GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone else wants to replace the stock SLT rear view mirror, I just bought an auto dimming, onstar, compass mirror from ebay.
The mirror I bought came from a Cadillac STS and it is a drop in replacement.

1) unplug the power/data cable from the back
2) loosen the torx screw at the window mounting point
3) swap mirrors and reverse steps 1 and 2
4) Calibrate the Compass

Now I have the auto dimmer and compass for $40. I love ebay

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the pictures that the seller provided. I am not sure how to post them here.
I made sure the connector on the back looked about the same, as well as the buttons on the front of the mirror.
Then I took a chance. I made sure that the mirror didnt have extra features like temp. or air bag indicators.

But, it looks like our Acadia's use the same mirrors that the late model Cadillac's use.

There is no GM part# I can see. The compass mirror looks the same as the original except for:
The compass display, a power button on the left side, the sensor for the compass mounted on the piece that holds the mirror to the window, and a small light sensor on the front and back of the mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I miss having a compass in my mirror. I'm directionally challenged. I wouldn't mind replacing the mirror in my SLE also. I think it's stupid that they left out a minor detail like that from SLE to SLT. I bet the '08 SLEs have it (I noted on GMC's website yesterday that the SLEs have the leather wrapped steering wheel in the preferred package now too. Mine didn't. *pouts*)

I'd love to have a little more info on this mirror.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm going to give this upgrade a try. I found a mirror from a 2006 Cadillac DTS on ebay for $15. It looks like it is the same as the upgraded Acadia mirror. For $15 I figured it was worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Just from curiosity, I called a dealer for price on up graded mirror from SLE to SLT with compass coupled with On-Star features. Mirror - $440.00 and cable assy if needed replaced which I don't think it would, price is $120.00. Ya, it would be nice to have the compass too! I miss it, but the wife doesn't and is her car. She's happy with Temp that must have.

There are after market but by time is installed, $500.00. That is what cost me in my Stang from local trim shop and has no On Star. Only Temp and Compass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer just replaced my SLE mirror with a compass-temperature mirror. but the temperature always shows 'OC'. Anyone know how to configure it? Compass seems to work fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your mirror must have been made in Orange County and it never wants to leave. (That's a California Joke) ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
:) I wish. Actually i just got a call from the dealer - they installed the wrong mirror. This makes the 2nd time they've ordered the wrong mirror for this vehicle. I would have thought they could figure out which part was needed by my VIN.

The SLE doesn't have the temperature wire embedded in the windshield to feed to the mirror, so the temperature gauge never would have worked to begin with...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Web Raven said:
I miss having a compass in my mirror. I'm directionally challenged. I wouldn't mind replacing the mirror in my SLE also. I think it's stupid that they left out a minor detail like that from SLE to SLT. I bet the '08 SLEs have it.
Unfortunately the 08 SLE doesn't have the compass either...I wish it did.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my 08 SLE has the temp and compass. i thought every SLE has this as a standard feature.

·
Registered
60 Posts
preytor said:
my 08 SLE has the temp and compass. i thought every SLE has this as a standard feature.
Only the temp is standard. I believe the compass is part of one the of option packages.

·
Registered
23 Posts
darrink1 said:
In case anyone else wants to replace the stock SLT rear view mirror, I just bought an auto dimming, onstar, compass mirror from ebay.

4) Calibrate the Compass

Now I have the auto dimmer and compass for $40. I love ebay

This is a great thread you started darrin but photos are desperately needed here. If you contact me and then email me the photos I can host them for you so eveyone can see this upgrade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
keeferb said:
preytor said:
Only the temp is standard. I believe the compass is part of one the of option packages.
For what it's worth, no temp OR compass in the 2009. The temp shows up on the dashboard. Curiously, the compass has disappeared... on the base model anyway. Annoying!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mikesacadia said:
darrink1 said:

4) Calibrate the Compass

Do you have the model year STS that it came from? I might try and replace in my SLE. If does not work, only spent $50.00 vs dealer upgrade or after market upgrade install at $500.00+. I will look for one in the mean time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
skyhawk said:
The compass comes with the DIC. And the DIC only comes with the SLT line.
Unless I missed it, I guess you don't get it in the 2009 DIC if you have NAVI. I really like to just see the direction (e.g., NW) as opposed to having to think about the NAVI positioning on the screen ???. It definitely takes some getting used to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts