Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Trailering Package
« Reply #24 on: Today at 05:11:24 AM » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had ordered and installed the factory trailer receiver hitch and electrical receptical... Installation was fairly easy... But I can only get the park lights on the trailer to work. The turn signals and brakes do not work. I had given up and took it to the dealer...

Ok - so taking it in to the dealer did not help any - so far. After 4 hours of playing with it...

I appears that the factory wiring harness for the basic trailering (4 wire) on the none towing package models is none functioning. The ones with the towing package are fine. If it did not come with the towing package then there is a wiring harness tucked up under the bumper for what one would think is for use if you decided to add a hitch...

Here is the interesting part. You would need to add relay and fuse for the LT Turn/Brake light and one for the RT Turn/Brake light... But the catch is that there are not contacts on one side of the relay socket... Basically no way to activate the wiring. We even did a side by side comparision of two on the show room floor. The one with the towing package had a fuse box with contacts for all four points of the relay. It also had a 7 wire harness (LT turn, RT turn, brake, ground, power, reverse lights and electronic brakes). The one without the towing package had a 4 wire (LT turn, RT turn, brake and ground) and only 2 contacts in the fuse box for the 4 pronged relay.

The dealer called tech support... they had no idea. Then they got a hold of a master tech (with tech support). He said it looked like it may have been a design flaw and the dealer needed to replace the fuse box with a V92 fuse box (the one for the CUVs with the towing option).

They were going to order one.... I left.

Three hours later one of the service intake guys called me to tell me that they (shop guys) have been discussing the issue and do not think that replacing the fuse box will solve my problem and their for is not really an issue since mine did not come with a towing package.... and that it would not be covered under warranty. Yes = I add the factory parts... Hitch and electrical receptical... He even admitted that he does not know anything about trailers or wiring for them.

Well of course that just set me off. Basically I told him that I guess instead of talking to him I should be turning this over to my lawyer as this vehical has a design fault and that they are not going to do anything to rectify it. Yes there was more discussion before that statement came out...

Never the less - he directed me to Saturn's Customer Service Center... I called them - reported the issue. They called the dealerships general manager and he was out. They will be getting in touch with him on Monday now to "see what can be worked out"...

I am going to argue with them on this one...

Am I wrong? I think a factory wiring harness - that came on the vehicle - should work.

mmm If it is not something that they can make work... Lemon Law.

Hey they built the vehicle with the wiring harness....

Now that I am done venting... If there is anyone out there that is trying to add either a factory or aftermarket (yes - there are a few out now). Please let me know how it goes on getting the electrical worked out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Added poll...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem, but my situation is a little different - I paid the dealer $500 to install a GM hitch as part of the original purchase, so I expect that between the dealer and GM, they will find a way to make it right.

Dealer sevice had no idea that the harness was non-functional, so it was delivered non-functional. Based on your post, I tested my trailer lights as soon as I got home, and sure enough, nothing worked. Back at the dealer the next day, service confirmed my claim and called tech support. After a long wait and "discussions" about how absurd it was for GM to deliver a vehicle with a non-functional harness, they ordered the appropriate parts - relays and a board for a trailer hitch equipped vehicle.

They informed me that when the parts come in, this will be about a 3 hour job because they have to do a lot of re-programming with a new board. They also mentioned something about reprogramming the transmisison for trailering. My transmission had already been reprogrammed for the recall, so I hope this means that they will include a functional tow/haul button. My guess is that this transmission must be especially senstitive to the rigors of towing or they probably would not have worried about this unless I raised the issue.

Will update next week when the work is done...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JKB said:
I have the same problem, but my situation is a little different - I paid the dealer $500 to install a GM hitch as part of the original purchase, so I expect that between the dealer and GM, they will find a way to make it right.

Dealer sevice had no idea that the harness was non-functional, so it was delivered non-functional. Based on your post, I tested my trailer lights as soon as I got home, and sure enough, nothing worked. Back at the dealer the next day, service confirmed my claim and called tech support. After a long wait and "discussions" about how absurd it was for GM to deliver a vehicle with a non-functional harness, they ordered the appropriate parts - relays and a board for a trailer hitch equipped vehicle.

They informed me that when the parts come in, this will be about a 3 hour job because they have to do a lot of re-programming with a new board. They also mentioned something about reprogramming the transmisison for trailering. My transmission had already been reprogrammed for the recall, so I hope this means that they will include a functional tow/haul button. My guess is that this transmission must be especially senstitive to the rigors of towing or they probably would not have worried about this unless I raised the issue.

Please keep me / us posted - I am waiting to hear how it goes for you... My dealer is still telling me that I need to take it and get an aftermarket wiring installed .... basically splicing wires... I disagree.

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow,
That sure seems lot a lot of confusion to add hitch wiring, I agree, wonder why GM made it so user unfriendly if you did not buy the hitch package with the Acadia!
Mine came with a hitch as I wanted the Acadia to be an all-around vehicle even with my rare towing sessions. By the time you pay a GM garage to do three or four hours work for the programming/wiring and then mounting a hitch and you own valuable (I assume) time, you're going to have twice the factory option price of the tow option! :banghead:
Makes the tow option the best value on the planet! Maybe GM planned it that way? (Nah, couldn't be >:D)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JKB said:

Any update? Just wondering how it went and what all they had to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm scheduled to have the new board and relays installed next Wednesday.

My previous post was based on discussions with the sales manager. When making the service appointment, I asked the service manager about the tow/haul button and reprogramming my transmission. He indicated that I would not be getting the tow/haul button and my transmission has already been reprogrammed, so my earlier post about reprogramming the transmission again for pulling a trailer was based on some miscommunication.

They expect the job to take about 3 hours because installation of the new board requires a lot of reprogramming. Perhaps that is what the miscommunication was about - the transmission and many other things might have to be reprogrammed with the new board, but only to get back to where you started with the old board. The only benefit with the new board is to be able to plug in the 4 wire harness that comes with all vehicles without the tow package.

The bottom line is that this appears to be a design flaw. GM includes a 4 wire tow harness on all vehicles that do not have a tow package, but the harness cannot be made functional without major surgery.

GM should either upgrade the board that they use for vehicles that do not have the tow package so the 4 wire harness they provide can be functional, or they should install the tow package board on all units and provide a live 4 wire harnesses on vehicles without the tow package and a live 7 wire harnesses on vehicles equipped with the tow package.

I will update again after the installation next Wednesday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The work that I mentioned earlier was done yesterday and my receipt says "Replaced fuse panel for V92 Option." My trailer plug works now for my 4 wire trailer (no electric brakes) and all is well.

There is no mention of "warranty" on my receipt so I assume that the dealer paid for the new fuse board and the labor to install it. As I mentioned before, I paid $500 to have the hitch and wiring added as part of the original purchase, so I didn't expect to pay for the additional work to make the 4 wire harness functional. Their total cost was probably over $500, so you would be wise to get the factory tow package even if there is only a small chance that you will need it - adding it afterwards is expensive and difficult without splicing wires...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the new v92 fuse panel installed the other day to make the 4 wires fully functional at the back.

Covered 100% under warranty.

I guess it's a real quick change from talking to the Tech. Unscrew and unplug old fuse panel from wiring harness, plug in new fuse panel, pop in 2 relays to the new panel as the old one did allow the 2 relays to even be plugged in (hence the need for replacement of the whole fuse panel) and that's it.

Then we discussed adding trailer brake wiring. Doesn't sound too bad. Run a + wire from the battery (since it's already half way to the 7-pin plug as compared to running off the positive jumper post under the hood). The tricky part will be running the wire from the Brake Controller box all the way to the 7-pin plug. Oh well, at least it should work, and within GM Spec... No warranty issues!!! ;D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is great to hear.... I will be going back to my dealer in a couple of weeks - I am currently out of town for work. Thanks for the info.

Just by chance - did you receipt happen to have a part number?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ordered mine with the tow package, but the wiring is not working properly. My lights and turn signals work ok, but when I tried reverse my trailer brakes were locking up. I took it to a trailer dealership and they tested the system and found that the wiring was not working properly. On the 7 wire harness it's the center post thats not working, and the fuse is good. The Acadia is going to GMC for service on monday. I'm not happy...I've only had it a week and already in the shop!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We haven't tried towing yet and won't until at least summer. Do you think we need to "test" the wiring before we use it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Probably wouldn't hurt to test it before you need it ;D That way, you're not scrambling around at the
last minute if somethings wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
GMC has a Major problem with the wiring on the Acadia!!!! Mine has been at the dealership for three days and as they are unable to fix the wiring problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
crash2864 said:
I ordered mine with the tow package, but the wiring is not working properly. My lights and turn signals work ok, but when I tried reverse my trailer brakes were locking up. I took it to a trailer dealership and they tested the system and found that the wiring was not working properly. On the 7 wire harness it's the center post thats not working, and the fuse is good. The Acadia is going to GMC for service on monday. I'm not happy...I've only had it a week and already in the shop!!!
take your vehicle and trailer back to the trailer shop (or a different one perhaps) ... i highly doubt there is anything wrong with your Acadia. in the 7 pin harness world, there are 2 different ways to wire in the brakes. the center pin is used either for reverse lights or brakes. The Acadia is likely wired so that the center pin is the reverse lights, so when you put the vehicle in reverse, 12v is applied to the center pin, and that voltage activates your trailer brakes. What you need to do is flip the wiring on the trailer. you need to swap pin 2 and the center pin's wiring. see diagram below.....

while a dealer might/should flip the wiring on the vehicle for you at no charge, i wouldnt guarantee it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This was already covered in another thread and I actually had the same suggestion you did. He has a surge brake with a solenoid on the trailer that is supposed to lock out the brakes when the car is in reverse. There really is a problem with the wiring and he already got it fixed by the dealer with a "bypass" wire. I tested my center lug with a meter as well and it also doesn't work as a backup lug like it is supposed to. It's on my list for the first service but there definitely is a problem with the center lug. On mine, all the others tested fine with the exception of the brake lug (which I don't have hooked up to a controller, so I don't know if it's OK or not).

·
Registered
395 Posts
mckcab said:
We haven't tried towing yet and won't until at least summer. Do you think we need to "test" the wiring before we use it?
I don't know what kind of trailer you have but if it's just a small one with no brakes, You will need an adapter from 7 lug to probably 4 pin flat. The Hoppy adaptor they sell at Wal-Mart (about $10) has built in LED's for testing. I haven't heard of any problems with the 4 wires for lights- all the issues seem to be related to the backup and brake signals. Testing with the adaptor is simple- just plug it in and turn on your headlights and hazards. All three leds should light up (one steady & two blinking). No need to hook up a trailer to test the vehicle side of it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts