GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for assurance, and insight from someone out there who tows. I mean who really tows and has the feel for it and understands, more than me about Acadia. Heck, I have not even driven an Acadia, but (the wife likes them) and we need another vehicle. I want to give my truck a break also. My total tow weight for the Acadia would be the sum of 3, 4-wheelers and an aluminum trailer. Maybe 2,800lbs or so. But I tow. I've just been from Pa to Michigan UP and back and before that to the Hatfields and McCoys in West Va. I like to get around with the machines and mountains or whatever...I am in.

You see...I tow now with a 2500hd duramax "juiced-up" diesel and yes...it will spoil you towing such a small load. I need to keep, to tow our boat though. This is a beast but we need to give it a rest!

I waited for the traverse to come out...saw one last week in Standish, Michigan on a Chevy dealers lot..and do not like it at all. The Acadia stye is more appealing. I will go look, drive the Acadia. We both like them and are die hard GM fans.

I crawled under an Acadia on a lot and have a question, is this a full frame vehicle? If not, the "old timers" like me have always automatically shyed away from something like this. Now granted it is not towing a house but still may see longevity issues if there is not a full frame to equalize torque and stresses.

This vehicle will be a daily driver and a weekend to the mountains type vehicle...usually with a trailer in tow and grandchildren in the back.

I just don't know about the V-6, the tranny issues I,ve read, the frame or lack of,,,, I'm so confused but also want to stretch some MPG's during the week.

What to do.....

Johnnyboy

·
Registered
156 Posts
johnnyboy said:
I am looking for assurance, and insight from someone out there who tows. I mean who really tows and has the feel for it and understands, more than me about Acadia. Heck, I have not even driven an Acadia, but (the wife likes them) and we need another vehicle. I want to give my truck a break also. My total tow weight for the Acadia would be the sum of 3, 4-wheelers and an aluminum trailer. Maybe 2,800lbs or so. But I tow. I've just been from Pa to Michigan UP and back and before that to the Hatfields and McCoys in West Va. I like to get around with the machines and mountains or whatever...I am in.

You see...I tow now with a 2500hd duramax "juiced-up" diesel and yes...it will spoil you towing such a small load. I need to keep, to tow our boat though. This is a beast but we need to give it a rest!

I waited for the traverse to come out...saw one last week in Standish, Michigan on a Chevy dealers lot..and do not like it at all. The Acadia stye is more appealing. I will go look, drive the Acadia. We both like them and are die hard GM fans.

I crawled under an Acadia on a lot and have a question, is this a full frame vehicle? If not, the "old timers" like me have always automatically shyed away from something like this. Now granted it is not towing a house but still may see longevity issues if there is not a full frame to equalize torque and stresses.

This vehicle will be a daily driver and a weekend to the mountains type vehicle...usually with a trailer in tow and grandchildren in the back.

I just don't know about the V-6, the tranny issues I,ve read, the frame or lack of,,,, I'm so confused but also want to stretch some MPG's during the week.

What to do.....

Johnnyboy
Johnnyboy, I know several members here on the forum use their Acadia's for towing and hopefully you will get some good feedback from there experiences...What little I can answer is that the Acadia is not a "body on frame" like a truck would be i.e. Siverado, Tahoe etc. but rather a "unibody" built like a car. Now, for the 2007, 2008 and the first couple months of production of the 2009's, the towing capacity was rated at 4500lbs when equipped with the factory towing package. In the mid part of September production of the 2009 Acadia, the towing capacity was increased to 5200lbs. From what we gather, the increase came from some added "structure" to the mounting point on the frame, a stronger hitch and mounting set up.

Also, the 2009 model is now direct fuel injected which resulted in increasing the horsepower by 13 to 288hp and torque by 20 to 270 lb ft. So at that level you would appear to be fine in towing 2,800lbs. Now as far as the tranny issues, someone here a couple weeks back said that the 2009 also had revised transmission programming which addressed the shifting issues of the 07-08's. I am not sure how mountains figure into the mix as I live in Florida, but I am sure some members here on the forum have towed in the mountains...I tow some dirt bikes and a four wheeler but I am spoiled liviing here in Florida. The 2009 should be better by having addressed some of those issues of power, towing capacity and transmission. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Search "Towing Boat" might find the help you are looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read it. Thanks!

It eases some of my reluctance. I guess, we need to drive one and probably will take the plunge.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Posted in another thread but will repeat for you - towed a uhaul 6x12 which is 1800 lbs empty 1,000 miles w/ about 2,000 lbs of stuff in and good cabin load w 4 people and luggage last summer with 08, factory towing pkg.

that load made for hard work going up I40 east from Knoxville to Asheville on a day when it was 100F in Knoxville... but I got nothing bad to say about towing with an Acadia beyond that. Get eryour weight bias forward and as low as you can... and it should track very nicely.

It is a sweet road trip ride, you can't beat it for that in my book.

Good luck either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts