GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I have been waiting over the past month and a half for the Acadia we want to show up at one of our local dealerships. (Liquid silver over black SLT2, AWD, Towing, DVD, Nav, sunroofs...in essence a fully loaded veh.) One of the dealers I have been working with in the San Diego area calls me the other day and states that he has a 2008 "dealer demo" with 5K miles on the odometer that he would be able to make me what he called a "sweet" deal on. Even though it was not our first choice in colors, my wife and I agreed that if the price was right we would comprimise on the color since it had all of the other features that we wanted. The fact that it already has 5K miles on it was also something we could overlook if the price were adjusted accordingly. To get my ducks in row, I checked through the KBB web site and priced out what a used 07 with the same options and miles would be failrly priced at through a retailer. After ariving at the dealership, I did a thorough check of the vehicle and found a few small scratches in the rear bumper, one of the wheels had a small curb scuff on the rim and a parking lot door ding on the passengers side door. Even though the car had just been "detailed" per the salesman it still needed more attention to the interior. Even with the miles as well as the cosmetic flaws my wife and I talked it over agreed that if the price were right, we would buy it. Even though it has never been titled, the vehicle in essence was a used car.

After a few price adjustments back and forth, the dealership would not budge lower than the invoice price. Even after pointing out the obvious flaws as well is showing him what I had researched in the internet, he would not budge. I even offered to split the difference between the invoice price of the 08 and the 07 used price I researched through KBB. The answer was still "no". :banghead:

This got even more confusing when he stated that due to my profession, he offered to order exactly what I wanted with every option I wanted and pay just $300.00 over invoice price with no haggling. I would just have to wait approximately 2 months for the car to come in. :'(

So I pointed out that if I understood him correctly, if I agreed to purchase the demo vehicle that was on the lot I would be getting in essence a "used " vehicle and would only save $300.00? He replied "yes" ???

I explained that I was ready to purchase that car right there and would pay cash if he came down just a little more to reflect what I thought the vehicle should be more fairly priced at due to its flaws and miles. Still no deal.

Needless to say, I walked out on that deal. I left the dealership my phone number and told them to call me if they wanted to come down to a more fair price.

I realize that the dealership is not going to give away its vehicles but I believe my offer was very fair for the condition of that vehicle.
Back to the drawing board and the search for our new Acadia. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow, I don't see how they were trying to justify invoice price for a used vehicle like that. Seems crazy to me. I would have walked out just like you did. Good luck in your continued search!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first thought is sending him a bill for wasting your time. I too am happy that you just walked out. The right deal will materialize for you at the right time.
K

·
Registered
956 Posts
You did the right thing. These are nice vehicles, but not nice enough to get screwed on the deal. Who knows who has been driving it? Was it broken in properly or thrashed? I would wait for a new one.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with Big Bear Craig. NO CAR is worth getting screwed on the deal! Good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
****Update to my original post****

I was able to find the car I was looking for through a different dealer and I was able to get the price down to several hundred dollars under invoice after the GM Conquest and Southern California Fire Victims bonus.

My wife and I are now the proud owners of a 2008 Carbon Black SLT2 AWD with all the options we wanted.

:cheers:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congratulations. Glad everything worked out for you in the end. I just took delivery of mine last night, so I understand the excitement. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts