased it (part# 33-2394) and your email indicates not for 2008.

Was their a big difference when you test fitted it with the 2008 model?
Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just posted this in the other K&N Intake thread, but thought I would add it here too...

Just wanted to let everyone know that Gravana Tuning (A.K.A Gravana Jim with the white SEMA Acadia posted elsewhere on this site), has the K&N filter listed on their webpage. Slightly less expensive than K&N I believe. Here is the link.

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applications/2007_GMC_Acadia_AWD_3.6.aspx/8/3899/_K_N_33_2394_High_Performance_Air_Filter_Saturn_Outlook_Air_Filter

I should also note that I have no affiliation with this company.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think their price is somewhat higher than the one I posted above.
Gravana = $65.97 (list $54.95 + $11.02 UPS ground)
Autoanything = $49.05 ( list $54.50 less 10% coupon code + free shipping)

I do not know (did not check) how much it will cost buying direct but K&N customer rep suggest it will be more expensive than dealers.

Also, I have NO affilation with any of the mentioned companies. Just looking for cheaper prices. :thumb:

·
Registered
105 Posts
K&N lists it at $62.63 + $3 min shipping. I's at several auto parts stores around us, I'll check their prices, unless on sale, they are usually same as K&N. Autoanything with coupon sounds like a great deal! Anybody order from them before?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Kram: Sorry didn't notice the link you had posted. Good find, I'm all for the lower prices too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So...has anyone had the opportunity to try the #33-2394 in their 2008 Acadia yet? I'm anxiously waiting confirmation that it fits...so I can order one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright...I'll answer my own question. I got impatient and went ahead and ordered the K&N #33-2394 (2007 Acadia) for my 2008. It just arrived in the mail and, as I suspected, it fits like a glove! So... '08 owners, go ahead and order them. It fits great, despite K&N advertising it for the 2007 model year only. :cheers:

2000Hoo said:
So...has anyone had the opportunity to try the #33-2394 in their 2008 Acadia yet? I'm anxiously waiting confirmation that it fits...so I can order one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
wow, i just read thru all of this and got slightly confused. LOL. so... what is the correct item # for the filter that fits an 07? i'd like to order one for the wifes ride. too bad nobody has come out with a short ram intake yet. that's what i've been hoping for, but i guess i can deal with a drop in for now. LOL also, does anyone have pics of the so callled pita of an airbox? just curious how hard it really is to get in there and change the filter out. can't wait to get the exhaust done soon. hopefully sri's and cai's come sometime soon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts