GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry folks. I just bailed on buying an Acadia and got a Honda Odyssey instead. Acadia is nice, but I have no need to tow or use 4WD. The minivan has much more room, slightly better fuel economy (17/25) and probably ended up costing several thousand less ($28k with the upgrade EX leather package) than an Acadia, even with GM employee pricing. I was going to wait another year for better fuel economy vehicles to hit the market but it now seems that things may be unfolding a bit more slowly than I would like on that front. The Acadia looks better, but it's hard beat minivan functionality with small kids (the sliding doors are a big help).

Anyway - good luck to all you Acadia owners and lookers and thanks for providing a forum to learn more about actual owner experiences. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
H***a Odyssey Forum

Members: 61,633, Threads: 40,879, Posts: 395,757
Welcome to our newest member, OU812

Wow! That's a lot of members and posts! Do they offer any type of recognition for a lot of posts? If not, can I have yours since you won't need them anymore? :p

Acadia Forum:
54,267 Posts in 4,090 Topics by 5,389 Members.

DSNY FN, 3rd Timer, and I are working on the first stat. We should overtake y'all in a matter of days.

You're always welcome here!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yes, you saved several $$$$. Enjoy your Honda Motors product. Not many in our parts. We might see Nissan's and Honda's in the next couple years with soon to close GM SUV plant in town. :mad:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Good luck with your minivan our history with that vehicle isn't stellar and and will not own another. But like all cars and truck there is always going to be bad ones manufactured no matter how goot the QC is in a factory it is just inevitable with all the 3rd parties making parts for them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Like "Dirty" Harry Callahan once said "A mans got to do, what a mans got to do." Good luck w/ your Honda.... :cheers:

·
Registered
730 Posts
MtnBiker said:
Sorry folks. I just bailed on buying an Acadia and got a Honda Odyssey instead. Acadia is nice, but I have no need to tow or use 4WD. The minivan has much more room, slightly better fuel economy (17/25) and probably ended up costing several thousand less ($28k with the upgrade EX leather package) than an Acadia, even with GM employee pricing. I was going to wait another year for better fuel economy vehicles to hit the market but it now seems that things may be unfolding a bit more slowly than I would like on that front. The Acadia looks better, but it's hard beat minivan functionality with small kids (the sliding doors are a big help).

Anyway - good luck to all you Acadia owners and lookers and thanks for providing a forum to learn more about actual owner experiences. :cheers:
There is no need to be sorry. It's a big purchase and it would be a s*cker if you bought one and realize later on that it was the wrong choice. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I am sure in the end you bought what suits your needs the best. Hondas
also have some of the better resale values out there, so if and when you sell this is definitely a plus. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I don't have any small children, but I can definitely understand where a minivan would better suit the needs of parents who do. I think of my Acadia as more of a teen/adult vehicle, not so much a kid-hauler. The interior of minivans seem to be set up to be much more kid friendly.

My ex owns two Hondas (Pilot and Accord) and he is seemingly happy with them. I think you'll be pleased that you made a good decision for your family. :thumb: And obviously it should go without saying, but you're always welcome here regardless of whether you own an Acadia or not.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Web Raven said:
I don't have any small children, but I can definitely understand where a minivan would better suit the needs of parents who do. I think of my Acadia as more of a teen/adult vehicle, not so much a kid-hauler. The interior of minivans seem to be set up to be much more kid friendly.

My ex owns two Hondas (Pilot and Accord) and he is seemingly happy with them. I think you'll be pleased that you made a good decision for your family. :thumb: And obviously it should go without saying, but you're always welcome here regardless of whether you own an Acadia or not.
Ya the part with young kids isn't much of a problem our 1 year old will have her seat at one door and the other will have a booster seat so it will still be easy to get the others in and out of the back seats.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Web Raven said:
...My ex owns two H***as[/color] (Pilot and Accord) and he is seemingly happy with them. I think you'll be pleased that you made a good decision[/color] for your family...
I think you made a better decision about your ex. You've certainly moved up in the world, and I'm sure he is cursing the day he lost a future Acadia Celebrity (sounds so much nicer than Freak) and Queen Moderator. ;D

·
Registered
381 Posts
We did just the opposite. The we bought our Acadia at a GMC/Honda dealership (separate show rooms). Wife like the drive in the Acadia better, but the storage space in the Odessy. She left it up to me to decide...I told her it wouldn't take a test drive...

After 6 months of Acadia ownership, she does wish she had rear sliding doors. I'm driving it more than expected so I'm still happy with the decision...although, a lease may have been a better deal than buy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Congrats - sounds like you made an excellent decision for your family. I owned a minivan for 10 years when my kids were younger and absolutely loved it. I would not be without the sliding doors for small kids. If I was in your situation I would have made a similar choice, although I probably would have gone with a Toyota Sienna.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my wife's first choice is the odyssey. i also love the odyssey, in fact, have i not seen the acadia, we would've probably bought the acadia. but after learning that the odyssey don't have a 4wd, it became pilot vs acadia. i road tested both, but its really more of a formality because i am definitely set on the acadia.

congrats on your purchase, i'm sure you won't regret it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
loach said:
Congrats - sounds like you made an excellent decision for your family. I owned a minivan for 10 years when my kids were younger and absolutely loved it. I would not be without the sliding doors for small kids. If I was in your situation I would have made a similar choice, although I probably would have gone with a Toyota Sienna.
Blech LOL we have a minivan now and hate it sliding doors and all and we have young children. The only think it has been good for is the gas mileage we have gotten over 33/MPG out of it on the highway since new other than that I hate the thing. I guess we are just not a minivan family thus the new Acadia being ordered and not another minivan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We just traded in a Chrysler Town & Country minivan for our Acadia, and while I wouldn't recommend this one due to reliability issues I do agree that a minivan is much more convenient when you have young kids. The sliding doors and extra storage space comes in really handy. Our kids are getting older, and we felt that the Acadia now suits our needs better. :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
While I LOVE our Acadia, I still am able to say that the minivan is still the more practical family vehicle. Better gas mileage, more room, the automatic sliding doors make getting kids in and out easier, etc. etc.

We went to our GMC/Buick/Pontiac dealer with the goal of getting a new minivan to replace our Pontiac Montana. That's when we were told that GM did not make minivans anymore. I was ready to walk away and start looking at other dealerships. The salesman told me that the Acadia was the replacement, so I looked at it. I almost immediately fell in love with the Acadia. So then we worked through the negative of not having the sliding doors, and decided we wanted the AWD and the car we liked, vs getting another minivan.

I think your purchase of the Odyssey was very wise for your family and your needs!! For us, we are VERY HAPPY with our decision to go with the Acadia. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My kids are 5, 3 and 3 months. We're actually doing great with the Acadia. With the Captain's chairs, my 5 year old climbs back to his booster seat and buckles himself in. Car seats in the two captains chairs for the little ones. When grocery shopping, or whenever we need extra room, we put down one of the rear seats, and we're fine. And at vacation time, our Thule Cascade top gives us the extra room we need. OK, I was cursing like a sailor trying to pack everything in for vacation, but I didn't want to make a vehicle choice for the 2 times a year we go away. Overall we're very happy with our choice. We would have gone Sienna only because I wanted AWD. But very happy not to have needed to go there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DSNY FN said:
Good luck with your minivan our history with that vehicle isn't stellar and and will not own another. But like all cars and truck there is always going to be bad ones manufactured no matter how goot the QC is in a factory it is just inevitable with all the 3rd parties making parts for them.
Thanks all for your gracious comments. I still think the Acadia is a pretty sharp looking cross-over...maybe we'll get the 2nd or 3rd generation when our kids get a bit older! In the meantime, enjoy your Acadias!

Also, I was curious about the problem mentioned above. What problems did you have with the Odyssey? What year? The only problem we had on our 2000 Odyssey was the sliding doors. I checked the Honda Odyssey forum and see a few issues I will have to be mindful of.

Thanks again all!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts