GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in an Acadia, and I am trying to make the price right. Would it be wiser to forego the NAV system and just use the Onstar NAV, and can you still get the auto climate controls without the NAV.

Thanks in advance

P.S.- I like this site much better than the other(so much so that I Joined)

·
Registered
794 Posts
You have to order the SLT 1 or SLT 2. From what I hear the onstar dirction system works pretty well. I haven't tried it myself yet. But you can save the directions and see them on your radio, or just listen to the audio. Its linked to GPS, so will says things like "turn left in 50 feet."

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
They are 2 different animals.

NAV ismoredetailed and you can scroll to other streets to see if there is another way around or check your surroundings.

Onstar is like someone reading you directions over a phone.

If you have the means I woluld do the NAV if you feel you willutilize it alot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've never had a nav system, but I'm very impressed with onstar's directions. The earlier post said, and they were correct, that the directions are spoken via computer through your radio and the directions are displayed on your radio. Arrows point you in the right direction and they also tell you how many feet you have before your turn. If you miss a turn, the directions will help you to correct for the error.

The other post said that if you travel a lot, you'd probably enjoy the nav system more, and they are probably right. The one downfall with onstar is that there have been a few cases where when the customer service rep tried to download the directions to my vehicle, the transmission was interrupted. I had to call back and either ask them to attempt the directions again or they would verbally walk you through requiring you to write them down which isn't convenient when driving. However the reps are extremely personable and it's a good experience overall.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am still learning the Nav and am liking what it will do.
yesterday I programed my Dealer location in cause I had to go back after work. It's 44 miles away. It asked if I wanted the fastest, shortest, or scenic route. What ever I punched in it was showing using the back roads. I didnt have time to readjust it and took off.

While in route it was telling me to turn and I kept going straight. It then told me to turn around ahead at a legal u turn around. After a while it picked out the next shortcut and told me to turn again. I kept going and as I missed its suggested route it learned the next path to my destination until I arrived.

Pretty cool.

P.S. 44 miles-2 gal= 22mpg ;D

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Nav question - how recent is the map data you get, and how often do they update it? Do you have any idea what the DVDs cost? I'm just curious because my neighborhood is brand new. The road I live on didn't exist 4 months ago. In fact, it's JUST now showing up on google maps. Just wondering how that would work w/ the Nav...

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
admin said:
Nav question - how recent is the map data you get, and how often do they update it? Do you have any idea what the DVDs cost? I'm just curious because my neighborhood is brand new. The road I live on didn't exist 4 months ago. In fact, it's JUST now showing up on google maps. Just wondering how that would work w/ the Nav...
I'd be very surprised if the Acadia's system is that current. Typically, the manufacturers release (read: sell) updated disks about once a year. Even then, the maps usually lag 6 months to more than year. All the manufacturers buy their mapping data from a couple of mapping companies, and then format the data for their specific navi systems.

Kelly

·
Registered
360 Posts
The company I think that GM uses is Denso...Atleast this is who supplies the Corvette.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Navagation is something that you can use everyday for every trip (if just for the map and GPS feature). Whereas, it would get very old, very quick to call Onstar for turn-by-turn directions.

Basically, it is directions versus an actual map.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Adam Boca said:
The company I think that GM uses is Denso...Atleast this is who supplies the Corvette.....
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/11/13/028521.html

Navigation System Ranking by Vehicle Model
(Based on a 1,000-point scale)

Supplier Model Index Score
Pioneer Lincoln Zephyr 844
Alpine Acura TSX 838
Alpine Acura RL 825
Denso Lexus IS 821
Denso Lincoln Town Car 821
Pioneer Ford Freestyle 815
Alpine Honda Ridgeline 813
Pioneer Ford Explorer 812
Alpine Honda Civic 812
Alpine Honda Accord 810
Alpine Honda Civic Hybrid 810
Pioneer Ford Five Hundred 807
Alpine Acura TL 804
Alpine Dodge Durango 803
Alpine Honda Pilot 802
Alpine Dodge Charger 800
Denso Lexus GS 800
Pioneer Mercury Mountaineer 799
Xanavi Nissan Quest 798
Alpine Honda Odyssey 796
Xanavi Infiniti M 796
Alpine Dodge Ram 793
Xanavi Nissan Z 793
Delphi Chevrolet TrailBlazer 790
Alpine Chrysler 300/300C 789
Delphi Chevrolet Avalanche 785
Denso Lincoln LS 784
Denso Toyota Sienna 783
Xanavi Nissan Maxima 781
Xanavi Nissan Pathfinder 780
Alpine Jeep Grand Cherokee 777
Denso Lincoln Navigator 775
Kenwood Subaru Legacy 774
Alpine Jeep Commander 773
Siemens VDO BMW 3 Series 770
Alpine Dodge Grand Caravan 770
Siemens VDO MINI Cooper/Cooper S 769
Denso Toyota Tundra 769
Denso Lexus LS 430 768
Denso Chevrolet Corvette 767
NA Industry Average 767
Alpine Dodge Magnum 766
Denso Cadillac DTS 761
Denso Toyota Prius 759
Denso Lexus RX 330 758
Alpine Acura MDX 757
Xanavi Nissan Titan 757
Kenwood Subaru B9 Tribeca 757
Delphi GMC Envoy 753
Denso Mazda3 753
Blaupunkt Volkswagen Jetta 753
Xanavi Nissan Altima 752
Xanavi Nissan Murano 751
Denso Toyota Sequoia 748
Denso Toyota Camry 745
Visteon Ford Escape Hybrid 744
Denso Toyota Highlander 744
Denso Mazda5 742
Aisin AW Audi A3 739
Kenwood Subaru Outback 739
Blaupunkt Volkswagen Passat 739
Alpine Chrysler Pacifica 737
Siemens VDO BMW 5-Series 731
Harman/Becker Mercedes-Benz SLK 722
Alpine Chrysler Town & Country 717
Aisin AW Audi A4 716
Denso Toyota Avalon 716
Alpine Mercedes-Benz C-Class 715
Visteon Ford Expedition 706
Alpine Jeep Liberty 705
Visteon Mercury Mariner Hybrid 698

Included in the study but not ranked due to small sample size are: Audi A6 (Harman/Becker), Audi A8 (Harman/Becker), Audi S4 (Aisin AW), BMW 6-Series (Siemens VDO), BMW 7-Series (Siemens VDO), BMW M3 (Siemens VDO), BMW M5 (Siemens VDO), BMW X3 (Siemens VDO), BMW X5 (Siemens VDO), Cadillac CTS (Delphi), Cadillac Escalade EXT (Delphi), Cadillac Escalade/ESV (Delphi), Cadillac SRX (Denso), Cadillac STS (Denso), Cadillac XLR (Denso), Chevrolet Suburban (Delphi), Chevrolet Tahoe (Delphi), GMC Yukon XL/Denali XL (Delphi), GMC Yukon\Denali (Delphi), HUMMER H2 (Delphi), HUMMER H3 (Delphi), Infiniti FX (Xanavi), Infiniti G35 (Xanavi), Infiniti QX (Xanavi), Jaguar S-Type (Denso), Jaguar XJ (Denso), Jaguar XK (Denso), Jaguar X-Type (Denso), Land Rover LR3(Denso), Land Rover Range Rover (Denso), Lexus ES (Denso), Lexus GX 470 (Denso), Lexus LX 470 (Denso), Lexus, RX 400H (Denso), Lexus SC430 (Denso), Mercedes-Benz CLK (Alpine), Mercedes-Benz CLS (Harman/Becker), Mercedes-Benz E-Class (Harman/Becker), Mercedes-Benz M-Class (Alpine), Mercedes-Benz R-Class (Alpine), Mercedes-Benz S-Class (Becker-Siemens), Mercedes-Benz SL-Class (Becker-Siemens), Nissan Armada (Xanavi), Porsche 911 (Harman/Becker), Porsche Cayenne (Harman/Becker), Toyota Land Cruiser (Denso), Volkswagen Touareg (Blaupunkt) and Volvo XC90 (Mitsubishi Electric).

Biz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts