GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the current talks of GM buying Chrysler from Daimler, do you think GM would add Dodge into the platorm sharing lineup, or Jeep or that matter? For the first time there is a Dodge sharing a Jeep platform, and I wonder how that is doing. I saw the first Compass on the road yesterday. I cannot believe that Jeepheads would accept that car.

Would it work for GM to even add Chrysler or Dodge to the current brands? Dodge has the Magnum and Charger, and new Challenger, which are all fairly cool, but are they selling? Chrysler has the 300 and I guess the PT Cruiser and Pacifica must sell, but I don't even know what else they have. I can see keeping the Jeep brand alive and having a second nearly unique brand like Hummer, but I might be inclined just to make the Jeep Wrangler a GMC or Hummer and dispose of the rest of the Jeep lineup.

I could possibly see the Lambda used in the Jeep lineup as a new Grand Waggoneer, although that name might work better on the Yukon/Suburban platform.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As a GM fan, I would hate for GM to buy Chrysler, as I can't find one product in their line up that GM should have. But for the orginal topic posted, maybe as a replacement for the Pacifica.

·
Registered
619 Posts
mitchl said:
I saw the first Compass on the road yesterday. I cannot believe that Jeepheads would accept that car.
While researching cars to purchase, we looked at Chrysler and Jeep products. In the showroom, there was a Jeep Patriot, sort of a cross between the Cherokee and Wrangler. The dealer said that after 6 months, Jeep was dropping the Compass and the Patriot is the replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
LOL, I wondered when this topic would show up on here. Rumors have spread that the Pacifica is nearing "end of life", so that's a pretty good guess. They'll have a pretty severe gap in the 'full size crossover' market then...

IMO, GM is finally doing so many things right, turning themselves around and just about dug free of the financial hole they were in. Why buy another company in that same place they were 3 years ago? Very dangerous...

·
Registered
215 Posts
admin said:
IMO, GM is finally doing so many things right, turning themselves around and just about dug free of the financial hole they were in. Why buy another company in that same place they were 3 years ago? Very dangerous...
agreed. I just don't see where this is a good fit at all. Chrysler just doesn't have much of a product right now and not much hope for improvement.

I've owned 2 Jeep Wranglers, 2 Grand Cherokees and 2 Durangos in the last 15 years but have switched to GM partly due to Chrysler losing focus on product. GM on the other hand has "gotten religion" and started pumping out really nice products! Chrysler has mismanaged their way into a hole and GM just isn't strong enough IMHO to get them out. Alliance maybe. Outright purchase? I just don't see it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read (on Autoblog, IIRC) that those talks are supposedly about Chrysler licensing GM's GMT 900 platform (2007 Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade/etc.) because they don't have any model in that size range (I guess the Durango isn't large enough?!) Doesn't make much since to me, large SUVs are a declining market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remember Mercedes merged with them in what some believed would breathe life into Dodge. Now Mercedes is running away screaming. I think they are about willing to do anything to get out of that tar pit. I would really hate GM to waste money on purchasing anything having to do with Dodge.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Now that Cerberus Capital has agreed to buy Chrysler off of Daimler I do not think any merger with GM is in the plans. However, Cerberus did purchase a majority stake (51%) of the GMAC financing unit of GM last year so anything is possible. Most of the interest we are paying on our vehicles helped this company purchase Chrysler ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts