GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's battery died and I was hoping to jump start it with my Acadia. I know the Acadia's battery is behind the driver, but can I just use the battery posts/terminals under the hood?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Prisky said:
...but can I just use the battery posts/terminals under the hood?
Yes. I've done that to assist a motorist in need with a dead battery on the side of the road. Worked just fine. You do not need to search out the battery.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Actually it is much safer that way.
No battery to explode.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not sure if you eliminate that problem. Generally the giver is using the engine and the receiver is who's battery blows.

If the Acadia were to be given a jump, same would apply.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think the main reason a battery would explode would be from a spark that ignites the gas from the battery. Given that the battery would be far away from the spark, and not next to it, I think that it would nearly eliminate it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Before jump starting any car consider one thing. Is the car you jumping just have a weak/dead battery or is something else wrong. I jumped my dads van with my Pontiac not knowing the starter was a dead short. My volt meter took a dive when he tried to start it. The car IMO was never the same. I believe something happened to the alternator where it still worked but became slow to turn on ,possible a regulator. I have jumped many cars but if possible I would rather take the time to properly charge the battery or use a jumper pack which can be picked up pretty cheap if you look around.

Bobby

·
Registered
381 Posts
GAR said:
I think the main reason a battery would explode would be from a spark that ignites the gas from the battery. Given that the battery would be far away from the spark, and not next to it, I think that it would nearly eliminate it.
So...you've never tried reversing the terminals?....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Speaking up Jumping :mad:... I Got a call from my wife this morning that when she went to take the kiddos to school this norning the Acadia would not start... Yes our '09 with 1200 miles was dead. Actualy she said the lights came on but the engine would not start. I ended up calling roadside assistance for her and they came and jumped it. I drove it last night and there were no issues but it sits in the garage overnight and the battery goes dead! I picked up a jump box tonight and showed my wife how to jump her brand new car. I hope this is not going to be a comon issue.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Sandhopper said:
Speaking up Jumping :mad:... I Got a call from my wife this morning that when she went to take the kiddos to school this norning the Acadia would not start... Yes our '09 with 1200 miles was dead. Actualy she said the lights came on but the engine would not start. I ended up calling roadside assistance for her and they came and jumped it. I drove it last night and there were no issues but it sits in the garage overnight and the battery goes dead! I picked up a jump box tonight and showed my wife how to jump her brand new car. I hope this is not going to be a comon issue.
Do you have the NAV system?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yup, I that the issue... I was playing with it last night while a was ramming around gathering scripts for the sick kiddo.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
jsimms said:
Sandhopper said:
Do you have the NAV system?
That's what I was thinking.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Maybe there is some kind of wiring snafu with the NAV system on some Acadia's because not everyone with NAV has battery issues.

HEAR YE....HEAR YE

THIS FORUM CALLS TMUNDAL TO THE STAND FOR SOME HELP WITH A INTERMITTENT NAV WIRING ISSUE; well maybe but it couldn't hurt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well at least my better half nows how to use the new jump box. Should I keep in in the trunk???? I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Sandhopper said:
Well at least my better half nows how to use the new jump box. Should I keep in in the trunk???? I guess time will tell.
I would at least until it doesn't go dead again; maybe a few months

·
Registered
423 Posts
GAR said:
its a sealed battery so there is no gas leakage. they do have a small vent, but we are talking small enough to only let enough gas out to relieve pressure under abnormal use. the gas doesnt really get to escape since the design is different than the traditional wet type. the electrolyte is mixed with silica based or glass fibers. the (gas valves) inside essentially recycle the gases that do escape.
at least that is the way i understand it to be.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Old post I know - My inlaws car was dead over the weekend (no wonder - it sits idle all winter while they're in FL) so I tried jumping it from the Acadia but no luck. I used the positive terminal under the hood and the negative post that juts out from the firewall and still no luck. Bad cables maybe or maybe something else wrong with the other vehicle.

·
Registered
946 Posts
mikemu said:
Old post I know - My inlaws car was dead over the weekend (no wonder - it sits idle all winter while they're in FL) so I tried jumping it from the Acadia but no luck. I used the positive terminal under the hood and the negative post that juts out from the firewall and still no luck. Bad cables maybe or maybe something else wrong with the other vehicle.
How long did you let the dead vehicle charge from the Acadia?
If it was really DEAD then it might take awhile to build up enough before it can be started.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
50andretired said:
How long did you let the dead vehicle charge from the Acadia?
If it was really DEAD then it might take awhile to build up enough before it can be started.
Ah ha - I just connected the cables and tried to start the dead one but all I got was the clicking. After fiddling with the cables a few times, I just gave up.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
You need to hook it up again and run your Acadia at about 1500 - 2000 rpm for a few minutes to get some juice into the other battery. It helps to have someone else attempt to start the dead car while you give a lot more gas on the Acadia. It is very hard on the working vehicle to jump start a dead battery.

When I'm using my battery charger for my ATV I charge it overnight on 15 amps when dead, I trickle charge it with the 2 amp setting the rest of the winter, and when completely dead and I need to start I have a start-cycle built into my charger that runs at 100 amp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts