GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say, I'm not impressed with the roof rails.
The design is not very functional; it does not support after market goodies.
It is only marginally good for a cargo box and snow board holders.
The biggest disappointment is the fact that the actual mounting width is very small.
and what ever is mounted, will be at the center of the rack, making loading/unloading
very hard.

Unfortunately the side rails don't facilitate the use of after market cross rails either.

If I didn't need the cross rails for a cargo box, I would not keep these.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Copper, Thanks for the sharing. I was considering getting a set of cross rails. I would only need them a few times a year when I need to bring home long lumbar boards, etc. from Home Depot. Maybe I should just use some bungee cords and strap some 2x4 to the roof rails for cross rails. With your experience, what do you think of that idea? My driving with this arrangement would all be local.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Tim,

You'll still need something to keep items (other than a soft pillow) off of your actual roof and/or sun roof glass. That's essentially what the cross rails do for you. You might consider finding a way to secure the lumber inside the car and hanging out the back w/ a "flag" attached to make the ends more visible.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
154 Posts
:confused:

I was thinking putting them on top of the roof rails in same orientation as the cross rails. That would keep the 2x4 and the load off the roof/sun roof.

I took a quick look and if I took that approach, they would only be about 3 feet apart - fore to aft - due to the openings in the roof rails to pass the bungee cords through. That doesn't seem to provide much stability for boards 12 foot long or longer.

I'm considering using the inside too. But, trying to avoid that because of potential to scratch/tear the seats, headliner, or plastics when loading/unloading.

It may just come down to deciding between spending around $200 versus rigging up 2x4's with bungee cords. I would probably want to cut notches in the 2x4s (and add some felt too) to keep them from sliding left or right.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you really need to carry long lumber on the roof, you'll HAVE to load them parallel with the car! You're gonna cause an accident carrying 12 ft. items in the same orientation as the cross rails (perpendicular to the roof rack). I'm also considering buying the cross rails & then get some Thule or other name brand accessories that will allow me to carry my kayak or other items.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim,
If you really need to carry lumber, I would recommend carrying them inside
with the lift gate open. You would not be able to secure the 2X4’s properly
to the side rails to act as cross bars. Also, you would definitely ruin the finish on the side rails. If you really have to carry large heavy loads, you could have a custom roof rack made, although this can be pricey. I’ve seen some beautiful ones that would attach to the factory mount holes; they would remove the side rails completely.

Smooth,
The side rails don’t facilitate good use of after market cross bars.
The way the side rails are designed, the cross bars would be too close together
and not be very stable for long items. I forgot the actual measurement,
but there is a minimum distance that the cross bars should be from each other.
I believe on the Acadia, you could not maintain that distance.

I think the best way to go, would be to get the adapters from factory cross bars to Thule cross bars.
You would need to buy the factory cross bars and mount adapters that hold the Thule bars.
You basically end up with two sets of cross bars - with the Thule bars approximately two inches over the factory bars.
If you don’t mind the reach up to the top with the extra height, and your garage will accommodate it, I suppose this would work.

I think I got spoiled using the Thule rack system over the last 4 years. It is so easy to change out carriers from bikes, to kayaks, to cargo box, to snowboards, I just loved it.

I hope Thule or Yakima make a rail system that will take the place of the factory side rails, I know someone on this forum actually remove the side rails. I will defiantly look into some options for this type of set up.

Don’t get me wrong, the cross bars will do the job. I just don’t think they will be
as practical and versitile as the after market products.

They do look pretty cool though !!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
752 Posts
It is amazing what you can carry inside the acadia. I do have the cross rails installed, but use the inside whenever possible. 10 lumber down the center with the tailgate closed is no problem. I did slightly scratch the top of the dash carrying some 12 foot 1x2 redwood pieces. So I would definitely wrap a towel around any ends.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a Yakima rail system (and Yakima SkyBox16) and like others I was spoiled with my Yukon's crossrail setup. I use these: http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-systems/product/8000136/lowrider-max.aspx mounded on my wife's Volvo XC90. Although a tight fit these Yakima LowRider Max units do fit on the rails of the Acadia. It takes some patience, but they definitely work. Try going to your local Yakima dealer and ask their advice. I have used them two times in the past month on the Acadia, so I know they work. On the Volvo they fit perfectly. BTW: I really like the Yakima line of products over the Thule IMHO, so I can not speak for the Thule setup(s).

Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Smooth,
The side rails don’t facilitate good use of after market cross bars.
The way the side rails are designed, the cross bars would be too close together
and not be very stable for long items. I forgot the actual measurement,
but there is a minimum distance that the cross bars should be from each other.
I believe on the Acadia, you could not maintain that distance.
Copper..,

Thx for the good info. Are you saying that the Acadia cross rails won't freely move to a width (front to back) that allows for good stability of long items because they will not adjust far enough apart, or because of some other factor such as curvature of the roofline which prevents using another mfr's adaptor?

Also, don't Thule or Yakima make devices that can be fastened directly to the Acadia cross rails for carrying bikes or kayaks... without needing to first attach reduntand cross rails?

Still considering my options.

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you saying that the Acadia cross rails won't freely move to a width (front to back) that allows for good stability of long items because they will not adjust far enough apart[/color]
No. The factory rails will adjust. After market rails will not adjust far enough.
Although turfster26 has used Yakima mounts (See above). Maybe Turfster26 could elaborate
on the distance they can be adjusted. I can't see it being more than about 16 inches
and I think minimum is 28 inches.[/color]

because of some other factor such as curvature of the roof line which prevents using another mfr's adaptor?[/color]
No, the way the after market adapters work, is they wrap around the side rails. Only the center section of the side rails
will allow a mount to wrap around the side rail.[/color]

Also, don't Thule or Yakima make devices that can be fastened directly to the Acadia cross rails for carrying bikes or kayaks... without needing to first attach redundant cross rails?[/color]
No. Most of the after market toys wont fasten directly to the factory Acadia cross bars; the factory cross bars are too wide.
Thule cross bars are square in cross section, and Yakima cross bars are round in cross section.
The Acadia cross bars are oval in cross section.
[/color]

Here's what I found so far (pertaining to the factory cross bars):

Cargo boxes from both Thule and Yakima will fit.
Thule fork mount bike racks will not.
Front wheel mounts from Thule will fit, but from Yakima will not.
Thule snow board racks might (I will check some time this week).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Are you saying that the Acadia cross rails won't freely move to a width (front to back) that allows for good stability of long items because they will not adjust far enough apart[/color]
No. The factory rails will adjust. After market rails will not adjust far enough.
Although turfster26 has used Yakima mounts (See above). Maybe Turfster26 could elaborate
on the distance they can be adjusted. I can't see it being more than about 16 inches
and I think minimum is 28 inches.[/color]

because of some other factor such as curvature of the roof line which prevents using another mfr's adaptor?[/color]
No, the way the after market adapters work, is they wrap around the side rails. Only the center section of the side rails
will allow a mount to wrap around the side rail.[/color]

Also, don't Thule or Yakima make devices that can be fastened directly to the Acadia cross rails for carrying bikes or kayaks... without needing to first attach redundant cross rails?[/color]
No. Most of the after market toys wont fasten directly to the factory Acadia cross bars; the factory cross bars are too wide.
Thule cross bars are square in cross section, and Yakima cross bars are round in cross section.
The Acadia cross bars are oval in cross section.
[/color]

Here's what I found so far (pertaining to the factory cross bars):

Cargo boxes from both Thule and Yakima will fit.
Thule fork mount bike racks will not.
Front wheel mounts from Thule will fit, but from Yakima will not.
Thule snow board racks might (I will check some time this week).

Hope this helps.
As I mentioned, the Yakima LowRider Max crossrails DO FIT. I have used them twice so far to mount my Yakima SkyBox16. Like I said prior, it is a tight fit but they definitely fit and once you do it once you get the hang of it. I do not know the exact distance, but you can not mount them past the point where the factor rails mount to the Acadia. So you are correct, the mounting distance is not the greatest but do work for my SkyBox and for all my applications.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you really need to carry long lumber on the roof, you'll HAVE to load them parallel with the car! You're gonna cause an accident carrying 12 ft. items in the same orientation as the cross rails (perpendicular to the roof rack).
Smooth, Of course the load would be carried parallel with the car. The 2x4's to be used as cross rails and would go perpendicular and would not be longer then the width of the car.

I measured the gap today between the front and rear mounting brackets for the side rails. It's 3'. Not 2' as I guessed before. Seems the max distance between the OEM cross rails would be 4'.

I did slightly scratch the top of the dash carrying some 12 foot 1x2 redwood pieces
Sandman, Exactly what I want to avoid!

·
Registered
533 Posts
C..13.

Another good find with that thread. Looks like that set-up works - less the cool look of the GM cross rails. I may hold out a while and see whether or not some form of adapters hit the market to make use of the GM rails. But, at least I now know of a good alternative, and there'd be plenty of accessories for the Yakima. I'm modifying what I just posted 25 min. ago. I don't own mine yet (10-14 days to go..), but I just looked at a picture of the roof rack and I now understand why the aftermarked units can only be attached as wide apart as the "unobstructed" portion of the rack allows - and that apparently the GM cross rails can slide essentially the full length of the roof rack.

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, you are correct. I measured the disance, and it is 22 inches with the Yakima.
I believe they recommend at least 28 inches. I will check this out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Yes, you are correct. I measured the disance, and it is 22 inches with the Yakima.
I believe they recommend at least 28 inches. I will check this out.
My Yakima SkyBox16 DOES fit in the distance allowed on the Acadia. I do not know where all the confusion lies? I and a couple of others when posted have stated that the Yakima LowRider Max crossrails do fit and look nice. Not quite as slick as factor, but close. And I feel give you more options when various accessories. Not too much money either fro the Yakima rails.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
turfster26 said:
My Yakima SkyBox16 DOES fit in the distance allowed on the Acadia. I do not know where all the confusion lies? I and a couple of others when posted have stated that the Yakima LowRider Max crossrails do fit and look nice. Not quite as slick as factor, but close. And I feel give you more options when various accessories. Not too much money either fro the Yakima rails.
Turfster,

There is no confusion, I know you are saying it fits, I just don't think it is safe.
I just called Yakima Technical Support, and they stated "cargo boxes
should not [/color] be carried on the Acadia with the yakima cross bars".

Yakima Tech support: 1(888) 925-4621.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
turfster26 said:
Turfster,

There is no confusion, I know you are saying it fits, I just don't think it is safe.
I just called Yakima Technical Support, and they stated "cargo boxes
should not [/color] be carried on the Acadia with the yakima cross bars".

Yakima Tech support: 1(888) 925-4621.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll call them and see what their reason(s) are mounting on Acadia. If so I simply purchase the factor rails and mount cargo box with the Acadia rails.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think one of the problems is the side rails on the Acadia
are not parallel, the front portion of the side rails are
further apart than the rear portion. The factory front cross rail
is longer than the rear cross rail. With the Thule, and probably the Yakima,
they are intended to mount onto parallel side rails. This would reduces the
mounting strength of the system.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good points, Copper..

I hadn't realized that the racks were not parallel!! That would indeed have an impact. And, I could see that not having a box mounted with a minimum separation of rails would become unstable! As previously stated, I'm hoping for either Yak or Thule to produce a new Acadia-ready cross rail to use with their numerous accessories!

Smooth <><[/color]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts