GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that feels ripped off? 2021 Acadia Denali Ultimate.

This vehicle has been in the shop a total of 9 days in 8 months. This vehicle has made an obnoxious/embarrassing noise 6 out of those 8 months.

First, about a month in it sounded like a lawnmower or a dirtbike. Hardly noticeable at first, but it got worse and worse with time. Seemed like the transmission because it only did it when in gear, revving in park did not produce the noise. They discovered it was a missing weld on a muffler. I had to fight to get a loaner out of these people because they can't seem to figure out that I paid 50,000 dollars for a reliable method of transportation and that they are beholden to provide said transportation in exchange for the currency I gave them. They replaced the entire muffler but some time later I noticed that they are now not symmetrical? One is shorter than the other? One is flush with the fascia, the other is tucked in a good 2 inches. Who builds these cars? Meth addicts? They've told me it can't be fixed, that's just how it is now... only that's not what I bought, what I bought had symmetrical exhaust and looked GOOD. Now the part of my car people see the most is ****-eyed. I know it seems petty, but this is a lot of money to me and this car is my "baby".

Then I develop a squeak. Seems like brakes? At very very slow speeds I hear it. In the drive thru or next to any wall it's OBNOXIOUS. Then I get "Service All Wheel Drive System" on my dash many times. So I take it in, "Can you fix the squeak and make this message go away?" They tell me there is a bulletin for the front brake pads and that they will change them. Won't have the parts until Monday. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the rear but okay. They discover a leak on the awd, pinion gear, seal is defective. They replace it. Takes a day to get the parts. They go to change the brakes and suddenly a caliper piston seal starts leaking, things keep going wrong and they keep adding a day to the repair. I don't have a loaner this entire time, I took Uber for a week. They finally told me I could go pick up a rental car... and my car was done the next day. Rental place is close to the dealer so I asked if someone could come pick me up... they couldn't even do that, had to pay for yet another Uber.

So I get the car back, they tell me it's good, no more noises, everything as it should be. IT'S STILL SQUEAKING.

What in the heck am I paying for, exactly? Am I paying 50k to drive around town and have people look at me and laugh because I spent all that money on a car that sounds 12 years old?! Am I paying to have my car constantly in the shop? Am I paying GMC so that I can pay for Ubers? I'm just so disappointed. This is the first time I've ever bought a new car. I've always had used. This is incredibly disheartening.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

This vehicle has been in the shop a total of 9 days in 8 months. This vehicle has made an obnoxious/embarrassing noise 6 out of those 8 months.

First, about a month in it sounded like a lawnmower or a dirtbike. Hardly noticeable at first, but it got worse and worse with time. Seemed like the transmission because it only did it when in gear, revving in park did not produce the noise. They discovered it was a missing weld on a muffler. I had to fight to get a loaner out of these people because they can't seem to figure out that I paid 50,000 dollars for a reliable method of transportation and that they are beholden to provide said transportation in exchange for the currency I gave them. They replaced the entire muffler but some time later I noticed that they are now not symmetrical? One is shorter than the other? One is flush with the fascia, the other is tucked in a good 2 inches. Who builds these cars? Meth addicts? They've told me it can't be fixed, that's just how it is now... only that's not what I bought, what I bought had symmetrical exhaust and looked GOOD. Now the part of my car people see the most is ****-eyed. I know it seems petty, but this is a lot of money to me and this car is my "baby".

Then I develop a squeak. Seems like brakes? At very very slow speeds I hear it. In the drive thru or next to any wall it's OBNOXIOUS. Then I get "Service All Wheel Drive System" on my dash many times. So I take it in, "Can you fix the squeak and make this message go away?" They tell me there is a bulletin for the front brake pads and that they will change them. Won't have the parts until Monday. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the rear but okay. They discover a leak on the awd, pinion gear, seal is defective. They replace it. Takes a day to get the parts. They go to change the brakes and suddenly a caliper piston seal starts leaking, things keep going wrong and they keep adding a day to the repair. I don't have a loaner this entire time, I took Uber for a week. They finally told me I could go pick up a rental car... and my car was done the next day. Rental place is close to the dealer so I asked if someone could come pick me up... they couldn't even do that, had to pay for yet another Uber.

So I get the car back, they tell me it's good, no more noises, everything as it should be. IT'S STILL SQUEAKING.

What in the heck am I paying for, exactly? Am I paying 50k to drive around town and have people look at me and laugh because I spent all that money on a car that sounds 12 years old?! Am I paying to have my car constantly in the shop? Am I paying GMC so that I can pay for Ubers? I'm just so disappointed. This is the first time I've ever bought a new car. I've always had used. This is incredibly disheartening.
I would research and try a different GM dealer. Try and look for reviews of the service departments at several GM dealers.
You do not have to take it to the dealer you bought it from. And, if another dealer tells you they can't look at it now because "Dealer A" already worked on it. . . . open a case with Customer service.

Reactions: aprilsruss

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
... I had to fight to get a loaner out of these people because they can't seem to figure out that I paid 50,000 dollars for a reliable method of transportation and that they are beholden to provide said transportation in exchange for the currency I gave them. ...
GM is not "beholden" to give you a loaner when your vehicle is in for warranty service. It seems as if neither your dealer's service department nor you are fully aware of their courtesy transportation program, though. You can get reimbursed for your outlay on Uber and out-of-pocket rental car expenses. Contact GMC Customer Care and find out the procedure for doing so. Read through this program description and see what documentation you are required to provide when you file your reimbursement claim: Courtesy Transportation and Roadside Assistance Programs.

Reactions: aprilsruss

·
Registered
1 Posts
I honestly can’t imagine buying a new GM with all the stuff they are shipping out non functioning, heated steering , seats etc … and they aren’t even putting rear heated seats in for a later retrofit!’ Sounds like you have a bad service department at your dealer though … luckily my wife’s Acadia is only a 17 so all her accoutrements function but when I trade it in (hopefully soon) I’m not even looking at GM ! It’s crazy that they think that stuff will fly

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
I honestly can’t imagine buying a new GM with all the stuff they are shipping out non functioning, heated steering , seats etc … and they aren’t even putting rear heated seats in for a later retrofit!’ ...
GM doesn't guarantee that accessory options are always available. Unfortunately, its even more so that way with 'chip' missing in action. GM isn't alone in that practice, either. All manufacturers have a habit of removing accessories at will, like footwell lights, side mirror blinkers, etc., etc., then adding them later in "refreshed" models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JayTee 2019: I've actually tried dealership a and then dealership b... there is a c but that's the last one even remotely close to me, the next closest is a big inconvenience so hopefully c for next time (please don't let there be a "next time", this is a brand new vehicle, this many problems are not justified).

Speleos: Um, yeah, anyone I give more than 50k to for a car is absolutely 100% "beholden" to ensure I have transportation, not including non-warranty related things which are my responsibility... and what I mean is "Do you or do you not want another sale in 4 years?". If the answer is "No, we don't like money", then okay, you have ZERO responsibilities to me and I can move on down the road. Thank you for letting me know about the reimbursement program, it proves further that GMC is incompetent having a moderater on a forum sharing this information with me despite me being in their dealerships and my car being in their shops multiple times now and not being told, but I'm glad I now know that exists, that's a game changer so I appreciate it.

JOHNNYAPPLESAUCE: Oh, my car was built pre-chip shortage, all of the features work perfectly... unfortunately the lion's share of those features have nothing to do with making the car go or stop, which is kind of the primary function of a car. It's just incredibly surprising that a car that hasn't even hit 10k and is 8-9 months old has already had all of these problems... I can't even imagine how many problems will pop up once the warranty expires... YIKES! fingers crossed

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Speleos: Um, yeah, anyone I give more than 50k to for a car is absolutely 100% "beholden" to ensure I have transportation, ...
You specifically said "loaner" in your post. For that, GM is not beholden to anyone. They could have (and should have) provided you with other means of transportation if loaners weren't available - like a rental or courtesy van ride to your home. Maybe you inferred that wasn't good enough for you. Seems to me you may have been a bit snotty with them, too. Maybe your attitude had a lot to do with how they then handled the situation. BTW, the courtesy transportation program is provided with some detail in your owners manual. You should have read it to understand the options.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
BTW, the courtesy transportation program is provided with some detail in your owners manual. You should have read it to understand the options.
A few months back, Consumer Reports said the average price of new vehicles had surpassed $47k. The OP paid little more than the average. I think his expectations are a tad too high.

Here is the info on the Courtesy Transportation Program from my '21 Buick's warranty booklet. It is important to note the last sentence that GM can change or discontinue it at anytime.

"If your vehicle requires warranty repairs during the course of your vehicle’s Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, Limited Powertrain, and/or hybrid-specific warranty, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses may be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program. Several transportation options are available. Consult your dealer or refer to the owner manual for details. Courtesy Transportation is not part of or included in the coverage provided by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. General Motors Corporation and General Motors of Canada Company reserve the right to make any changes or discontinue the Courtesy Transportation program at any time without notification."

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
A few months back, Consumer Reports said the average price of new vehicles had surpassed $47k. The OP paid little more than the average. I think his expectations are a tad too high.
+1 The Acadia is nothing more than middle of the road with GM's entire line producing crossovers. It's now only one step above Chevy and two below Cadillac.

Regarding the warranty quote, statements very similar to that are printed in the Acadia owners manual. Dealers also have the right to opt out of the courtesy transportation program. That's why I had a good laugh at the "they are beholden" comment.

·
Registered
GMC 2018 Acadia Denali Front Wheel Drive
117 Posts
JayTee 2019: I've actually tried dealership a and then dealership b... there is a c but that's the last one even remotely close to me, the next closest is a big inconvenience so hopefully c for next time (please don't let there be a "next time", this is a brand new vehicle, this many problems are not justified).

Speleos: Um, yeah, anyone I give more than 50k to for a car is absolutely 100% "beholden" to ensure I have transportation, not including non-warranty related things which are my responsibility... and what I mean is "Do you or do you not want another sale in 4 years?". If the answer is "No, we don't like money", then okay, you have ZERO responsibilities to me and I can move on down the road. Thank you for letting me know about the reimbursement program, it proves further that GMC is incompetent having a moderater on a forum sharing this information with me despite me being in their dealerships and my car being in their shops multiple times now and not being told, but I'm glad I now know that exists, that's a game changer so I appreciate it.

JOHNNYAPPLESAUCE: Oh, my car was built pre-chip shortage, all of the features work perfectly... unfortunately the lion's share of those features have nothing to do with making the car go or stop, which is kind of the primary function of a car. It's just incredibly surprising that a car that hasn't even hit 10k and is 8-9 months old has already had all of these problems... I can't even imagine how many problems will pop up once the warranty expires... YIKES! fingers crossed
And they will. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I thought mods were around to prevent people being jerks, not being jerks themselves by coming into threads calling people snotty, saying they had an attitude at the dealership when they were not present, or just generally being rude. Sorry I posted, I've clearly come to the wrong place to have a discussion. Best to everyone, have a great day.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Wow, I thought mods were around to prevent people being jerks, not being jerks themselves by coming into threads calling people snotty, saying they had an attitude at the dealership when they were not present, or just generally being rude. Sorry I posted, I've clearly come to the wrong place to have a discussion. Best to everyone, have a great day.
No offense, but your rant made you sound like the jerk.

I'm pretty sure there are not folks pointing at you and laughing as you drive around town with a brake squeal.

You come across as one of those customers that no matter what the dealer does to please you, you can't be pleased.

If you are embarrassed to drive your Acadia, trade it in and buy something else. The good news is your Acadia is still worth what you paid for it.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Booger! LOL
You twist my words around to make it look like I'm the bad guy. Shame on you. There must be some element of truth to what I wrote if you're so offended by it. I don't have to hold a crying towel for every "Karen" who decides to join this forum.

·
Registered
2021 Acadia AT4
25 Posts

We also have a 21 and when we accelerated sounds really odd and the dealership trying to tell me it was because it’s a nine speed transmission I called BS . I’m still waiting to get it in so they can look at the noise. Also the black chrome on the grill is peeling already, our back hatch has leaked two times now fixed once so far, our radio had to be replaced because during the update the system froze. It’s BS that you spend good money on a vehicle and have to deal with nonstop problems

·
Registered
23 Posts
You specifically said "loaner" in your post. For that, GM is not beholden to anyone. They could have (and should have) provided you with other means of transportation if loaners weren't available - like a rental or courtesy van ride to your home. Maybe you inferred that wasn't good enough for you. Seems to me you may have been a bit snotty with them, too. Maybe your attitude had a lot to do with how they then handled the situation. BTW, the courtesy transportation program is provided with some detail in your owners manual. You should have read it to understand the options.
Hello Speleos,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sir You have every right to complain about your vehicle and the service you are getting. I too was very frustrated in dealing with an issue on my 2017. Unfortunately there are several people on this forum that feel the need to belittle posters with negative comments. At times I feel they are in the pockets of GM and take their side. Good luck and feel free to call corporate. I did and had positive results in days.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Welcome to car ownership.....just because you have a new car doesn't mean that the brakes won't squeak. My '19 has brake noise too. At 46,000 miles that brake pads are still at 50% or more. If you go to any other country, you will hear brake squeak all the time. For some reason, Americans are programmed that if brakes make noise, they must be bad. Sometimes it is just dirt or road grime. Sometimes it is the composition of semi-metallic brake pads. Stop making yourself crazy over something that is the "nature of the beast". That being said, if my car sounded "like a lawnmower" I would be concerned

·
Registered
1 Posts

Our 2020 Acadia SLT2 will be 2 years old Sunday, it has performed flawlessly. It must have been a Wednesday vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts